Couple of questions from a new guy.

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First post as I just got my account approved, and I love the site. Not a owner (yet) but hope to have one within the next 10 years, hopefully less. I recently found what could be an answer to my dreams. There is someone here in Owings Mills Maryland that gives "Training Rides" for $75/hr. To me this is a bargain to drive one of my dream cars. Does anyone know anything about this?

Just wanting to know if you fine folks have any tips for someone who has never driven a Viper before (other than keep the shinny side up)? I believe that I am an above average driver (but who dosen't) and have had some driving experience with mildy powerful cars (M3, '03 Cobra, and Firehawk). I don't want to make a fool of myself but I do want to get the most out of my hour.

Thanks in advance for the tips, and I hope to join you all someday in the dream that is Viper ownership. :usa:

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure if you punch it that the car is straight or the rear wheels will brake loose, Dont punch it in a turn or your gonna fishtail big time, This car has tremoendous Torque. Other than that shift smooth and hold on for dear life! Enjoy.. Oh and one other thing..you can break the wheels loose in 2nd and third gears as well...

Adam :headbang: :2tu:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The first time I drove a Viper was a 97 GTS, and I punched it a little bit in first, ok so far, with mild wheel spin. That went ok, so I thought I'd get on it a little harder. When I hit second, the back end started to come around, so I got off it quick. Moral of the story is, don't punch it hard unless its pointed straight! Learn the limits gradually. Eventually you will want more power! That the stage I'm at, having gotten used to 450+HP, I'm wondering what 650 feels like.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard and good luck with your venture. Beware of the non stop grin that you'll have while driving the Viper and all the attention that it attracts. :cool:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I presume that for the $75 on the "training ride" the owner is going to ride along with you and give you some instruction. The comments about keeping it straight are important -- have the owner also tell you about the 1st to 4th skipshift and do some gentle tests with the brakes to get to know about them before you have to use them in a panic. You'll love it. All Viper salesmen have to do to sell a car is allow one test drive!

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I have to admit that I am suprised by the quick comments, I appreciate it. So far the tips have been what I expected, i.e. don't punch it on an off ramp heh. With the skip shift, how does that work? Dosen't engage after a certain RPM or what?

From what I read the owner does in fact ride along. I cannot imagine anyone crazy enough to let someone out with a Viper for only $75 by themselves.

Cool thing too is that he said that you are welcome to bring a video camera along to record your trip. That is somthing that I will definately do. Probably watch it 100 times a day heh.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh yeah, I will definately have that in the back of my mind. Don't want my memories video to end up as evidence in court heh.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to really learn how to drive any car is on the track. Are these "$75 training rides" on a track or just a trip around the block?

Go to a ViperDays.com near you sometime and find somebody to give you a ride.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the skip shift, how does that work? Dosen't engage after a certain RPM or what?

The skip shift disengages at about 20 mph in 1st. You will never notice it. I have driven my Viper ifor 3 years including stop/go traffic and have had it activate only twice.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd shoot to Vegas and rent a Viper for 4 hours, couple of hundred of bucks.

Try rent-a-vette just off the strip, they have clean straight cars.

Be forewarned after flogging a Viper up in the mountains I had one in my garage shortly thereafter!!haha

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus, that is exactally who I am talking about. Do you know him or have any experience with his setup? I was suprised to find out that he was in Owings Mills, the only Viper I have seen around my place is a black SRT-10 that was visiting someone. All hell how about you just come over and give me a ride heh jking. Thanks again for the tips guys.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
426, I've talked to Zoomie on email, he's a nice guy. I think his idea is just to make a few extra bucks on the side, so he rents out his viper short term.

I am not sure exactly what his "training ride" entails.

Wait till the weather gets nice and more people take their cars out of hiding. I know they've had meets before in the Owings mills area. You also have Jason Heffner's shop in Glen Burnie, he is a very well regarded Viper tuner.

As for me, I'm from Philly but have family in Towson... next time I'm in the area, I'd be happy to take you around the block.

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Magic, wow thanks for the offer. I would certainly take you up on the offer, and take ya to lunch for the experience. Got a Red Robin down the road, some of the best burgers around.

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, you are dispelling the "elitist" myths I've heard too many times. So far seems to me that everyone here is really nice and down to earth.

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i bought a 2000 r/t about 3 weeks ago. before that, i had never even sat in a viper. i as you consider myself a good driver, but was still intimidated the first time i fired it up. that said, just respect the car, don't lay into it unless you have the wheel straight (or know what to expect if you have the wheel turn - especially if it's wet)! you will flat love it. there is nothing like driving a viper! i say go for it! i've never heard of your maryland setup, but don't let the chance to drive one pass you by, especially if it's only $75 :2tu: . bet you get one faster than 10 years after you do!

OP
OP

426Hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definately plan on giving Zoomie my business, he does seem like a real nice guy. Answered all my questions that I have had. I cannot wait. Maybe I'll post the pic of my perma-grin.