Crack in Timing Cover near Oil Filter

mmcturk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was changing my oil and noticed a crack around the oil filter area. Is this something that I need to fix immediately, or just watch to make sure it doesn't increase in size? The crack is within the seal of the oil filter so I don't see any reason for it to leak. I have attached a photo of the crack. Let me know what you think? Has anyone ever fixed a crack with welding?
You must be registered for see images attach

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not actually the timing cover. The oil adapter will come off if you disconnect the lines and remove 4 other small bolts. Pretty easy and I'd replace that.

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That doesn't look like a crack to me, more like a casting line. If you took a die grinder and smoothed up the area you could tell if it is indeed a crack. Because of the area you are working in (oil passage), you will have to be very careful with chip/grinding grit contamination. I would leave it alone.

Frank

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't look like a crack to me, more like a casting line. If you took a die grinder and smoothed up the area you could tell if it is indeed a crack. Because of the area you are working in (oil passage), you will have to be very careful with chip/grinding grit contamination. I would leave it alone.

Frank
I agree, I think you'll be fine to do nothing, and just drive it.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thats not a crack, thats a casting mark. And yes, that is the timing cover. Gen-3/4 does not have a removable filter adapter.