Crank bolt pin kit recommended on stock engines?

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at the crank bolt pin kit online (is Roe the only person that makes this?) and was wondering if this is necessary on a stock motor? I know they put them on the S/C cars due to them backing out.

Also, how exactly do you remove or tighten the bolt? I put a socket on the bolt to turn it and the entire crank spun? Do I need to lock or jam it somehow to get it to tighten?

Thx

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not needed but its not a terrible idea. Roe sells the most common one for vipers and his has the guide to help drill it. its not very hard to do, just doube check, drill slow. if yours is tight, leave it alone

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If worried, I put a white paint mark on my Bolt / Balancer and inspect at oil changes / general inspections for mark misalignment.

blown daytona

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my flywheel inspection cover off, held the flywheel with a large pry bar, had another person work the torque wrench. Mine was tight and I also marked the bolt with a paint pen

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, how exactly do you remove or tighten the bolt? I put a socket on the bolt to turn it and the entire crank spun? Do I need to lock or jam it somehow to get it to tighten?

Put transmission in 1st or reverse gear and set emergency brake to maximum.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Put transmission in 1st or reverse gear and set emergency brake to maximum.

Negative. FOURTH gear. First and Reverse have a far higher torque multiplication than 4th, and are not any stronger. In the case of Reverse, it is the weakest gear in the transmission. 1 and R are a quick way to knock a car off ramps/jack-stands during torquing by accident.

On topic, there is no downside to keying or pinning a damper in place. We key every engine build that goes through here- its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Last edited: