Crower camshaft

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even more interesting a stroker kit for $7,800 is this new? Finally someplace other than a high price tuner for Viper engine parts.

>>Features a Crower stroker billet crank and 6.120" rod combination, along with custom pistons, rings, pins, bearings and total system balancing included. Titanium rods are optional. Up to 1000 horsepower.

Cost: $7800 for steel rod kit / $9950 for titanium rod kit.
http://www.crower.com/viper.html

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1bad,

I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag but we dynoed today and on motor made 515 rwhp with the STOCK CAM and 780 rwhp on spray.

We did this with no computer learning miles on a new package that we are finalizing that will enable folks to maximize their "total horsepower" availability without loosing ANY drivability that is normally associated with cam changes.

There is probably another 25-30 RWHP in adding a cam at this point, but the drivability tradeoff has been a negative from alot of customers who have went the cam route. Not to mention, that if one gets tired of the poor idle and drivabiliy the cost associated with a cam change are high as the heads have to come off along with most other items bolted to the block.

Just my $ .02. We will keep everyone posted on our dragstrip results both on motor and with nitrous as soon as we can get to the track.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

P.S. We will be testing a cam combination on a 2001 Viper shortly and will post results. This car has already ran mid 10's with a completely stock engine(on nitrous, Joe......relax)

As for Crower Cams, they have been in the drag racing industry for........well as long as I can remember and they have continued to produce great products. Im sure that their cam would perfom. Dan Cragin has also been at the TOP of our industry for longer than most and can also recommend cam combinations that make power for all who may be so inclined.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my 95 we picked up about 100 rear hp with the proper cam swap and head combo. DLM installed (experimented) two different cams that didn't really make much difference until we changed the header combination. The total package made the most difference, not the cam by itself.

Max

Jason Heffner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah you guys are right, that stroker kit sounds good. The only problem is that it takes about a year to get one if you're lucky. They don't exactly keep them on the shelf and the last time I tried to order one I was pretty much blown off by Dave Crower. He did not seem interested in making the crank in the least bit. I ended up having to have Moldex make me a crank. They were the only ones that seemed remotely interested in doing it.

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good replies. I thought it might be helpful to contribute some additional information.

Jacky mentioned it's a 99. The camshaft in a 99 is not very aggressive. I also noticed that there is only mention of a camshaft. I would highly recommend that anyone who considers a camshaft upgrade should definitely consider a head upgrade either before adding a cam or during the cam installation to save labor costs and maximize the performance gains.

Another consideration is emissions. I am not sure what laws exist up in Canada, but so far California emissions seem to be the toughest out there. We make sure all of our packages pass the emissions sniffer for street cars. Other than Dan C., I am not sure if other tuners do this, but it is important to check into. As for camshafts, we offer 2 custom grinds, both pass CA sniffer tests.

Next Jacky asked what other mods should be done with the addition of a camshaft. As I recommended above, heads make sense, but for added strength and increased reliability, I recommend upgrading the lifters, rockers, pushrods,true roller timing chain, computer tuning, and harmonic balancer.

Most importantly, make sure you install the components by someone who knows Vipers. They should save you some time because they should already know what to install with it. APEX Motorsports' Viper tech has been working on Vipers for over 6 years. We are unique in that we offer an in-house dynojet with Viper computer tuning and engine monitoring software. Our camshaft packages offer no driveability issues that are common with some other camshafts we have seen: No erratic idles, no problems with cold starting, no hanging idles whe coming to a stop, no surging under light throttle conditions, no low end loss in power torque, etc..

Even though our packages pass the sniffer, we can still make GREAT performance gains, due to the fact we design the components to work together properly to maximize the gains.
Here are some dyno numbers to think about...

Stock 2001 ACR: 398 hp, 442tq

With headers, exhaust, no cats: 432hp, 481tq

LETHAL 650 (w/cam, heads, intake, rockers, computer tuning):
bounce.gif
572hp, 590tq
bounce.gif

The right combination of parts that truly work together makes a huge difference!!!
Hope this helps! Good Luck.
-Wayne (LTHL VPR)

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LTHL VPR:
for added strength and increased reliability, I recommend upgrading the lifters, rockers, pushrods,true roller timing chain

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wayne, I don't mean to sound dumb. What is a "true roller timing chain?" I would also be interested in purchasing better lifters. Can I buy them locally or do I have to purchase them at the dealer? If I could save a few bucks it would be great -- thanks!

Cheers,
Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang