Curious-what will my GTS do in the 1/4 mile??

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I strictly road race my 99 gts ORECA replica and I am not much into drag racing but I am asked a lot what kind of times it does in the quarter mile. The car is a 650 pkg. that dynos at 586 rwhp with 3:45 gears and street tires. No nos or turbo stuff. Considering a driver who knows how to drag properly, average temp. and humidity, dry track etc., what will this car do? Especially helpful if someone is running this set-up. Thanks.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not take it out to a track once and find out? I'm not much into drag racing either but I went to the local track just to see what it could do.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm usually good at guessing this stuff for some reason. With slicks, I can see you doing about 10.6 @141. Without 11.2@132.

Haha, now go out and do it and tell me how close I am!

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not take it out to a track once and find out? I'm not much into drag racing either but I went to the local track just to see what it could do.
Well, what were your times? Same set-up? I find drag racing very boreing (just me) a few seconds and its done. Again, does anyone with this set-up that drags frequently have any times? Thanks.

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10.9 to 11.3 low to mid 130s...which is great...and you have a 200 mph highway car as well...tell every one that it does mid 10s...why not exaggerate a bit, who doesnt??? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting input 00prowler. I have had the car up to 192 mph (no, not on a track) but I cannot imagine it would run those times in the 1/4 mile.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm usually good at guessing this stuff for some reason. With slicks, I can see you doing about 10.6 @141. Without 11.2@132.

Haha, now go out and do it and tell me how close I am!

I don't think this guess should be among your good ones. If he hits 141 MPH with only 580rwhp I want what he has. I don't care what kind of tires he has on the car 140+ with under 600rwhp is something that will not happen. I think he would be doing well if he cracked 130. I think you can tell people it will run 10's without that being a stretch at all. I would stay away from saying it runs anywhere near 140 in the quarter though as that would take a ton more HP.

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, my car with about 500hp/600torque supposibly ran 10.87 @ 137 i think it was. And this was on slicks. I figured with 80 more hp, he can pull another 4mph. But who knows, go run it, luike I plan on doing to mine when I find out what happened to about 100hp that I somehow lost.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, my car with about 500hp/600torque supposibly ran 10.87 @ 137 i think it was. And this was on slicks. I figured with 80 more hp, he can pull another 4mph. But who knows, go run it, luike I plan on doing to mine when I find out what happened to about 100hp that I somehow lost.

What HP mods do you have done to your car? Not to be a pessimist but it takes some serious HP to hit 137. I would say in a full weight car about 750hp or so. Is it possible that previous owner had NX on the car or he was using a G-tech?

pavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's easy using the program available from Doug Levin Motorsports. Based on your rwhp and knowing the weight of the GTS and assuming the driver is about 200 pounds, your car will do about a 10.8 sec ET with a trap speed of 127mph. If I were you, I would still want the thrill of confirming these numbers. My 420 rwhp RT/10 is a blast at the Drag strip and runs about a second and a half slower.
Pavenom

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's easy using the program available from Doug Levin Motorsports. Based on your rwhp and knowing the weight of the GTS and assuming the driver is about 200 pounds, your car will do about a 10.8 sec ET with a trap speed of 127mph. If I were you, I would still want the thrill of confirming these numbers. My 420 rwhp RT/10 is a blast at the Drag strip and runs about a second and a half slower.
Pavenom
Thanks for your input. Interesting stuff. My GTS is also much lighter than stock. The following items have been removed and replaced to lighten the car: no spare tire/jack, lighter seats, wheels, flywheel, exhaust system and cats. and no mufflers. (side exit), steering wheel and air bag, etc. However, the addition of a roll bar, wing, splitter, and rear diffuser brings some of this weight back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine