My Impression- 700 Miles into the new GTS

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Several of you guys/gals wanted some feedback of the changeover from the vette to the Viper.

These are solely MY OPINION; so don't trash up my thread please.

Sitting the Viper Next to the Grand Sport there was definitely night and day difference.
The corvette is a 2013 model with every option available.

Seating:
GS- Upgraded seating surface. Felt great for the first 1000 miles. They felt as if they began to break down and other than visual stimulation were actually no different then a base model seat. You know......sitting on a rock with a little bit of material wrapped over it.

Viper- Upgraded leather package. Feels AWESOME. So far....the seats are very comfortable; nice support and adjustment features. Ive developed a little bit of "bunching" or stretching in the bottom. My fiance and I are far from being "heavy" and causing this to happen. Majority of the miles so far have been hwy miles. I have not developed and aching yet from extended sitting.

Console:
GS- I am very anal with my personal vehicles. I learned a lesson back when the 98+ F-body was the thing to have. To much driving with your elbow sitting on the lid would cause a permanent divet left on top. When moving into my 07 vette I tried my best but still received the low spot.
The 13 GS received the same spot with a mere 6000 miles on the clock within 10 months.

Viper- not much to damage here. Just be careful not to snag with jewerly or semi sharp objects as it could scuff and look like total ass.

Shifter:
GS- both vettes were auto with paddles. Test driving the manual versions felt like I had a beer pong ball to work with.

Viper- Bigger seems to work better! Knob fits nicely in the palm and actually feels like you have control of your actions. As stated above; be careful with jewelry.....im sure it will scuff eventually

Covering- Doors; Dash, Etc:

GS- 4LT which is fancy for an overpriced leather dash and door panels with contrast stitching.
Looks nice; received many compliments about it. Doors received the same treatment but felt very hard.

Viper- Note: upgraded leather. The old saying; you get what you paid for.....Looks & feels very nice. You can tell its not just the same line of leather as the other vehicles built by a manufacturer. I did not receive any kind of "special treatment" documents as to what & what not to use. My limited Ram had a small brochure with it.

A little off topic; My fiance bought a drive your dream package for me a few valentines days ago. Plenty of exotics to choose from. After spending some time in the Viper......exotic guys......step up your game.......your in the GS category LOL

Electronics:
GS- Yes I know the C7 is right around the corner and yes GM has tried. BUT this is a 2013 model. The nav unit is the same as my 07. My fiances 13 Tahoe got the newer version and that's a grocery getter. There's not a way to stream music via bluetooth. Good ole Ipod cable or CD and that's it. If using an ipod and you leave it in the console it will eventually overheat and shut off due to heat from the torque tunnel. Satellite radio......its satellite radio. Heads up display has a few options to change the experience but nothing that just sticks to you after the initial new wears off.

Viper- Nice Ipad replica. LOL

Im still learning this system. I like that you can actually stream wireless from an ipod, iphone, and even ANDRIOD!
The Uapp has neat features also. Stream Pandora or whatever you want to use.
Ive also played with the digital gauges. THE KICKER...you must be within a 3g area supplied by Uconnect. We live in a small town about 45 minutes from the closest 3G coverage area for Uconnect...so we have the wonderful 1X symbol. They need to upgrade....fast. We may be in BFE but we have great 4G and 3G coverage. All features work EXCEPT for the gauge 2 tab. All numbers are replaced with " ---" and the screen locks up.
I can use this same feature with the 3G symbol and it all works great.
This also applies to the Uconnect app. I cannot lock/unlock, honk the horn, etc with this app if the car is at home.

Digital Dash has nice app's to test 1/8, 1/4, braking, & G-Force. Fun to play with and get a chuckle from friends. Will test accuracy at a later date
The speedo is useless......I recommend the digital speed tab to supply in the Tach area

I will update more in the area once I learn the launch control system

Selective Suspension:
GS- Youve got Touring and Sport. Personally; I cannot tell a difference

Viper- Street and Race. Street feels nice and a little rigid as expected from a sports car.
Race- Holy SH.T; Id compare it to a small lump in a tire. You can feel everything on the road surface. Which is good I suppose for you autoX guys
The car feels very tight when taking fly overs and exit ramps as if you were on rails. The vette had a little roll with it.

Power:
I shouldn't even review this as its not even fair.....
GS- this thing hauls the mail. Advertised as 436HP with the NPP exhaust; I had the car dynoed and pull down 402RWHP
Its plenty of power to get yourself in trouble......but nothing like the big brother Z models.
With minor bolt on;s you can break into the 12's; but piss away your warranty.

Viper- Roah Roah Roah(Tim the tool man voice) Plenty of tq, and hp. After the 4500rpm mark these machines pull very hard. Its addictive as one member stated. Its a reason to show off the redline Snake to every passenger.

Im sure Ive missed something that you might want to know. Please just ask and I will give my honest opinion.

Overall I love both cars. I don't mean to bash the Corvette line as I am still a huge fan. I hope GM pulls out the big guns one day and gets up to speed. It would be awesome to have 2 advanced machines to choose from with the :usa: name!

Last edited:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice review and exactly as I would expect give the price points.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good comparison. I'd echo just about everything you wrote about the Grand Sport, as found in my '09 Z06. The C6 felt all modern and nice back in 2005 when I first bought one. It feels very dated now. The Nav unit is horrible in all C6's. No excuse for that! They even upgraded the Camaro dash after 2 years.

Tony

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write up. I feel pretty much the same (Except no C6). Will be interesting to see how the seats hold up to see if the sagging gets worse or stays what it is once you "break it in"

To me the steering is the most impressive of any car I've personally driven. It is like a firearm, goes exactly where pointed and doesn't take much effort at all to drive. I feel like my BMW always needed some correction while driving.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds about right. I think the leather bunching up in the seats is just the leather getting "broken in". Probably stretches a bit when you sit, even if you're not fat.

Overall I like the uconnect system but here's what couple annoying things I've noticed:

- Every time you turn the car on there is a stupid warning message on the screen. That shouldn't appear every time. Just once, if at all.

- When you are playing music from and SD memory card, it will not auto-resume after you power off and exit the car then return. You will have to select it again, and sometimes it says the memory card is empty when it is not. Would be nice if the system 'remembered' the last source you used and resumed from there.

The power is awesome. It never gets old being able to hit 100+ in seconds and the sound is so cool. Everything around looks like a blur...it's unreal.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everything around looks like a blur... arrgghhh I WANT!!
thx for the feedback.

madninjaskillz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Getting really excited about picking mine up when I return stateside.

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Great write up I plan do do the same with my ZR1 and GTS
The ZR1's not stock and has 45000 miles on him also has much better manors than my 94 RT10 so it should be interesting

jsd512

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you like it. Hopefully the more customers who talk about their experience, the more potential customers will get curious. The magazine reviews are not exactly glowing. Spread the word.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am glad you like it. Hopefully the more customers who talk about their experience, the more potential customers will get curious. The magazine reviews are not exactly glowing. Spread the word.
To be fair, they have never "liked" the Viper, even though it always dominates!

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper- Roah Roah Roah(Tim the tool man voice) Plenty of tq, and hp. After the 4500rpm mark these machines pull very hard. Its addictive as one member stated. Its a reason to show off the redline Snake to every passenger.
Im sure Ive missed something that you might want to know. Please just ask and I will give my honest opinion.

Yeah... Who the F is Tim the toolman

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
google Home Improvement....funny sit com from the 90's.....does it mean I'm aging if I know this?

OP
OP
N

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I watched the reviews of the "magazine guys" and just LOL. They act as if these cars are so hard to maneuver around as they grunt and groan

FUN FACTOR- .......my ass is still grinning. Even by just moving her out of the garage and back in.

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry guys... I was gone to go get some dinner, but I am back posting again now..... dinner was delicious. I had a Bison burger. Yummy. glad to be back on the forum !!

buy the way... what are we talking about ? Tool time ? Vipers ? baby kittens ?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, what was that about using a baby kitten to clean and dust the hood of a new Viper ? I seem to have missed that post while I was eating ,my Bison burger

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. He did give fair warning with his screen name. "Krate Disease". The posts must be a symptom:D

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. He did give fair warning with his screen name. "Krate Disease". The posts must be a symptom:D

I'm going to get some dinner now.... will be back in about a hour.....see you guys when I get back. I ordered a pizza with pepperoni. yummy !!

and by the way the New 2013 Viper looks smoking in stryker red....and the high end leather looks great in the interior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21