Custom Stereos

Dietz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of their custom car stereos. I have one in my car that I want to get ripped out and upgraded since it was built probably in 01 when the car was new and is falling apart.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I recently installed my own system using most of the factory harness. Unfortunately, I managed to destroy the stock alpine plug-in so I just soldered in the one that came with the new unit. I noticed that I could have just switched the pinout on the factory plug and it would have worked with the newer alpine. The headunit plugin type is almost identical. One of the only wiring routes I differed in was the ground. I used a punch and knocked out the center of one of the rivets around the lower shifter boot area and ran the headunits ground wire to it as I was noticing a lot of static in the factory stereo (plug wires were fresh so I know this was not the cause)...this took care of that problem. I chose Polk momo carbon fiber cone speakers for the mid-woofers and the high range speakers in the doors because, well, honestly I got them cheap....although they do sound AMAZING once you get a capable headunit with a parametric EQ. One lesson that I've taken from this is that the parametic setup is FAR superior to the older style EQ's and you can "tune" out certain frequencies that drive you nuts. I chose the Alpine CDA-117 just for that reason. I did have to run RCA's to the new amplifier, but all the speaker outputs, power, and ground for the amp are plugged directly into the factory harness using some pins that I had soldered up and pressed into the female plug-in. There's not a chance in hell they'd come out either. I also added bluetooth and mounted the microphone right above the sunvisor....no one that has ridden in the car even noticed unless I pointed it out to them.
You must be registered for see images

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed my own system using most of the factory harness. Unfortunately, I managed to destroy the stock alpine plug-in so I just soldered in the one that came with the new unit. I noticed that I could have just switched the pinout on the factory plug and it would have worked with the newer alpine. The headunit plugin type is almost identical. One of the only wiring routes I differed in was the ground. I used a punch and knocked out the center of one of the rivets around the lower shifter boot area and ran the headunits ground wire to it as I was noticing a lot of static in the factory stereo (plug wires were fresh so I know this was not the cause)...this took care of that problem. I chose Polk momo carbon fiber cone speakers for the mid-woofers and the high range speakers in the doors because, well, honestly I got them cheap....although they do sound AMAZING once you get a capable headunit with a parametric EQ. One lesson that I've taken from this is that the parametic setup is FAR superior to the older style EQ's and you can "tune" out certain frequencies that drive you nuts. I chose the Alpine CDA-117 just for that reason. I did have to run RCA's to the new amplifier, but all the speaker outputs, power, and ground for the amp are plugged directly into the factory harness using some pins that I had soldered up and pressed into the female plug-in. There's not a chance in hell they'd come out either. I also added bluetooth and mounted the microphone right above the sunvisor....no one that has ridden in the car even noticed unless I pointed it out to them.

Man I wish you were my neighbor...