Cut on a tire, how safe is it?

04MambaNYC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have about 2 inch long cut on rear PS2 tire, its not deep and it doesn't show metal. Also its on the thread that doesn't make contact with the ground. Do you feel this safe to drive one? Please check out the pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Normal street driving or track?

Personally I would replace it regardless. It wouldn't take much for that cut to open up wider/longer. Your Viper's safety is worth the price of a new tire. But depending on treadwear you may want to get a matching set.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From a photo, I certainly can't tell if it's superfacial or deep...but, in the case of our Vipers, I'd likely get rid of the tire. Further examination by a qualified tire shop might help you decide...especially after you have them dismount it and inspect it from the inside.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From a photo, I certainly can't tell if it's superfacial or deep...but, in the case of our Vipers, I'd likely get rid of the tire. Further examination by a qualified tire shop might help you decide...especially after you have them dismount it and inspect it from the inside.

The only way to know more is to dismount, and even then you wont know everything. Could the carcass split further? Yes. Age of Tire matters. Take it to a Michelin Distributor, but a rep probably stops by once a quarter at best.

I would email the photo to Michelin Customer Service and see what they say, The tread grooves seem 95% gone from that nearest tread row?

SLITHER: "So do You [have a lot of life left] unless it blows at speed."

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just be sure if they try to replace that 1 tire, that the tread on the other tire on that axle has similiar tread wear. Hard to tell how much tread is there from the picture's angle, but if 1 is at 20% and they put 1 with 100%, it is going to cause issues.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4