D Rings vs E Channel Tie downs

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion on the use of D rings vs E Strip/Channel to tie down a car inside the trailer? The E Strip runs the length of the car under the tires and you use a strap over the top of each tire back to the strip/channel recessed in the floor the way it was explained to me. Is one easier to use than the other?

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the slots in the frame to tie down your Viper. Left front slot ties to right front fix point, and the other side to the left fix point in a cross. Same procedure at rear. I'm trailering my Race Viper on the Race truck for about 24.000 miles a year, and my experience is that the above is the best way to tie down a Viper.

Reaction score
D-Ring is the only tie down I have seen the local use and my Featherlite has D-Rings. Use J hooks to attach in the frame slots and cross rear ties. front ties can be straight Right to Right. Works for me.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry, "E" track is pricey, and while convenient as you can tie down just about anywhere you want, it is my understanding that it does not have the strength that a "D" ring does. When I got my trailer, the E track was an option that was recommended against for car tie-down purposes due to strength reasons. My understanding is that E track is best for accessories, parts, etc.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My trailer was originally built to move a Superbird around, and I opted out of E track. I'd bet it is convenient. One thing you need to remember is that you cannot simply figure that your car may be 3500 lbs, and that this is all you need. During braking, (esp. a panic stop) that weight is multiplied several times. This is where the higher the weight rating...the safer your tie-down. As an aside...I remember a few years ago, a friend of mine's Charger was being towed to the event, by the guy that restored it. His tow vehicle struck the rear of a semi, breaking off the trailer hitch, and driving the trailer into the towing vehicle. Worse yet...the Charger's tie-downs gave way and the Charger went through the front of the trailer. The fenders were driven into the doors...the doors against the quarters...even the cowl at the base of the windshield was buckled. Sad story indeed.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think in know where you are going. what is the ride height of the car in question? on a stock viper using d rings my rachect is extremly close to my facia that it scares me. plus the fact that my body is a bit larger and cant fit under these cars as easily as i use to. my suggestion. custom build some ramps in your trailer, you'll atleast have more room to rachet down the j hooks to the d rings.

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have E-track in my trailer and simply love it. Plenty strong and it gives you total flexibility on positioning the car(s) inside the trailer and has proved plenty strong for tying down cars. I never tie down to tires - I always tie down to the frame or use axle straps, depending on the car. There are so-call "j-hooks" for the Viper that fit into oval holes in the frame rails; you then just hook in your tie-down ratchets to these hooks and tie down the car.

D-rings probably have higer strength (E-track and the rings that attach to it are rated at 5000 lbs each, which seems adequate for a car that weighs 3500 total).

I would get E-track if you plan to use the trailer for more than a single type of car and especially if you need to tie down parts, tools, boxes, etc. If you use the trailer only for your Viper, figure out where you want the car and specify D-rings in a good location for your tie-down straps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456