Dana 60 GTS-R rear ends

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have one? Anyone know if there is a upgrade kit? Anyone know what ratio's we can get for them? I am looking for any and all information on them.

Thanks in advance.

roller

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back in my day all the big block mopars with manual transmissions used the Dana 60 axle for strength. The lowest ratio I believe was 3.54. I ran a 4.10 in my '69 Charger 440 RT. The Dana 44 is considered to be rather wimpy among the muscle car and truck people. I ran Dana 70 axles in my Power Wagon, super strong. How you plan to use the vehicle should determine your choice. Gear ratio availability is greater with the 44, and for normal driving is adequate.

Frank

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Dana 60 was standard in the GTS-R (the RACECAR). To the best of my recollection, the only driveline trouble they ever had was transmissions.

OP
OP
V

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The '60 also has a 9.75" rear ring. Thus we should be able to run taller gears in the rear and not snap them.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys, everyone needs to keep in mind that the Viper diff is NOT a Dana-44, it is a Dana Super-44/Dana 44HD. The Ring/Pinion on the Viper are not the weak link, and the differentials as a whole are not- with the exception of the 2003-2006 HydraLok failures, which was not ring/pinion related, and just a poor component choice. Concurrent with the Super-44, the axles and splines are considerably larger than the normal 44 uses, and ring/pinions are top quality. It is no surprise that so many people have run 7, 8, 9, 10 second passes on these differentials like clock work. Failures are generally limited to axles and diff carriers, and both of those are typically replaced anyway on any type of high power build.

Going to a Dana 60 rear would likely create a whole slew of new problems, not the least of which is proper fitment in a street car chassis. The available diff carriers, gear options, and shaft options would be extremely lacking compared to the typical Viper selection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte