Danger! Motor mount failure

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
tAll,
If you race at all, or if your car has more than 10,000 miles, you need to check your motor mounts ASAP. I had my car up on a lift and saw what looked like damage from a tranny that was shifting. I decided to change out the motor and tranny mounts just to have more heavy duty connections to the frame. When we took off the mounts, they were obviously deformed and had totally come apart. The safety was the only thing holding them together. With the new parts from Woodhouse the car is much tighter and more responsive. I drove at a viper days on a track I had been on before and cut 8 seconds off my time. On the 1/8 mile drags my time dropped by 0.2 secs.

It is hard to see if the mounts are shot by visual inspection, so this can easily be missed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Right mount deformed

Left mount with visible split

Static, they dont look so bad

When you pick them up, they just fall apart

Only the safety was keeping the motor from spinning off the frame

New mounts from Woodhouse used to replace the old ones. Much tighter. Much more vibration noticable for the first 200 miles or so with the new mounts. Still more than the old ones, but it is obvious why. Don't take a chance, swap out your mounts or at least have them inspected.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised these are not the safety type mounts. The better mounts have steel flaps inside the rubber that lock overtop each other to limmit travel in the event the mount separates.

OP
OP
V

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They were easy to replace, I had the local viper savy mechanic do it. It took a while because the bolts from the factory were put on before the headers. The mounting bolts are long, so it took a bit of squiriming to get them off. Putting them back on was much easier since the monting bolts can be put through the mounts from the opposite side as well. If you have new bolts, you can just take the old ones half way out, cut them and then take out the rest. This will save time and aggravation.

OP
OP
V

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
These mounts were from my 2000 GTS ACR with 36,*** miles. 8 plus track days and maybe 150 passes in 1/4 or 1/8 mile drags.

R

RTED

Just received my replacement mounts from Chuck Tator (Tators Dodge). Chuck, as usual is extemely helpful and his service is second to none. Thanks for the heads up on the mounts....good insurance for these high tourque montster engines!:2tu:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea what caused the failure? I've never seen one of these up close. Looks like some type of rubber for dampening. Did the rubber become brittle?

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that certain years are prone to these motor mount failures but other years are not. I've noticed that it seems like around 2000 model year this is more common but early GenII's don't have this problem. I still have my original ones with over 25,000 miles and doesn't seem to be an issue.

Someone at DCX engineering probably made an engineering cost reduction and changed the rubber material. It saved a few bucks but now we're seeing all the failures.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced mine not long ago...and not only was the rubber broke...but the safetys on the driver's side were bent about 40 degrees..lol

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Woodhouse has these for $249.00. I just called them to order a set for my 99. They informed me though that the street/race set will give considerable more vibration than oem as they are stiffer. Not sure if I want that or not. For the install, he said the car must be on a lift and the motor jacked up slightly to take the weight off the mounts to remove. Now trying to find someone qualified in my area (North Houston) to do the labor.:drive:

OP
OP
V

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put on the street mounts from Woodhouse. Yes, there is a bit more vibration. I really noticed it at first. But it goes down after about 200 miles. Now I don't notice it. At our last viper get together I mentioned it to a few folks. All the cars with less than 3,000 miles (2000, 2001 and 2002) that I sat in when started had the same level or close as I have now (1,000 miles after install). I also did the billet transmission brace and the poly tranny mount at the same time, so I may have a bit more. The other thing I noticed was a change in the exhaust note. With everything stiffened up the sound is being transmitted through the cabin a bit differently. Overall a great improvement.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on the street mounts from Woodhouse. Yes, there is a bit more vibration. I really noticed it at first. But it goes down after about 200 miles. Now I don't notice it. At our last viper get together I mentioned it to a few folks. All the cars with less than 3,000 miles (2000, 2001 and 2002) that I sat in when started had the same level or close as I have now (1,000 miles after install). I also did the billet transmission brace and the poly tranny mount at the same time, so I may have a bit more. The other thing I noticed was a change in the exhaust note. With everything stiffened up the sound is being transmitted through the cabin a bit differently. Overall a great improvement.
Thanks for the feed back. I also ordered the tranny mount ( only 30.00 ) I will let you know what the old ones look like- 10,200 miles. A lot of road race miles included in there.:drive:

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced mine with the Woodhouse street/track poly mounts about 3 months ago. Definately a good idea, as my stock mounts were cracked all the way around. There are a couple of new vibrations that weren't there, but it isn't bad to drive. One nice thing is that the rattle/shake on the shifter is gone.

I took it on a 2hr trip out to the track this weekend for the first time. I hardly even noticed the rattle from the mounts. On the track, everything was nice and solid. I'm definately sold on these for my Gen1. I may even buy an extra set in case they aren't making them any more when I need to replace again.

BADMOFO

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just ordered mine today from Woodhouse. I hope they are not pain to change.

Last edited:

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL! A.R.T. replaced mine about a month ago and they fell apart upon removal as well. 70,000 mines on my car. I was wondering why my shifter kept kicking over so hard to the right in 1st and 2nd.....? I also had a poly tranny mount installed too. Yes, I noticed a difference but haven't been to the track with the new mounts yet.

.2 seconds off in the 1/8 you say? hmmmm........ I wonder what it would cut down in the 1/4?

By the way.... A.R.T. http://www.americanracingtech.com/ charged me about $100.00 or so, to swap them out, so it was WELL WORTH letting them do it in my openion.

Last edited:

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should have replaced them with a mount that is nothing more than a chunk of aluminum with some threaded holes in it. :D

They really don't vibrate as bad as you think they will in the viper.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Woodhouse has these for $249.00. I just called them to order a set for my 99. They informed me though that the street/race set will give considerable more vibration than oem as they are stiffer. Not sure if I want that or not. For the install, he said the car must be on a lift and the motor jacked up slightly to take the weight off the mounts to remove. Now trying to find someone qualified in my area (North Houston) to do the labor.:drive:

Does the car really need to be on a lift to do this? Or does just require that you can get a jack underneath the engine to support it?

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the car really need to be on a lift to do this? Or does just require that you can get a jack underneath the engine to support it?

jack stands on the frame with a second person on a floor jack lifting up on the motor will work. not recommended if you aren't totally comfortable with jacks & stands. don't get squished.

thanks for the post, good info. i have these in a box waiting to be installed.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
R

RTED

All this talk about failing motor mounts convinced me to replace mine today. As it turns out, it was good that I did. The divers side mount was cracked and about to split from front to back. Rubber was very distorted as well. Only 26k on the car. I guess the combination of the heat under the hood, age and the tourque takes its toll on the mounts. Thanks to all of you for the heads up!:2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2003 failed the drivers mount last year. Additional torque may help as well. Same part as Gen I/II.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was my drivers side mount on mine too, back when I had mine replaced. Here are a few signs of needing your mounts replaced:

1. Shifter kicks over to the right in 1st when getting on it, a little in second too.
2. foam padding on the bottom side of the hood, may have some wear on the drivers side, where the motor is kicking up and rubbing on the padding. (mine did where my throttle body cable came up over my intake)
3. With the hood open, revving motor while watching the motor, the motor will tend to lift on the drivers side.

Oh, also I noticed I was hitting 4th gear accurately after new mounts. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out why I had such a problem hitting 4th in fast shifts....? Now I know why.

Last edited:

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the car back today from Tomball Dodge here in Houston where they did some great work. The old ones were actually ok but glad I upgraded the mounts. No noticeable vibration except in the transmission shift from a start.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I decided that I am going to change out the Mounts before my next track day. (I already had new ones sitting around) Thanks for the heads up!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a warning to those who didn't see my previous post. If you do replace your mounts, BE SURE that your intake tubes arent pulled off when jacking the motor up. I had mine replaced by a dealership and the tubes popped off from the throttle bodies when the tech jacked the motor up and he never noticed. I drove around with disconnected intake tubes for a couple hundred miles :( . I had to change the oil to try to drain out any crap that got sucked up. The dealership refunded the labor total to offset the cost of me having to change the oil. An oil analysis test revealed no damage was done, but still, double check your tubes when you get done!