DD Vipers

Auston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread, I own a 370Z and if I purchased a Viper I would
definitely want it to be my DD. It would be helpful if those who mentioned
the other threads on the same topic would post links to these threads as
well (I saw the poll thread link, but the others would be good too)

OP
OP
V

ViperStaring

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess it does qualify your Viper as a DD.

I guess I should've worded the question as: "Is your Viper your primary vehicle." :D

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive one of them if the weather is nice. Don't drive them in bad weather. Put about 5k miles last year, mostly in town driving.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong driving a Viper daily IF weather permits and your wallet - for maintenance (tires, clutch?, brakes, service, door dings, fuel, beer, wax, ...) :D

:drive:DRIVE IT, IF YOU CAN :drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive my Viper GTS as my primary choice during summer. Ice and snow takes the fun out of it and that's when my AWD, AWS 360 and 500hp Dodge Stealth R/T TTs are fun. We bought a 08 Dodge hemi quad cab 4x4 to haul stuff and tow my car trailers because the Stealth didn't like the flat car trailer much, it certainly would have issues with my 24' enclosed trailer.

Hemi pu gets 16mpg
Viper gets 20mpg
Stealth gets 25mpg

Ted

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a smartazz but if you have to ask then the Viper is not for you. And if you're coming from a Mercedes then the Viper is probably really really not for you.

For the record I have 120,000 miles on my 98. But I also have no desire to own any other car, including a Mercedes.

Mercedes = YAWN.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mercedes = YAWN.

So true. I did manage to try one out at our VCA AutoX. He wasn't even close and I took the trophy, but it is nice to be able to actually see the SL 63 AMG dollars going around the cones in person instead of the magazines. Great to take the trophy although on modified Porsche did actually manage 3rd place being faster than a few stock Vipers (driver).

I do want to get out there above 75mph where my car can really shine with all that traction and see how far behind those exotics are...

665rwhp Paxton SRT10 of Louie Gierstorfer managed 307kph top speed (1.8mi) and spanked a whole lot of Ferraris, maseratis, Lamborghinis, Lotus', etc.

Ted

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So true. I did manage to try one out at our VCA AutoX. He wasn't even close and I took the trophy, but it is nice to be able to actually see the SL 63 AMG dollars going around the cones in person instead of the magazines. Great to take the trophy although on modified Porsche did actually manage 3rd place being faster than a few stock Vipers (driver).

I do want to get out there above 75mph where my car can really shine with all that traction and see how far behind those exotics are...

665rwhp Paxton SRT10 of Louie Gierstorfer managed 307kph top speed (1.8mi) and spanked a whole lot of Ferraris, maseratis, Lamborghinis, Lotus', etc.

Ted

lol@ted, you know if there was a real driver in that SL63, it would have been a race. you can put me in a 700hp racecar thats prepped for a road coarse and put a chuck babel, acrsteve type in a minivan and they will likely beat me. its not always the car.

and you havent been over 75 mph this year in a viper ?... poor guy :)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I leased my Gen III, drove it every day including rain and light snow (although I was puckered up pretty tight). I put 36K miles on it in 3 years.

My Gen IV is not actually a day driver, no rain (too much effort in the detailing) but I still manage to put 500 miles a month on it.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol@ted, you know if there was a real driver in that SL63, it would have been a race. you can put me in a 700hp racecar thats prepped for a road coarse and put a chuck babel, acrsteve type in a minivan and they will likely beat me. its not always the car.

and you havent been over 75 mph this year in a viper ?... poor guy :)

Thanks Plum (I take it you're saying that I'm a good driver?). 2nd place was Craig Sandford in his close to stock SRT and 4th was a close to stock 96 GTS. Modified Porsche got 3rd. My 3rd try at AutoX. I presume that all the Porsches, BMW, Mazda, Merc, TDs etc. all had experience since they do AutoX competitions in Kelowna.

I got a ticket driving to Race the Base Top Speed Challenge at 74mph in Alberta, lol. I didn't get to enter this year, but I do hope to run top speed next year. The SLR that was at that event managed to tie Louies 650rwhp (Paxton) SRT10 at 307kph. The owner of the SLR told me that he was extremely dissappointed. I may have done a little spirited driving on one or two occaissions this summer where I went a touch faster than 75, but the Ferraris, etc. weren't there. I didn't get to enter this year.

modified Ford GT managed 348kph and the $2,000,000 Enzo went 368kph on his electonics but Lidar said he was only 330kph. BUT, all the issues should be resolved for next year. Anyone want to challenge the "World's Fastest Ferrari" (930rwhp) next year?

Email me and I'll get you invited next year (Cold Lake AFB).

Ted

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DD my '99 ACR. It's for sale, as I plan to DD a Murci.

It's not about whether the car is DD'able, it's about what makes you happy and what you can reasonably live with.

I'm a single, 155lb 5'9", no animals, minimalistic, and a car nut. So these vehicles work really well as a DD for me. But they are not for everyone.

Nick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang