Dealer just called 2014 ordering open??

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we can all agree that the GTS-R, either as an ACR or something similar is what we would want in our driveways right now. That's a fact.

But...

I'm pretty sure that, and I'm probably beating a dead horse here too, if the car 'performed' better than the ZR1 from the get go, the enthusiasm would have gone through the roof.

And of course, I'm sure alot of people are still on the fence based on the styling alone. The rear, 3/4 rear is spot on but the front still leaves an awkward impression.

--RS

BTW I saw a McLaren MP4-12C over the weekend. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or if nothing really speaks to me anymore.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I saw a McLaren MP4-12C over the weekend. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I don't know if it's cause I'm getting older or if nothing really speaks to me anymore.

I had an orange one speak to me the other day .....as it blew by me well well up in the triple *** mph ( I was in my dd Cooper) I saw it come up 1/2 mile behind me and pace some traffic. I knew what he was up to because it was a straight perfectly paved section of the 73 in Irvine ....perfect for a high speed run. ( or so I have been told ;) ) Outside of one supercharged Viper I know... um Dan... I have never seen a car get it this quick on the open road. It sounded and was AMAZING! No Gen 5 is going to hang with this car.

You must be registered for see images attach

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Ring time for the McLaren about 16 seconds slower than the ACR...

I had an orange one speak to me the other day .....as it blew by me well well up in the triple *** mph ( I was in my dd Cooper) I saw it come up 1/2 mile behind me and pace some traffic. I knew what he was up to because it was a straight perfectly paved section of the 73 in Irvine ....perfect for a high speed run. ( or so I have been told ;) ) Outside of one supercharged Viper I know... um Dan... I have never seen a car get it this quick on the open road. It sounded and was AMAZING! No Gen 5 is going to hang with this car.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MP4 does nothing for me, either. We have quite a few at the Houston Cars & Coffee, and I remember when they first came out two showed up. I wanted to like them, but they look dated and sort of like a watered down Gallardo. The Ferrari 458 left a completely opposite feeling, it made me drool the first time I saw one.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of which. At my buddies shop. Has a lot of Lotus look to me but the orange is pretty cool.
Plus the doors go UP.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Ring time for the McLaren about 16 seconds slower than the ACR...

I have driven the ring and its fun as hell ! However none of us in the USA are going to be shipping over there anytime soon to take on the Mclaren.....

On the roads of Socal.... Well don't embarass yourself and take one on....

2013 SRT VIper 0-150mph 17.8

Orange McLaren 0-150mph. 13.9 ...... Now that is getting your a$$ handed to ya! Nuff said.....

Last edited:

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Aventador supposedly hits 150mph in 14.0sec.

Looking at the times on fastestlaps.com...not sure where the data is coming from but 2008 ACR is listed as having 17.5 sec 0-150mph, I'd expect the Gen V with better aero, power, gearing and weight to better the ACR with it's giant drag inducing wing.

Either way, that McLaren is seriously quick.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I test drove an MP4 last summer and oddly it felt difficult to pull the levers to change gear. Perhaps too used to E-Gear wherein a small finger tap is all that is necessary. Aesthetically, its not on point but the car is styled that way to be functional and high performance, not to be a looker like a 458. The insect doors are cool. They are finally down in the 190's and I believe they have lost about 30% from original list on cars out there for a year or more. The drop the top "on the fly" feature is cool on the spider. Still say the Gen V is one of the most exciting new supercars out in production today. Can it do 0-60 in 2 seconds like the McLaren? No. But overall its still more exciting imo.

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ don't forget maintenance cost. Counter argument - "if you can afford a McLarin then you can afford the maintenance blah blah blah"

I like getting under my car and changing oil, plugs, and putting new mods on it myself. Trying to work on that McLarin would be like a blond ***** in her Range Rover trying to change her own tire. Just sayin.....

My 2¢

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL four seconds to 150 MPH?
Whats that 20 car lengths....
In the quarter mile that would equate up to 40 car lengths. I have seen the MP4 run 7 tenths quicker in the quarter mile than the Gen V. That's at least 7 car lengths to 125mph. So another 13 lengths from 125-150 is an a** whooping.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the quarter mile that would equate up to 40 car lengths. I have seen the MP4 run 7 tenths quicker in the quarter mile than the Gen V. That's at least 7 car lengths to 125mph. So another 13 lengths from 125-150 is an a** whooping.

This test was conducted by the folks over at DragTimes.com, who elaborate on the specifications of the 12C that set the record. “This McLaren was equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes, sport exhaust and super light wheels which saves precious weight coming in at just 3,118 pounds. This puts the power to weight ratio at 5.06 pounds per HP.”
Watching the video gives a good indication of what a fast car looks like versus a really fast car. The McLaren managed a 0-60mph time of just 2.9 seconds. A time that fast in any car is fast. But in a car that weighs 3,100 lbs with only 616hp? That is ludicrously fast.

So what happened to ....... weight ratios (SRT numbers) Bugatti Veyron 4.10 Ferrari F12 4.70 SRT Viper 4.91 Lamborghini Aventador 4.96 Corvette ZR1 5.01 Porsche 911 Turbo

I will have you engineer types tell me why the Viper is around 4 seconds slower then the MP4.... please enlighten me.....

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This test was conducted by the folks over at DragTimes.com, who elaborate on the specifications of the 12C that set the record. “This McLaren was equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes, sport exhaust and super light wheels which saves precious weight coming in at just 3,118 pounds. This puts the power to weight ratio at 5.06 pounds per HP.”
Watching the video gives a good indication of what a fast car looks like versus a really fast car. The McLaren managed a 0-60mph time of just 2.9 seconds. A time that fast in any car is fast. But in a car that weighs 3,100 lbs with only 616hp? That is ludicrously fast.

So what happened to ....... weight ratios (SRT numbers) Bugatti Veyron 4.10 Ferrari F12 4.70 SRT Viper 4.91 Lamborghini Aventador 4.96 Corvette ZR1 5.01 Porsche 911 Turbo

I will have you engineer types tell me why the Viper is around 4 seconds slower then the MP4.... please enlighten me.....

Couple of things. That lbs/HP you label at the end is dry weight while the calculation you made for the McLaren is not dry weight. The Viper full weight at lbs/HP is 5.15 lbs/HP. The McLaren has a better lbs/HP ratio, better gearing, and because it can get off the line, it is in the power band quicker than the Viper. Also remember, the Viper has to shift at 146-147 MPH. I believe the Gen IV actually did equal or a bit better in a 0-150 test. Forget the ZR1 as a benchmark, I want to see the McLaren be that benchmark. The car being more expensive shouldn't matter. That's the Viper way if you ask me.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of things. That lbs/HP you label at the end is dry weight while the calculation you made for the McLaren is not dry weight. The Viper full weight at lbs/HP is 5.15 lbs/HP. The McLaren has a better lbs/HP ratio, better gearing, and because it can get off the line, it is in the power band quicker than the Viper. Also remember, the Viper has to shift at 146-147 MPH. I believe the Gen IV actually did equal or a bit better in a 0-150 test. Forget the ZR1 as a benchmark, I want to see the McLaren be that benchmark. The car being more expensive shouldn't matter. That's the Viper way if you ask me.

Thank you for the break down. Would the Viper have been in better shape if they brought it back at 700HP or, would these supertech cars still hand it its lunch at a much less HP?

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the break down. Would the Viper have been in better shape if they brought it back at 700HP or, would these supertech cars still hand it its lunch at a much less HP?

To me the gearing shouldn't have been messed with from 2010. That is one thing I feel certain about, but it is just my opinion only. Another point to consider is though they seem to have integrated carbon fiber, the weight reduction could go a bit further. The big weight issue has to do with a frame that should be aluminum, but isnt. Lastly, the shocks and springs seem to be sub par. Honestly, would've awesome for SRT to cut a deal with MCS. I'm not sure the Viper needs 700 HP. I think the power is fine. SRT will be fine with Viper. Give them time. Let's just hope they benchmark with McLaren, 458 scud that is coming, and Porsche GT2. The Gen IV held its own with the world's best. Now it's time for the Gen V to do the same.