Dealer Satisfaction

Tool Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked at a new Viper at a local Dodge dealer. I'd like to buy it but after reading that some of the cars are having more than typical new car problems I'm a little reluctant. Overall, and I know this is based on each individual dealer but, is the service dept. making an effort to keep you happy? Are they letting you stay with your cars while they're being worked on by the tech? Are you being treated better than a Neon or van owner? I could live with some problems with the car as long as trips to the dealership don't become a nightmare. Any of your thoughts would help.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get excellent service from Dick Scott Dodge in Plymouth MI. the service manager is a former Viper owner. They have a special area they park the cars and only certian people are allowed to handle the cars and keys are always kept in special place (diff from other cars). I have not been dissapointed yet.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where are you located? Like you said it depends on the dealer. Some dealership treat you great others could care less about vipers.

Here in our town, most of us use the Chrysler dealer for warranty work becuase they are viper friendly and the Dodge dealer could care less.

OP
OP
T

Tool Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad04- I'm in Orange County, NY. Tator's Dodge is about 1 1/2 hours from my house. They've been mentioned on the board as a good Viper dealer. I hate to think that I would have a 3 hour round trip to Tator's everytime there's something wrong with my car. My local Dodge dealers I guess seem to be average - some people like them and others would like to kill them. These dealers may sell 1 Viper a year.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And let me add that as far as "problems" with the new Vipers, the majority of them involves some sort of recall work. We have a new owner here in KC that called me the other day because his 2003 Viper (which he just bought) is at one of the Dodge dealers for the check ball retainer recall (inspection). I basically gave him the list of recalls and TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) that he might want to have checked while he is there. If his car is like mine was, it will be the only trip to the dealer he will need for some time to come.

Bottom line: Most, but not all Dodge dealers will treat you well. Mine allows me to hang out with the car if I want to see what they are doing. My Viper tech is very good, as is the dealer, so I don't worry about it anymore if I need to take it in. Before you buy the car, ask to meet the Viper tech and find out their policies as it relates to staying with the car, who will drive it when it is in for service, etc. You don't have to service it where you buy it either. Your best bet is to hook up with other Viper owners in the area and find out who they recommend. Tator has a superb reputation and would most certainly take care of any and all recall/TSB work in one visit. After that you should only have to worry about oil changes. Don't hesitate to buy that Viper!

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would agree on the quality of the Viper. I do all my own maintenance so I only see them for warranty work. I have to say that I would have to look up the number to call them... my car just doesn't have problems.

Check with your local VCA chapter. Every one there will know the good techs in the area.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't have to make the 3 hour ride every time. But you should the first time. Chuck will go over everything about the car with you. Bring you up to date on the recall stuff, and tell you what to keep an eye out for...

Other than that, for the most part all you will have to do is change the oil from time to time.