Deal's Gap, NC Highway 129

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Deal\'s Gap, NC Highway 129

I was wondering if anyone has ever taken there Viper up to Deal's Gap, NC and run the roads up there. I was there last weekend with my Buell and saw a red and silver GTS there. I was thinking it might be a good get together for Viper owners, maybe a region meet or something. I know the various Miata clubs go alot and thought it might be a nice ride in the Viper. Anybody have any thoughts on the matter. If you don't know the road I am talking about it is on the NC/TN border. There are 318 curves in 11 miles, really fun on a bike but I can imagine with the Vipers torque numbers it would be pretty tricky but fun. Just cuious who has done it and what you might think about the ride? Thanks, Paul.

OP
OP
P

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Deal\'s Gap, NC Highway 129

I road the Cherahola Skyway too which was an absolute blast, but it was alot straighter than Deal's Gap.

need4spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i've been there what seems like hundreds of times. mostly on my r1, but a few times in a viper. the curves are so tight that it is little tricky in the vipers. what scares me is that almost every time i've gone, i've seen an accident. there are a lot of inexperienced riders and drivers that go thinking they can go all out, and it usually bites them. i'm just afraid one of them is going to come around one of them curves and hit me. but then again, you can't be too scared, or you wouldn't never have any fun. anytime someone wants to get together and go, just post it and i can usually be there. i'm always looking for an excuse to take the viper out!
see ya, kyle

OP
OP
P

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kyle, I have the same fear of a bike sliding around a bend and taking me out too. I have seen a wreck 2 out of the 3 times I have been. Actually last time Dad and I helped pull a guy up onto the road after he sent his bike about 20 feet down the bank and he was about 30 feet down, and that was after he hit the pine tree on the side of the road. Incredible stuff happens up there!

By the way that is kinda strange we all registered within a a day of each other.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I haven't personally seen the Deal's Gap road, but I've seen a video from that guy with the turbo 'Busa (many posts about his vids on this site). There's a road similar to that in South Eastern VA, near Roanoke for those interested. Blue Ridge Parkway, some tight turns, good elevation changes (in the mountains), scenic views. You just have to watch for tourists, park rangers, and falling rock. I've come across the fallen rock scenario a couple times. Nothing to big, but bigger than a softball with a bunch of other chips spewn across the road. I've been on this road with my dad driving his Acura 3.2 TL and me driving my Mazda 323 hatch. The road's not too technical, but has a couple hairpins. Just gotta watch your speed and your surroundings (3 reasons mentioned before).

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I drove my Z06 there before I got rid of it in favor of the Viper. I don't especially like it, for the reasons stated above. It is about the most dangerous road I can think of for pushing your car. Cars and bikes wreck on that road regularly. I prefer driving mountain roads with a little more shoulder and guard rails!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Zilla, Roanoke is western part of the State. Danville (VIR) would be south western. South eastern would be Chesapeake, Suffolk, VA Beach. FYI

OP
OP
P

paul

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey HogDealer, how do you like your 2003 V Rod? I took my 03 V Rod up there and Dad road it most of the time, while I road Buell. Both were fun but the Buell is a blast up there.

Cherohala had more sweeping curves and more guard rails, felt much safer, less traffic and very few tight hair pins like on the Gap.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joe that's what I meant was south west. I shouldn't even have to correct myself, my dad lives in Roanoke and I've been there many times since I was 5 to visit my stepmom's family.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Mazda club has the anual meet there & they use the road as a big solo1. The viper is a little large for a real fast time, my wifes boxster(now an s2000) was a great choice & I would give the bikes fits in it. I usually go around 5 or 6 am for the best quality time!! The road 129 out of sutches GA is another great run , well paved but for 313 corners in 43 miles, the Gap is it.