Detailed side exhaust questions...

Reaction score
I'm thinking about installing the Belanger mufflers and cats.

Looking at the current exhaust system, there is a steel flexible material of some kind, incorporated into the exhaust pipe just inboard of the side exhausts. Is this some sort of system to deal with the flexing caused by motor torque?

It would seem this is what it's for since the engine moves but the side exhuast doeesn't.

Does the installation of less restrictive exhaust cause any problems with the computer control system? Do I have to reprogram?

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems with my -93.
The flexible tube was replaced with 3" pipe. Cats were removed and Dynomax Bullit mufflers added with late model "headers".

I've had it over a year and so far no problems or need to reprogram anything...

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but how is the exhaust (cats, mufflers, and tailpipes) supported? My shop is installing some headers while they have the car, and I'd like to remove the cats and add mufflers while I'm at, but have to deal with emissions in my area. I was thinking of adding bolt-together flanges on both ends of the cats, so they can be removed as needed, but would that be strong enough?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's been done and posted here with pics. Definitely would be strong enough. The exhaust is supported by brackets in front of the cats and in the rear.

The flex portion is for engine movement but many have removed and allow the rubber bushings in the support brackets to take the vibration. I can't say if this is good or bad but I know you don't want to leave them on if you go with 3" on everything else. This would just create a bottleneck at the flexpipe.

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we're at it, how dirty does the Viper run without cats? Any chance in hell that an engine in good tune would pass an emissions test with the cats off?

--Rob

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If ya had a vec1 or vec2 couldn't you tune the engine so it was real lean for emissions test??? (without cats)

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go :
http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=346093&Forum=UBB14&Words=modular&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=346093&Search=true#Post346093

This should tell you the whole story.
500$. All in.
Very functional. I am about to pass import inspection here in Austria and it took me about 2 hours to change back to normal. The moment I've got my technical certification, the rumble pipes will go on again ! :)

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is also a 94 complete exhaust on ebay. Buy that and play around with a second set for cheap!

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the stock mufflers with the Belanger 3" straight through mufflers on my 94 R/T. Everything else is stock.

I did the replacement for the sound and not for any performance gain.

I like the sound. I don't think you would want it any louder.

I bought the mufflers from JonB. I think they were about $500.

The kit came with some pieces of heavy straight steel rod that had to be properly bent and welded to the mufflers in order to form the mounting brackets.

This fabrication step was not a simple job. There were no patterns and the positioning of the brackets, that I was required to make, was critical and not that easy.

I was a little surprised that this fabrication step was required since the price was a little high for what turned out to be simply a generic pair of nice mufflers.

So be aware that if you buy the kit I bought, you will be in for quite a project compared to simply cutting off the old, welding the pipe and bolting everything back up.

I'm not complaining about the kit or the price and I was able to do it. It was just not the kind of thing I expected.