Diameter of factory exhaust on 98 GTS

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a 3" rear muffler delete with no cats and a 3" cat back with just resonators in the sills. It came with the car and I'm not sure but a few folks said it looks like a Bellanger setup ? I love the way it sounds and I get a ton of compliments. It's loud but not crazy. I'm always driving so I haven't heard it coming down the road. The 3" pipes give you more Bass than John Entwistle rest his soul...

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fDI0y5pWxw

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im still torn on what to do. One option I am not going to go for right now is buying a $1000 3 inch exhaust kit. Here are my other options.

1)buy 3 inch stainless tubes and get them bent to make a 3 inch exhaust kit. (I have no frikking clue how hard this is/how much money)
2)buy 2.5 inch magnaflow glasspacks and get them welded onto the factory exhaust ($70)
3) buy 3 inch magnaflow glasspacks and some adapters so can get them welded onto the factory exhaust, but can be used if i end up doing 3 inch exhaust down the road ($100)
4) stick with the factory exhaust for a year or two and wait a year or two until i have enough money for a performance exhaust kit (free)

what do you think?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a repeat but what the heck - The factory rear muffler is just two straight pipes, perforated with glass fiber packing in the oval body. They are not necked down or baffled. I know, I cut one open. While replacing with straight pipes will change the sound tone and volume (and add drone, crossover or no), it will not add any real power given the lack of restriction in the OEM muffler. The images above of the straight pipes versus the OEM muffler were mine (it was a Snake Oyl unit). After getting tired of the drone, I made my own by cutting out the muffler of a donor unit and connecting the two pipes with a crossover. After tiring of that, (less but still had rpm specific drone) went for a used 2.5" Corsa (when everyone was upgrading to the 3" version), ceramic coated it and did the tip swap to maintain an OEM-like external appearance.

The factory tips can easily be removed, the dull ceramic coating buffed off and then chromed for about $45. Tack weld back on and you're good to go assuming you like the style and are just disappointed by the OEM dull finish.

With it, smooth tubes and Fram paper airfilters and no other mods, 435RWHP. Many years later, still find it to suit my taste (and budget).

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am by no means a pro, but I would think adding a glasspack should give the viper more growl than factory exhaust. I know its not an exact comparison, but when i had a 4 cyl mustang I got the factory muffler taken out dynomax bullets put it and it went from sounding lame to have a nice growl (for a 4 cyl). I assume the magnaflow glasspacks should do the same for the viper?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dart, trust me it will be louder with the Magnaflows. Unlike others mentioned before, I don't have drone with mine but it maybe due to the rpm range I drive with 4.10 gear.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya thats what i was getting at. Sure HP may be minimal, but thats secondary. I think the factory exhaust is way too quiet and needs more rumble. trying to fine a happy medium with $ and sexiness

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In this video, listen to the exhaust note when I step on the gas next to the Cobra Mustang.Once I'm gone you start hearing the Cobra's note.The Cobra has 3" exhaust system and we know how those V-8's sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DjSizYqbk

Our cars will never sound like this local Ultima GTR with ZO6 engine.First car is Carrera GT second car is the Ultima GT3 followed by Ford GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtwKURzZOc

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this video, listen to the exhaust note when I step on the gas next to the Cobra Mustang.Once I'm gone you start hearing the Cobra's note.The Cobra has 3" exhaust system and we know how those V-8's sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DjSizYqbk

Our cars will never sound like this local Ultima GTR with ZO6 engine.First car is Carrera GT second car is the Ultima GT3 followed by Ford GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtwKURzZOc

thats likely a bit louder than normal because of the tunnell. what setup do you have?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only K&N, 4.10 gear and free flow MAgnaflow mufflers as I mentioned before.Exhaust is all stock from headers to resonators.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only K&N and 4.10 gear and free flow MAgnaflow mufflers as I mentioned before.Exhaust is all stock from headers to resonators.
oh ya, i rmember reading that, sounds **** for sure. what i am most tempted to do, is buy the stanless piping as was mentioned earlier and get it bend to a 3 inch setup. have regular 3 inch pipes and magnaflow exhaust. will likely be alot cheaper than buying it as a kit. is there a place that would tell the pipe measurements that are required so i could buy the proper amount of pipe and right amound of bends?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know much about the vper exhaust, but is there a chance that the previous owners did 3 inch exhaust from up front, but then shrunk it down near the muffler area. I just laid down and looked underneath the car. right where the exhaust sort of disappears into the sill I see the exhaust come out of the sill, it looks as though there is a reducer then it's down into the factory pipes/mufflers. does this make any sense at all, or is it just like that for all Viper exhaust and i am just thinking that i got lucky?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously?:rolaugh:, its been like 6 weeks since your OP bro. We're not talking rocket science here. Cut the friggin muffler out and put Anything in place of it. Please!:D

no, what you see(or think you see) does not make sense unless some one replaced the stock cat or sidesill muffler with a 3" version which would require a reducer on each side of the component which would be pretty stupid. Perhaps someone like yourself trying to jerry rig something on the cheap ;)

The only way to know what you have under your sidesills is to TAKE THEM OFF. Then take a picture so we can tell you what you have.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously?:rolaugh:, its been like 6 weeks since your OP bro. We're not talking rocket science here. Cut the friggin muffler out and put Anything in place of it. Please!:D

no, what you see(or think you see) does not make sense unless some one replaced the stock cat or sidesill muffler with a 3" version which would require a reducer on each side of the component which would be pretty stupid. Perhaps someone like yourself trying to jerry rig something on the cheap ;)

The only way to know what you have under your sidesills is to TAKE THEM OFF. Then take a picture so we can tell you what you have.

Hahaha, fare enough. I tend to over-think instead of act. Weigh the options so to speak. :)

I will look at taking the side sills, and won't post more questions on this thread until I have done so and have new information :)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may be happy to hear that I have given up on the ambition of getting a custom cat-back done. In canada stainless parts are about 4 times more so I was going to order the pipes/stainless bends to the USA and have my parents bring them up and I was going to have a garage custom them on. Any exhaust shop that have spoken to says that stainless can't be bent or else it will crack the stainless coating and mess it up so I was going to have to order the bends already done because they can't bend them. Anyways, there are too many odd bends to be able to figure out, that O2 sensor hole will cause trouble and I can't find tips that are usable. I think I will either just get these magnaflow mufflers welded onto the place of the stock exhaust. or sell them and wait until I can afford a pre-fabricated catback system.

thanks for the help though guys...

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of you may be happy to hear that I have given up on the ambition of getting a custom cat-back done...

Why not be content with the exhaust as-is for a year? Also try to make it down for VOI this year--when you hear the sound you like, talk with the owner to see what he put on his Viper.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not be content with the exhaust as-is for a year? Also try to make it down for VOI this year--when you hear the sound you like, talk with the owner to see what he put on his Viper.

I wanted to change it because the viper is too quiet. I chose the glasspacks because I loved the sound of them on previous cars I had. I am in Alberta and I will not be making it to VOI at all. I have heard a number of Viper exhausts and they all sound nice to me even though they are all a bt different. Another option I thought of is that I can get the catback system done, but in alumnized so they can bend/stretch it. But then that O2 sensor hole...how to they add that or can they?

I tried to get measurements of custom catbacks that people have done to their GTS so I could get the right lengths/angle bends., but I dont think anyone really kept the measurements.

GTS Warp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I still have the factory cats and resonators (shown in your pic), I'm going muffler delete which is easy and cheap. If that ends up being too loud (which I doubt), I'll add the magnaflow muffler.:D

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked the easiness of the muffler delete, but the last thing I want is a ticker for not having mufflers....kinda offsets the price of buying the mufflers

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I FINALLY got around to deciding what to do with my exhaust. I decided to keep the factory exhaust on there for now, but delete the rear muffler (until I decide it is time to buy a nice kit) Anyways, i got the part of the pipe that hold the muffler onto the car. Can I drive like this until i get it to an exhaust shop to get them to weld on the straight pipe...without problems.

PS-It is louder, but not ear-bleeding loud by any stretch. it does sound better for sure though