Did Chrysler goof with their $15K Viper purchase incentive

Thom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I understand the Chrysler $15K Viper incentive coupon correctly, ONLY CURRENT OWNERS of a 2013 or 2014 Viper will get a $15K discount coupon to be used toward ANOTHER new 2013 or later Viper.

Am I understanding this correctly?

If true , then Chrysler is NOT bringing any fresh, untapped new Viper buyers into their dealerships, they're just recycling the buyers they already have. These recycled buyers will get a Viper that is, at most, only 1 or 2 years newer than the one they already have, plus they will take the used-car-depreciation hit earlier than otherwise (although the $15K coupon does help offset this hit.)

I think Chrysler would have done better to extend this incentive coupon further back in the Viper model years. Someone who has had their older Viper for a few years now, would probably find this incentive more compelling than someone who still sees their 2013 or 2014 as new.

Although, Chrysler's secondary objective might be to get more Gen5s into the used car market for greater Viper exposure on the roads.

Still, it just doesn't seem very logical to give the incentive just to owners of the newest Vipers, unless you're trying to calm injured feelings over the new-Viper price drop.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reference: "...unless you're trying to calm injured feelings over the new-Viper price drop."

You are probably correct with that statement. The problem is that most of us aren't going to run out and buy a new one after owning our 2013 or 14 for only a few months.

Why not just extend the offer across the board and sell all the remaining stock. This discount is probably getting the prices closer to where they should have been in the first place. Having said that, I have no complaints about the $120k I paid for my TA at the end of last year. I've already gotten that much enjoyment out of it. They could drop the price on the 15's another $15k and I still am not going to jump to buy one.

Give me a considerable discount on a new Hellcat and I would pick one up in a minute even though I think the Hellcat price is already reasonable.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is called a "Loyalty" voucher. It was intended to help pacify those of us that purchased brand new Gen V cars, which saw a large depreciation in value over the first year. When they dropped the MSRP by $15K, they offered us the voucher as sort of a rebate on that action.

Quite a few of us have already traded our first cars in, for new ones. The vouchers do get used. And, this also adds a few more used Gen V's to the market, at lower prices too. Trickle-down economics. You'll be finding used cars in the $70s now.

Gen 4 cars will also go down in value, due to this. Sell them before the market is flooded with used Gen V's.

Zee

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is called a "Loyalty" voucher. It was intended to help pacify those of us that purchased brand new Gen V cars, which saw a large depreciation in value over the first year. When they dropped the MSRP by $15K, they offered us the voucher as sort of a rebate on that action.

Quite a few of us have already traded our first cars in, for new ones. The vouchers do get used. And, this also adds a few more used Gen V's to the market, at lower prices too. Trickle-down economics. You'll be finding used cars in the $70s now.

Gen 4 cars will also go down in value, due to this. Sell them before the market is flooded with used Gen V's.

Agreed. I am patiently waiting for the used G5's to start popping up more so I can jump on one :)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an interesting angle.
Forget the huge depreciation hit you took trading in your 125K Viper when you got 70K for it, and buy a new one at 15K less.
Lost 50K on first car, and kicked in another 25-30K to get into a car a year newer.
Somehow that makes sense.

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my 14 GTS at awesome price in my eyes. But having said that this 15K UPS gift is a load of B.S. Even though I will not have to eat steak-ums 4x a week now, it still hits my sale price of the car. Yes I will use the Cert when an upgrade in H.P., a real upgrade, happens this whole situation annoys me.

Fangs10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheeple

You want to sell some new Vipers, LOWER THE PRICE it's not rocket science. Sometimes you cannot recoup all your costs in the first year but they sure try!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought all 13 and 14 vipers were 15k off to the whole public

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an interesting angle.
Forget the huge depreciation hit you took trading in your 125K Viper when you got 70K for it, and buy a new one at 15K less.
Lost 50K on first car, and kicked in another 25-30K to get into a car a year newer.
Somehow that makes sense.

I'll only be out $5000 to upgrade to a much better optioned '15... So, all in all not bad :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang