Did I damage my motor?

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 GTS. It has 21,000 miles on it. I quickly checked the oil and it was clean. Since this car was owned by some slow drivers I put some lucas upper cylinder/gas treatment in it. I ran the car for 40 miles. I decided to romp on it to clean it out. I rollout from a stop so I would not spin the tires and punched it, then caught second, then caught third. So far at this point I’m pounding the motor pretty good. I tacked it up to almost 5 G’s when I shifted. In third gear my turn was coming up. I slammed on the breaks for the turn. I had pretty good stopping G forces happening. I looked in my rear mirror and all I could see was white smoke as I was stopping. The smoke caught up to me. It smelled like a mix of oil and carbon. Now my plugs where fowled. The motor was missing on 2 or 3 cylinders. I babied it onto the highway and the missing cleared up. I did a test romp and it was running better than it ever did. No more smoke. I took it right home. This was bothering me so I checked the oil and the oil was over the full mark. I removed one quart and the oil stick was still showing over filled. I removed another quart and now it is at the full mark. Someone overfilled this motor by 2 quarts of oil. They put 10 quarts in instead of 8 quarts. I’m going to change the oil immediately. Do you think I did any harm to the motor?

Bolt

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No harm. the oil was sucked into the airbox, then through the throttle bodies and burned. happens to evryone new with the same response.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
steve's right, not an uncommon event

your VIPER was designed to accelerate, not stop.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another recent thread concerning the overfilling by the Jiffy Lube guy or worse yet......a Mopar mechanic.

Best to do this simple task yourself

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you!

Eventhough it's not smoking or leaking oil I feel better now.

I'll change the oil myself tonight and take it out and beat the Sh** out of it. I love this car! It's the next best thing to my rock crawler.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, in 2000-2002, the ACR was equipped with a 10 quart oil pan. None of the other GTS or RT/10 models got it. I wonder why this is such a common mistake?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you!

Eventhough it's not smoking or leaking oil I feel better now.

I'll change the oil myself tonight and take it out and beat the Sh** out of it. I love this car! It's the next best thing to my rock crawler.

Who does your work on the rock crawler? Do you have people that make custom shafts?

ViperBite

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For what it's worth, in 2000-2002, the ACR was equipped with a 10 quart oil pan. None of the other GTS or RT/10 models got it. I wonder why this is such a common mistake?

That is not correct. My 02 GTS has 10 quart capacity. I do not recall which year went from 8 to 10, but this is not exclusive to the ACR.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 Qts on my 2000 GTS,
Also, if I remember correctly the early brochures for the ACR were wrong and mentioned a special pan

Luc.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is not correct. My 02 GTS has 10 quart capacity. I do not recall which year went from 8 to 10, but this is not exclusive to the ACR.

That's interesting. If you look at this page:

http://ivr.viperclub.org/features.php

It seems to indicate that only the ACR got the bigger pan in 2000. Wonder who maintains that information?

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a 1998 GTS. It has 21,000 miles on it. I quickly checked the oil and it was clean. Since this car was owned by some slow drivers I put some lucas upper cylinder/gas treatment in it. I ran the car for 40 miles. I decided to romp on it to clean it out. I rollout from a stop so I would not spin the tires and punched it, then caught second, then caught third. So far at this point I’m pounding the motor pretty good. I tacked it up to almost 5 G’s when I shifted. In third gear my turn was coming up. I slammed on the breaks for the turn. I had pretty good stopping G forces happening. I looked in my rear mirror and all I could see was white smoke as I was stopping. The smoke caught up to me. It smelled like a mix of oil and carbon. Now my plugs where fowled. The motor was missing on 2 or 3 cylinders. I babied it onto the highway and the missing cleared up. I did a test romp and it was running better than it ever did. No more smoke. I took it right home. This was bothering me so I checked the oil and the oil was over the full mark. I removed one quart and the oil stick was still showing over filled. I removed another quart and now it is at the full mark. Someone overfilled this motor by 2 quarts of oil. They put 10 quarts in instead of 8 quarts. I’m going to change the oil immediately. Do you think I did any harm to the motor?

Bolt

So you checked the oil, it was over full and you didn't notice ;) slow down next time :)
Now that you have the correct level, why change the oil if it's clean and not due for a change ?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From an old post by the Wizard:

1992-1996 RT/10's: With the filter 10qts
1996 GTS: W/filter 8.5qts
1997-1999 RT/10&GTS 8.5qts
2000-2002 RT/10&GTS 10qts

All of the above, with stock oil pans.

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Who does your work on the rock crawler? Do you have people that make custom shafts?

I do all my own work on the rock crawler. Tom Woods did the shafts. http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html
Here is the link of my build if you are interested. http://imageevent.com/bolt/zuki
That is enough about the rock crawling. We'll let that for another BB forum.

Sorry guys, Just answering a question. :bonker:

Bolt

OP
OP
B

Bolt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So you checked the oil, it was over full and you didn't notice ;) slow down next time :)
Now that you have the correct level, why change the oil if it's clean and not due for a change ?

Good call! I know it was my falt. You're right I should have slowed down and payed attention. I bought the car with the oil over filled. I noticed it when I looked at the cat but overlooked it when I drove it. I know better. I'm changing it with the right amount. If they are so stupid at putting to much oil in it. Who knows what kind of oil it is. So, I'm getting it out of my engine and doing it right.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
would changing the PCV valve be a good idea? I was always told to change it if I suspected I had driven the car with an oil overfill...

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not to hijack the thread...but why did Dodge go from 10 qts to 8.5 and then back to 10?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
why slow down? stay in it!

I apologize in advance for this, but its just funny:

'cause you can't just *** VIPERs and throw them away like mustangs...

(I'm just kidding, of course)

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not so sure about that...my "01 RT only takes 8.5.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not so sure about that...my "01 RT only takes 8.5.

Here's the thread I got that information from. http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=552306&Forum=UBB14&Words=oil%20capacity&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=552104&Search=true#Post552306

(scroll about 1/2 way down)

I find it funny most guys here can install their own superchargers, but can't agree on engine oil capacity :p ;)

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if I've learned anything from working on my VIPER its that a change in model year means nothing to dodge, they seem to mix and match parts, and don't stop using the earlier design until they run out...

KepRght

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2001 GTS here with 10QT pan in it when I bought it. Ted May was surprised that it had this pan when we added the baffles.

The guy who owned the car before me might have added it with the ACR oil adapter.

how can you tell an ACR oil adapter from a non ACR? lol HIJACK

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think it got mentioned above, but even with the oil filled properly, it is still possible to puke oil from your valve covers into your intake manifold under hard throttle/braking condition resulting in the white pillowing smoke. Usually it is not enough to foul your plugs though.

Under WOT, you tend to put more oil up into the valve cover area and it gets pushed down the vent tube to the air intake on the drivers side of the car when you slam on the brakes creating negative g forces. From there, it gets sucked back into the intake manifold and your cylinders. You need to add an oil catch can in-line or vent the valve covers to the atmosphere to prevent the problem entirely.