Difference between driving Gen I vs. Gen II

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have owned my 94 RT/10 for a little over 3 years and have tracked it a couple of times (Willow Springs)as well as some "spirited driving" on some great roads (Ortega, Angeles Crest, etc.) and have been very happy with the way it handles.
I have read numerous posts about how evil the Gen I's handle vs. Gen II's.
I have never had the pleasure of driving a Gen II, and am wondering if someone who has driven both can describe the difference for me.
I suppose it may be like always flying in "coach" and not knowing what "first class" is like.
Just wondering.
Cheers,

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I heard the Gen1 has more "bump steer", but have no first hand experience with that. My C4 Vette had more bump steer than my Gen2 Viper.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove at Texas Rendevous a 2001 (I have a 1993).
I like the way my old Viper handles, its flat as a pancake, a mixture of ironing board and concrete mixer. (and lots of fun.)
I did not like the way the 2001 felt, suspension felt too "soft" and did not feel like it was any better when it came to handling.
Surprisingly, I turned almost 1/2 sec faster times with Gen 2. The suspension offers obviously more traction and handling is better.
Just my 2 cents...

Lauri

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned a 94 now have a 98... TOTALLY different. GenI feel is very 'raw'. GenII is MUCH more of a 'supercar' feel to it.
Probabaly a bad word to describe the difference, but much more of a 'luxurious' feeling..

Gerald

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I = Britney Spears
Gen II = Cindy Crawford

They are both great but one is more mature and easier to predict.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Owned a 94 now have a 98... TOTALLY different. GenI feel is very 'raw'. GenII is MUCH more of a 'supercar' feel to it.
Probabaly a bad word to describe the difference, but much more of a 'luxurious' feeling..

Gerald

I very much agree. Gen 1s are kind of knife-edged and quick to get power oversteer. Gen 2s are more supple, but *far* easier to drive fast. Revised geometry and unsprung weight are mostly responsible. The SRT is as different from the GTS as the GTS was from the original RT/10. However, it is probably more like the Gen1s in ride character - with light years better grip. My GTS with Penskes and monoballs rides much like the SRT.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 95 RT (Gen I). Just picked up a 2000 GTS yesterday for a friend and drove it a 150 miles home. I immediately noticed the softer suspension and, lighter clutch feel. It seemed more of a "civilized" driving machine compared to the Gen I, I guess it depends what type of car feel you are after. Above post is on target - "Britney as compared to Cindy". Power difference was difficult to determine due to the open cockpit vs. coupe, side exhaust vs. rear, etc. I prefer the feel of the Gen I, maybe I am bias. Regardless, both are great!! :usa:

ThinkingViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen I = Britney Spears
Gen II = Cindy Crawford

They are both great but one is more mature and easier to predict.

Does this mean that a gen 1.5 is a blonde or brunette?

PS- I'm serious! :smirk:

ThinkingViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL George! I was waiting for that comment, you win the "fastest predicted response" award :)

Seriously, does a gen 1.5 drive more like a gen 1 or gen 2? I'm guessing gen 2 with the suspension package, but I could be wrong.

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just recently made the switch from Gen I to II. I loved my Gen I, but I am absolutely amazed by how much easier it was to drive my GTS. I just picked up the GTS, so i only have limited experience with the car, but im still in shock :) I could carry on a conversation in the car, hear my CD player, and thought the ride was very comfortable. I actually think i wouldnt mind driving the car for long trips to the shore and such. I didnt even consider that possibility in my Gen I. Now my only complaint is that its TOO QUIET (100% stock). Time for some mods i guess.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't know until you check to see if the carpet matches the curtains ;-)

Classic. Now that I have owned a Gen I and Gen II car, I have to say that each have their own "personalities". Given the earlier "Britney vs. Cindy" comparison, how can you go wrong? Both will get attention and both will be fun to "drive". Enjoy.

viper spray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both, 95RT-10 and 97GTS, the Gen I feels like it has more torque and is more of an unrefined monster. The GTS is smoother , but can get away from you faster on the gas ,around turns , if you are not careful. It handles better overall , but my 95 sticks better with the Kumho's. The 97 will be getting Kumho's soon. My 95 W/nitrous is much faster and feels more like a race car, but overall I like the GTS more as a driver and will need to do a supercharger in the future.