Differential Fluid Change - Whats the process?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's it. You will need something to **** the fluid out of there with (or to at least start a siphon effect.)

that sure doesnt look like 41oz can fit in there before the hole

And you need a pump to pump it in !!! There are cheap plastic pumps that screw into typical size trans/differential fluid bottles available at the auto store chains that carry fluids. I'd put the friction modifier in the diff fluid bottle before putting the diff fluid in

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive used everything I have and called around...I cannot find a pump to get this out. Is there something wrong with taking the cover off? or is it a way bigger pain in the ass

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try the Mityvac. I used itit to drain my differential before I installed a diff drain plug. As for refilling the diff, I use a piece of plastic tubing (1/2" diameter I believe) and a funnel. I run the tube into the diff fill hole, up and over the wheel well. Using a funnel, I first fill with the mopar diff additive, then the fill. I let gravity fill the diff. Easy and clean to do.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive used everything I have and called around...I cannot find a pump to get this out. Is there something wrong with taking the cover off? or is it a way bigger pain in the ass

Try the Mityvac. I used itit to drain my differential before I installed a diff drain plug..
I think that I used the Mityvac also, the first time. I just used a long hose shoved in as fas down as I could get it, then when it sucked fluid out, and the fluid in the hose was below the diff, I put the hose in a drain pan to siphon it out. I had thought about putting a halogen lamp pointing on the diff to warm it up and make the fluid more runny. Never did it though. Autozone also had a big fluid sucker that looked like a metal syringe but with a hose instead of a needle, The cylinder was about 2 inches in diameter. That was several years ago when I picked that up.

The diff mounting points are part of the cover, so, that doesn't come off unless the diff is out of the car, I think.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that I used the Mityvac also, the first time. I just used a long hose shoved in as fas down as I could get it, then when it sucked fluid out, and the fluid in the hose was below the diff, I put the hose in a drain pan to siphon it out. I had thought about putting a halogen lamp pointing on the diff to warm it up and make the fluid more runny. Never did it though. Autozone also had a big fluid sucker that looked like a metal syringe but with a hose instead of a needle, The cylinder was about 2 inches in diameter. That was several years ago when I picked that up.

Good point on warming up the fluid I always warm up the diff before draining, makes it drain faster. I usually go for short drive before changing the diff fluid.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point on warming up the fluid I always warm up the diff before draining, makes it drain faster. I usually go for short drive before changing the diff fluid.
unfortunately i am not able to drive it to warm it up. its -25C here and snowy. Maybe I should wait until it is driving season. Does temp play a huge role in it? my problem now is that i have some fluid out, but not alot...but nothing I would feel comfortable driving with it like.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Just get-er-don.

The same effort is needed to push the new(cold) fluid into the diff as the effort to pull/**** the old cold stuff out.
Sure the fluid is easier to pull out when its warm, but no big deal.

ontariomystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a cheap hand pump amsoil sells that attaches directly to a quart of oil. Only instead of sucking the oil out of the quart I hooked a plastic tube to the suction side and and removed the oil through the differential fill hole. Then pumped the new stuff out of the bottle as intended. Worked great, took me maybe an hour.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/garage-accessories/bottle-hand-pump/

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't worry about it. Just get-er-don.

The same effort is needed to push the new(cold) fluid into the diff as the effort to pull/**** the old cold stuff out.
Sure the fluid is easier to pull out when its warm, but no big deal.

Believe me...ive tried to get it done the past 2 days. I have used the following with no sucess:

1) drill pump http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...802P/Mastercraft+Drill+Pump+Kit.jsp?locale=en

2) suction grease gun http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...PRD~0282620P/Suction+Grease+Gun.jsp?locale=en

3) the manual pump that has a hose on both ends that can be used to empty transmissions, etc.

Its a huge pain in the ass finding a hose small enough to fit in the hole and to the bottom, but still large enough to **** stuff out. Maybe i will try a new hose..whats the larges diameter hose that can be used to drain it. This ***** big time...:)

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a cheap hand pump amsoil sells that attaches directly to a quart of oil. Only instead of sucking the oil out of the quart I hooked a plastic tube to the suction side and and removed the oil through the differential fill hole. Then pumped the new stuff out of the bottle as intended. Worked great, took me maybe an hour.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/garage-accessories/bottle-hand-pump/
I did see something similar at Canadian tire. I guess I will go snag that and see if it works....

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your #2 (Suction Grease Gun) is what i use for my trans & diff. (it is a PITA & makes a mess but with patience gets the job done)

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After all this...the ONLY thing that worked was a pump from a body wash bottle with a 2 foot long hose attached to it. Go figure....

im pretty sure i didnt get a full 41ounces out, but I guess it's better than nothing.

now to get it back in....i will just pump it back in. do i teflon tape the plug even though it's up top?

and I just fill to the bottom of the drain plug..nothing special. correct?

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy long rolls of the clear tubing at lowes/homedepot in various sizes. Then you to cut a long enough piece to get to the bottom of the sump and allow you to comfortably pump.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bodywash bottle? Crafty... :)

No need for teflon tape. Just keep pumping intill she comes, then screw her with the ****.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy long rolls of the clear tubing at lowes/homedepot in various sizes. Then you to cut a long enough piece to get to the bottom of the sump and allow you to comfortably pump.

ya i did buy it. i didnt use the stick that was on the pump...i went and bought 2 feet of tubing and put it on. Kind of odd it seems about a cup....super brown/black. I will give it another shot and see what happens. Either way I guess replacing some is better than nothing.

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done...finally. I got a total of 28 ounces in it. Not completely empty, but good either way. The old stuff I took out was black..compared to the **** new clean stuff. Good thing that doesnt have to be done often.

thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte