Differential Problem?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so im driving on the hwy the other day and hit traffic. at the slower speeds it sounds like a flat coming right behind my pass side seat. at the higher speeds it was gone.

im driving around today and i hear a big thump on accel, like something poped out of gear or something and feel it in my hand/shifter. I can hear it from right behind the pass seat. it also happens when i make a right hand turn and get on it a bit. is this the differential that was a problem you think?

anyone familiar with this problem?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never got a thump or any clunking from my rear end. I did start to have a higher pitch whine from it. But the way we found a problem was by drianing the fluid in rear end. I had tons of metal chunks come out. Posi was basically dead, Id leave one leggers most of the time. So I ordered a quaife and 3:33 exchange from Parts Rack. One of the best mods Ive done. And it definately lays posi now. :D

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tator was nice enough to take my car in as soon as he heard i had a problem. lifted the car. pulled the drain, and wham! loads of metal chunks came out.

OP
OP
D

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2005 not sure what caused it but very common with these GEN IIIs. the old gen I n II diff are built alot better and double the price on the part. figure it out...its made cheaper.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing on my 05, tons of metal chunks. Supposedly it is the posi unit, it is the weak link. So I went with a quaife, because I knew it would happen again the way I drive.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Join the club.

Three Vipers, three Quaifes.

If you put a stocker back in, at least up grade to the 2008 or you will get to do this again.

Dan