DIY guy lookig for Paxton build advice

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm considering installing my own Paxton kit if possible. I enjoy doing the work and in the wake of a dramatic price increase at UGR, difficulty making contact with them and no direction as to who to use in the NY/NJ area I was hoping I could ask some advice. I hope this thread may help others as well.

At this point I don't know if I need 900rwhp but I'd like to make some decent numbers. I have experience and help with tuning my own AEM in that I used to have a 640whp import on pump and ****. My car is a 99 gts w/ headers, full 3" exhaust, rockers, push rods, smooth tubes, etc.

Where should I buy the kit?
Do I buy a standard kit or are their recommended upgrades (ie-Pulleys, supports, upgraded cooling/intercooling parts, etc)?

Buy a fuel system or design me own? Who's? (This will cause debate but I'd prefer a fuel system to a BAP at this point and know there's lots of info out there and people making really nice hangers, rails, etc.)

**** Kit advice? (I built my own but would definitely consider kit)

I'd also take any other recommendations for what needs to be considered. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

(PS- I threw this thread on the alley as well but haven't got any responses yet so I posted it here as well.)

Chipster

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best bet is to search through all the topics and decide on your own. Lots of people have different set ups that they are all happy with so you will get fairly biased responses.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tator wont do a paxton. in NJ you wont find anyone. in long island you have snake pit performance.

buy from one of the vendors and do it yourself or send it to DLM in florida.

fuel system, YES
better cooler, YES
AEM is the best if you can tune it yourself

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully you will understand all this since you say you are all about DIY.

1) Get a paxton with brackets. Do not get their inter cooler or fuel system they are both crap and you will need to through them away after install.

2)AEM-Perfect Setup for batch fire to run #3.

3)AEM **** kit upgraded with 4 1600lb injectors mounted past compressor.

4)Get crank keyed must buy the kit from one of the vendors.

5)Get a better tensioner than what comes with the paxton.

6)Fabricate your own air filter setup the one that the kits comes with is really good at loosing 50hp at the wheels when installed.

7)Tune to 60/40 fuel/****. No need for heat exchanger, your air charge will be good because of the ****. And remeber no water at all.

Good luck

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Wasn't too sure what parts of Paxton needed to stay and needed to go. Appreciate that.

AEM is a definite. **** is a definite but I hadn't planned on 4 big old injectors but keep in mind I'm an old 4 cylinder guy and really didn't give it much thought just yet. I modified a kit that supra guys were using on my DSM and it was more than enough! How is Roe's universal kit for ****?

Fuel system is the questionable part that I may consider buying from one vendor althought I've seen someone's nice hangers and someone else advertised some rails a while back. The rest seems like a straightforward fuel system with all sorts of fun fittings to work with.

As for where to buy the blower, it's a dumb question yet you hear some stories about service issues with certain vendors and you see some pretty drastic differences in pricing as well.

Keep the insight coming. I appreciate everyone's respective feedback.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gsav, give doug levin a call. he will talk to you and give you some pointers and help. even can sell you the fuel system.

unless you wanna push the system or crank up the power, i dont think you need ****. especially if you know its tuned right.

954-434-9356 ask for doug

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Wasn't too sure what parts of Paxton needed to stay and needed to go. Appreciate that.

AEM is a definite. **** is a definite but I hadn't planned on 4 big old injectors but keep in mind I'm an old 4 cylinder guy and really didn't give it much thought just yet. I modified a kit that supra guys were using on my DSM and it was more than enough! How is Roe's universal kit for ****?

Fuel system is the questionable part that I may consider buying from one vendor althought I've seen someone's nice hangers and someone else advertised some rails a while back. The rest seems like a straightforward fuel system with all sorts of fun fittings to work with.

As for where to buy the blower, it's a dumb question yet you hear some stories about service issues with certain vendors and you see some pretty drastic differences in pricing as well.

Your fuel system will depend on the power you are planning on making. If you are trying to make more than 900rwhp then you will need to do some minor fuel system upgrades. However considering the fact that you have a stock bottom end I am betting your goal is not to set new records for power.

Most of your additional fuel is going to come from the **** injection. Remember 60/40 mix which means if you make 800rwhp, 480 of that will be covered by fuel and 320 by ****. Your factory fuel system with an AEM unit can supply 480rwhp worth of fuel without any further mods.

You may want to spend the money on getting someone who is very familiar with AEM tuning to set that up for you, there will be some wire splicing involved.

Far as your **** kit goes, I would get the AEM **** kit especialy since you are going to be using an AEM unit to control it. Remember you will not be using the **** kit controler it will be all done by the computer all the time.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think Underground Racing has a paxton kit installed for around 15k including a fuel system. They still hold the record for the fastest paxton cars out there.:D

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm considering installing my own Paxton kit if possible. I enjoy doing the work and in the wake of a dramatic price increase at UGR, difficulty making contact with them and no direction as to who to use in the NY/NJ area I was hoping I could ask some advice. I hope this thread may help others as well.

At this point I don't know if I need 900rwhp but I'd like to make some decent numbers. I have experience and help with tuning my own AEM in that I used to have a 640whp import on pump and ****. My car is a 99 gts w/ headers, full 3" exhaust, rockers, push rods, smooth tubes, etc.

Where should I buy the kit?
Do I buy a standard kit or are their recommended upgrades (ie-Pulleys, supports, upgraded cooling/intercooling parts, etc)?

Buy a fuel system or design me own? Who's? (This will cause debate but I'd prefer a fuel system to a BAP at this point and know there's lots of info out there and people making really nice hangers, rails, etc.)

**** Kit advice? (I built my own but would definitely consider kit)

I'd also take any other recommendations for what needs to be considered. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

(PS- I threw this thread on the alley as well but haven't got any responses yet so I posted it here as well.)
Nick AT Modern WLong branch does them all the time 732-222-3679

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will be designing a fuel system on a car I have coming in. I will have a write up on the bracket/driveshaft loop I will be making for it. Keep your eyes peeled.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or you could go with a Roe supercharger instead? All the parts are quality and none need replacing. The Roe installs in less than 1/3 the time it takes to instal a Paxton, removing suspension crossmembers only for Paxton and not the Roe. Over 800rwtq with Roe by 2,000rpm. Roe comes with a Vec3 computer that is tuner friendly.

Lots of poeple prefer the Paxton and it's power after 3,000rpm. Many prefer that the Paxton will drive like stock at low rpms.

You didn't say what year Viper you have or if you have forged pistons. Once you get close to 700rwhp you'll want forged pistons and 9-1 compression, right?

You have a few shops around your area, use them.

Ted

Ted

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is lots of value in just installing a stock Paxton kit.

They perform reliable when stock. The drive line seems to also be maxed at this level for long term use. When you upgrade the performance of the stock system, more things break more often.

The stock system is able to overwhelm the stock tires on a nice cool day, so more hp does not get you much more performance and yet causes more reliability problems.

It is a pretty big do it yourself project, but lots of people have done them. They shops are much further up the learning curve after doing a bunch of these, and they have the ability to tweek them to your individual specs.

Should have access to a dyno with A/F readings to keep everything safe.

Had one on my o3. Never had a Viper that was so much fun.

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great insight guys. The car is a 99 GTS, stock motor with the exception of rockers and push rods. Keep the advice coming!

OP
OP
G

gsav69

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool deal! I definitely will! I'm having some wheel issues but hope to be driving the car by late march if possible!

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could go with a Roe supercharger instead? All the parts are quality and none need replacing. The Roe installs in less than 1/3 the time it takes to instal a Paxton, removing suspension crossmembers only for Paxton and not the Roe. Over 800rwtq with Roe by 2,000rpm. Roe comes with a Vec3 computer that is tuner friendly.

Lots of poeple prefer the Paxton and it's power after 3,000rpm. Many prefer that the Paxton will drive like stock at low rpms.

You didn't say what year Viper you have or if you have forged pistons. Once you get close to 700rwhp you'll want forged pistons and 9-1 compression, right?

You have a few shops around your area, use them.

Ted

Ted

Ditto. I did a Roe completely by myself, and no issues. You can change the pulley and make as much power as you want (within reason). But, make sure the rest of the drive train can handle it. I only have 5 psi of boost, and that makes a big difference on the street. Enjoy!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OOps.

My comments were for a SRT. Things very different for a Paxton. On Gen II I would steer people to Roe.

Much easier installation, and pretty stable if you don't push it too much.

Cast pistons handle little boost. Forged pistons much more forgiving.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Depending on the power you are looking for and what you are going to do with the car (track or street) will determine the best options. You also need to consider what you are capable of doing on the installation. I would be happy to go over the options.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte