DLM Level III back from track!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank god Gerald was wrong. Very wrong. :2tu:

1st pass: left at 2k, shifted slowly and took at least 2 seconds to find fifth gear (which really ***** on a dragstrip BTW). I barely ran in fifth before the finish line. Result 128mph but a much more impressive 10.94. Good start I was thinking. Track told me one more pass and that was it since I have no safety equipment other than a helmet and a 4 point roll bar in the garage.

2nd pass: Two hours later and it is hot. Car left the line at 200 degrees and it was easily 90+ in the staging lanes. And with having to hit fifth, I knew Roof's 151mph record would stay intact (j/k). So I launched a little harder since the first run bogged so bad. Left at 3k, shifted quicker and just forced myself to shift into fifth a little harder. The result:

6.724 @ 105.05
10.390 @ 132.41 mph

I am impressed. And the car has a lot left in it. A lot. The mph shows just how bad the conditions were. Runs on pump gas only with a dirty air filter, old belt with no tightening (sorry Doug), wing, front splitter and drag radials (front and back for some reason). A fluids and belt change along with some decent air and a rear gear to stay in fourth should be worth at least 10 mph.

Thank you Doug for one crazy street car. And thanks to Don Wilson for letting me play with the car for a while.

Doug, I want an update to the super-secret stuff. When can I get in :headbang:
? And I gave an English chap your card as he was thinking of going to Brand H for some crazy reason.

I'm psyched. We have the Vette/Viper shootout next weekend and I will probably be going to BG, so see a lot of you soon.

Chad

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3.55 gears.

I can't wait to get some seat time in this car to see what she'll really do. These are my only 2 dragstrip passes ever in a Viper and I am not doing the car justice, yet.

Chad

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CHad

That car has more in for sure!!!

I can't wait to see all these 800 RWHP plus cars at the V-10 Nationals In Bowling Green!!!

congrats on great numbers first time out

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My ET was off, but my MPH was on the money for you..

Nice tries! A belt isn't IMO going to make a difference unless it's slipping. Just ramp up the boost in 4th gear and see if your needles "jumps" back down or is erractic. That will tell you if you have belt slip and also a great amount of belt dust will be tell tale signs... I'm suprised your MPH was down that much. I was out all day today and although it was "hot" out today the air was cool.

I made my 1st runs and times ever with a belt that was about a year old and had a few "ribs" totally gone. I also had PS that wouldnt' hold a drop and leaked ALL over my belt. It help up suprisingly well ALL day. I finally took it off and changed it myself for preventative maintenance..

Take that air filter off at the track next time...

Still want to do those roll ons? :2tu: think you got what it takes to take me? Just kidding w/ you Chad.... :2tu:

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 132, I bet the clutch and belt are slipping. Doug told me I should really change both. The clutch is obviously slipping when I hit 4th and 5th gear but I bet the belt is on the way out (or at least needs a tightening). The car really lays down in fifth. I think stock gears will be a major improvement or a modification to fifth to make it a little lower.

Anyone want to trade me my 3.55's for their stock 3.07's?

Chad

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heck yeah, get those gears OUTTA there baby! Wouldnt' it be nice to have a longer 3rd and 4th gear? woo hoo!

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, I was expecting a bit more activity on the thread than this. Next time I'll post about getting nuts on the street spanking bikes and Supras. That's where the excitement seems to be.

Nah, see you at BG instead.

Chad

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Chad!!!!!!!
Now I'm really missing that car. I am very impressed. I know that car has 9s in her.I sent Doug the stock gears a few months back, call him and tell him I said you can have them. Also I built that car for fun on the street thats why the 3.55, and drags on all fours were for looks. But I will say that car corners very good with those sticky tires.If you remove all the add on stuff and a few changes you will be right there with Dr. Roof.

OP
OP
C

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Don and big thanks for the gears. I am going to try to stick it out with these gears for a while as they are fun on the street and just might help out enough in the first half of the track to more than offset the second half losses. It does put me at odds from a roll with veteran street racers like Gerald running around (and bikes unfortunately) but if I can rip off a nine on BFG's I'll leave the roll ons to the seasoned vets.

Like I have said before, you built one hell of a car here Don with the hp help of Doug of course.

It is a blast and gets way more looks than a spaceship, on fire. :D Yes, I'll get some pics coming this weekend, once I get it washed and ready for the Viper/Vette shootout.

Chad

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lose the 3.55's and go back to stock 3.07's, and you'll have a 9 second car. :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi