DLM runs 10.3 @ 150, 10.1 @ 152, 10.1 @ 150

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh. It's not easy to type on your WAP phone while feeding your 1-year-old at the restaurant, but this news couldn't wait
smile.gif

Details:

Moroso raceway, Doug driving, low 80s ambient temp. He took it easy on the launch, 1.6x short times, told me he was "going to leave the 9's to the customer
smile.gif
"
The 150+ MPH runs were on a medium shot of NOS; in a full-weight, A/C equipped etc. car like mine you need about serious power to run those kind of trap speeds. I expect it'll run 142-144 MPH on blower alone, but I'll find out as soon as it gets back to CA. These were only the 7th-9th runs it's made down the dragstrip with the S/C, so I expect with some seat time and fine tuning the ETs will improve significantly, even with me behind the wheel
smile.gif

I'll have some timeslips to post tomorrow evening if Doug's FAX machine is still working. Mostly, I'm just ready to get my RT back and start ripping up the local dragstrips & freeways
supergrin.gif

Last but certainly not least, kudos to Doug Levin and his team! A street-legal Viper which runs consistent 150+ traps was more than I could have hoped for when I sent him my car, but that's what he has delivered and my hat's off to the entire crew.

OP
OP
E

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice mph.. should be good for mid 9's with SW driving.. does that guy even have a real name?
smile.gif

so when this car does eventually click off a 9, wont it be the first induction viper in the 9's? all the others are heads/cam/nitrous..

- eddie -

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, there is definitely more to get out of the car. Doug was not
launching hard or banging gears,just lifting & shifting. On the
first pass 10.37 150mph when he hit third gear it pulled so hard
it looked like a hole shot.

Best pass 10.11 152mph of the three runs.

I am sure it can do better,but it is not his car and he didn't
really beat on it the way he would have done his own.

It was the hit of the test & tune show.

p.s. If you want to hear what an ant hears before the Hoover gets
him,stand at the end of the track.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald -- I was wondering that too. I know Doug ran his personal car to a single 154 MPH pass a while back, but he was probably spraying a bigger shot, and shifting a little more aggressively since it was his own ca. As far as I know, the current hierarchy is:

DLM's personal car: 154 MPH
Treynor's car: 152 MPH
RSI, Albert, and Hennessey: 151 MPH
... and then ? nothing above mid-140s.

Corrections? Additions? Anyone? Buehler?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is SICK!

I can't believe those numbers!

I might have to bump up my level II which is in-progress to a level III!

Sick, Ben... Sick!

I am glad I don't live in CA, as I'd be so intimidated that I'd have to sell my car...

JD

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, I read every one of your posts and must say this, wow!

Sweet car you have got there.

Now if I may, because Eddie Hill is retired I think it would be ok to use this.

You car should be called..... "The Nuclear Banana"

What do you think? Too foo foo?

Anyway, congrats to you and Doug on one heck of a machine.

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is plain Sick! I mean you think you have a fast car until you see a yellow RT Coming. Just get out of the way!

Congrats Ben on a awesome Car! When you get it back keep us imformed on your first experience!

Great job DLM.

OP
OP
E

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J SMITH:
I believe Hennessey's TT car ran high 9's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are correct.. i forgot about that car...

- eddie -

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am really impressed to see that alot of the Vipers with these enormous hp #'s and low et's are RT/10. Ben and anyone else, was it a conscious decision in the beginning to use an RT or did you consider a GTS. I'm partial to RT's, but do you think an RT and GTS would post nearly identical times with the same amount of power. I've always heard up around 150 the GTS would pull from an RT. Thanks and I hope you enjoy your 1,000 hp car!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking personally, I always wanted an RT because I enjoy convertibles and I like the looks of the RT. Once I had the RT, DLM was just the logical endpoint as I proceeded down the modifications path from mild to completely insane.

Aerodynamically the RT is consuming about 80 HP more by 150 MPH compared to the GTS. Given equal power, the GTS would walk away at high speeds. If I ever find an equal power GTS on the road at 150, I'll be sure to wave him by
laugh.gif

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
152 is fast! Why so much power
laugh.gif
? That's one heck of a MPH.
Keep up the good work Doug and Ben. That's one fast car.

Max

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Wayne -- it's done now, so depending on how quickly Exotic can get the car from Doug's shop back to my place... I'm sure I can take you for a spin after I finish breaking the dyno at your shop
supergrin.gif

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll be waiting.....
My car will be ready to roll by Nov. 1st. I know it's only a mere 750hp compared to your 10000000hp monster, but maybe we can still have some fun.
-Wayne

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can surely claim to be the fastest banana in the world,capable of spanking an F-16 through the 1/4.
Ben or Doug,how bout telling the viper nation how much the Level 4 package cost$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.I might have to bust open the mattress.
eek.gif

If you mod you are
cool.gif

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ben-
You may want to contact the FAA about getting a pilot's license for that car! Holy Hesus!!

Boy...sounds like the bar is raised for Viper performance....VERY HIGH!! After we finish up our customer's LETHAL 750 + nitrous Viper, we're gonna be 'forced' to do the LETHAL 750 + supercharger (LETHAL 1000??) peformance package.....

Can't wait to go for a ride....when can I?
-W

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben...man...152 in the 1/4...that beats my '77 Power Wagon! But I can drag more dead deer out of the woods...

Seriously...phenomenal trap speed.

What tires and gearing? Any changes to shocks or suspension?

Regarding the incredible speed: your car is YELLOW. If it was a lesser color, it would have been 151 or less ;-)

I think my GTS needs a blower...I'll shelve the plans for swapping in that 225 Slant Six for now!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt; What tires and gearing? Any changes to shocks or suspension?

For the 'strip, just the standard 26x11.5x16 M/T ET streets and 3.07 rear gears, which FWIW definitely hurts ET. I considered going to a 3.31 to get better ETs, but my RT is first and foremost a street car, and the last thing it needs on the street is shorter gearing -- it already lights up the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, and I don't want to add 4th to that list just yet.

Suspension is a set of full-adjustable shocks with slightly softer springs -- again, I didn't want to compromise the streetability, but I wanted to get more traction at both street & strip.

&gt; Ben or Doug,how bout telling the viper nation how much the Level 4 package cost?

You know you have to ask that question to Doug -- I don't boost & tell
supergrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96