DLM Supercharged Viper: in-car video!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, you've all been asking for it, so here it is - a 4-minute ridealong video from my DLM Viper. You'll want to right-click and save this one; it's just under 7 MB:

1000 HP Viper in-car video

Many thanks to my friend Tou for taping his ride and turning over the tape to my editing studio. Next time I promise to bring drag radials, so the car doesn't lose traction every time I hit it
supergrin.gif

A high-bandwidth version of the video will be posted in about an hour once Premiere finishes rendering it...

alexWS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eek.gif
Man! that was a sweet video. i'd love to see some flybys or launches too. I bet that thing is a blast to drive!

RickL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alexWS6:
eek.gif
Man! that was a sweet video. i'd love to see some flybys or launches too. I bet that thing is a blast to drive!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, WOW! That's the vid I've been waiting to see, AWESOME! Post more if you have them.

-Rick

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my software does not recognize this file how can i transfer this to a mpeg file?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ben! Great video/fun to watch. Heck, I wish it was 10 minutes longer!

Were those 50/60 to 110 runs in third or fouth gear? Interesting to compare your video to my own (far less HP) Roe S/C impressions.

alexWS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a video from outside the car. I wanna see a 40 mph roll till when you're out of sight!

AMAZING CAR!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yesnod.gif
yes, that would be perfect!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd love for you to meet up with a nice R-1 (perhpas you can meet Yves one day)...or busa.. even modified slightly (no nos or turbo), but exhaust , chain, etc. you'd walk them like a dog.. I know I do, and I've got about 75 to 100 less rwhp (not for long)
supergrin.gif

Gerald

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great vid!

Also, (if there is a next time) have the camera man keep the camera focused on the speedo for one of the 50-110 runs...I wanna see that needle swing that far in 4 seconds!
smile.gif

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
argh.. i hate videos.. cant judge anything at all.. 60-110 feels like 60 to 70... yeah, it takes about 3 seconds, but i cant feel it
frown.gif
no reference point...

good effort to make is feel like part of it though
smile.gif

alex
02 gts
few other cars

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's the downside of in-car video... it doesn't convey the speed sensation properly. I watch the video and it seems positively lethargic; you don't get any sense of the rear tires spinning and scrabbling for traction, the car rocketing forward, the other traffic suddenly getting much closer. Heck, even in-car dragstrip video from 8-second cars looks pretty slow. It's quite a rush when you're doing the filming, though.

I clearly need to get a video shot from outside the car. Now what could we use as a chase vehicle...

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Understatement of the new millennium:

"It's quite the little machine".
eek.gif

Ben, what gear are you running in the rollons?
Unless your shifting is lighting fast and I'm missing it with all the commotion, it seems to me all the rolls are without shifts?? 50 and 60 to 110 in the same gear?
Do tell....
The 60 dump seemed to pull harder than the 50, for us that have to make do with 450 horse that would need a shift to third in that run? Just wondering.....

Your car brings motoring to a completely new level, would it be a safe assumption it is one of the fastest cars in the area, if not the country on street tires?

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, Congratulations! Great video! I have a small request though: Could you please do a 100-180MPH run one with the camera on the speedo and one with the camera on the road as you are blowing by some cars? I think that would be the BOMB! Your car sounds great! Paolo

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, let me clarify a few things.

All the runs were done in 3rd gear. I don't bother with downshifting to 2nd since it'll spin even in 3rd at WOT. With the 19" rears on my car, 3rd is good to 126 MPH. I was ending the pulls around 5500 RPM because the speeds were getting fairly high.

None of the runs were done via a clutch dump. They're all from a roll with the clutch engaged; you hear the engine roar because the rear tires both spin when I floor it
supergrin.gif
I would typically back off the throttle momentarily to let them hook up.

The one pull from 60 was the best because the tires were warm from the previous run and more-or-less stayed hooked, so I was able to feed in more throttle immediately. Also, 50 mph in 3rd is 2600 RPM, which is at the low end of the powerband...

Josiah Gross

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some one Help Please!! I downloaded the video but I only get sound. I saved it to my downloads folder and opened it with winamp. Any one know what's going on? Thanks, I really want to see this beast in action!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that WinAmp is for audio files only.

Try your Windows Media Player application. And if that doesn't work, update the player to a newer version and try again.

-Dean.

GTS-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ben, that was great. I have been watching your car for a while. I have recently sent Doug my car and asked for the III+ transformation. Thanks to you and all the other kind DLM owners who have helped in my decision. I toured Doug's shop and it is top notch.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video Ben!

Although, I do always stress the importance of safety on public roads (I know this may come as a shock to you) I too have driven in the "fast lane."

Your car is terrific and so are you!

Have fun,
Doug

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cerevo