Do I need a tune up, or what???

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile now, just hadn't gotten around to it. When I drive with my windows open, every time I decelerate I get absolutely buried in exhaust fumes that smell like my car is running very rich. It's enough to make my eyes water sometimes, literally. My car has about 2K miles on the current plugs and only about 500 miles on a new set of Ab's wires. I cleaned my K&N filters thoroughly about 100 miles ago. The car seems to idle fine and accelerates smoothly. I am getting some black fuel residue on the back of the car that only seems to come off with detail spray (ie soap doesn't cut it), but I just chalked that up to the Random-tech HF cats.

Does the Viper (mine is an '01) just run that rich by design, or is something up with my car?

Reaction score
The Viper will run rich and the Random tech cats are probably not able to keep up or just plain are not working enough anymore. It this a side or rear exit exhaust? If it is rear exit you may ave a leak somewhere and this may be a big part of the richness and burning of your eyes.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your plugs to make sure the gap is correct.

The black spots on the bumper is common.

Perhaps getting a re-tuned PCM would help cut down. I can't remember off hand what your A/F Ratios were when the car was dynoed last November, but you are definitely too rich.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check your plugs to make sure the gap is correct.

The black spots on the bumper is common.

Perhaps getting a re-tuned PCM would help cut down. I can't remember off hand what your A/F Ratios were when the car was dynoed last November, but you are definitely too rich.

Here's the graph from the dyno day:

You must be registered for see images

The plugs were installed by Doug Levin before the car was shipped up from Florida, so I assumed they would be gapped appropriately, but I'll take a look.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Are the plugs a colder heat range or just new? If they are colder they may be fouling out. We have seen this on S/C cars that are not driven hard enough and the N/A cars set up for the track that are driven normal too much.

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the plugs a colder heat range or just new? If they are colder they may be fouling out. We have seen this on S/C cars that are not driven hard enough and the N/A cars set up for the track that are driven normal too much.

I have not checked the plug type to see if they are a one-step colder plug, but I will do that as well. Thank you.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exhausters? Do those come with a free bottle of blinker fluid? :D

....or am I missing something?

You also get five gallons of prop wash with your exhausters. LOL! :lmao:

They are in the rear quarters of the GTS's and when they don't seal you get ALOT of exhaust fumes in the car with the windows down! :omg: I left you a phone message, call me tomorrow!

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You also get five gallons of prop wash with your exhausters. LOL! :lmao:

They are in the rear quarters of the GTS's and when they don't seal you get ALOT of exhaust fumes in the car with the windows down! :omg: I left you a phone message, call me tomorrow!

Oh the trunk vent...thingies. I know what you're talking about now. I'll give you a call tomorrow. I knew about them but had no idea what to look for. Thanks Chuck!

(and can I exchange the prop-wash for rotor-wash at my local dealer? I much prefer it, being an Army guy and all ;) )

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hopefully without sounding too stupid I have to ask --------what purpose do these so-called exhausters serve? or is this some sort of sick joke?

eagles

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They draw air out of the cabin, and if working correct they seal shut to prevent air from being drawn in from the rear quarter side vents.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960