Do Vipers have good radios??

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that you would prefer to listen to some tune instead of your engine tunes
but I was wondering how a stock radio in a Viper sounds? Is it good for stock
or do you need to upgrade to better speakers, player etc. I just bought a 97 GTS and still have by 3k audio system from my past car so I was thinking of installing it in the GTS.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT BLOWS! But I upgraded to Cerwin vega 6.5 w/crossovers components in the doors & Polk Audio 6 3/4 in the rear. Sound 100% better for under 300$

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC should have just routed some decent wiring and left all the components out for folks to customize as they wish. The stock system is not good - this coming from a guy that doesn't give a sh*t about sound systems.

Your GTS will do fine with a decent stereo, but if you ever get a RT/10 don't bother putting big $$$ in any sound systems. The acoustics in a RT/10 resemble that of a garbage can in a tornado.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with chuck. I'm an audio snob, and you'd have to do major work to get good sound out of an RT/10 (such as replacing the center speakers with a custom enclosure for subs or somesuch).

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It *****.......you have to replace the whole thing if you want to add an amp,because the wiring is weak.....good luck.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought 96 and up Vipers came with Alpine stereos? Or maybe not Alpine but ther do not look like the 92-95 r/t radios. I guess I am going to find out.

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the stock system and I am replacing it in a couple of months.

Just curious. Before I spend any $$$, You guys are telling me that it probably is not going to make a difference. I don't want an ear drum buster. I just want full rich sound with a wide range of highs and lows. The stock stereo (cassette player)in the car has neither. It stinks.

Is it the head unit, the speakers, the acoustics. What can be done with the least amount of effort? The comments between pdmracing and Steve Miehe is confusing. But then one drives a GTS and the other drives a RT-10

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
93, it is an Alpine,but it's low-end alpine and the speakers are Chrysler (ugh).......at first I was only going to replace the speakers,but the rears will always sound like crap unless you replace the amp.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the stock receiver and amp are Alpine. Problem 1 is the speakers can't handle the first cords of "Stranglehold." Problem 2 is the amp overheats and shuts out four seconds into Angus Young's "The Furor." Any other problems can be defined by the Audiophiles.

Maybe some of the ***** music played today doesn't have these issues.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock pieces are not all that good.

To date, I've replaced just the speakers.

JL Audio 6" subs in the back - direct fit.

Boston Acoustic 5.5" Pro Series components - fit with some modifications to the trim ring supplied - no modifications to the car required.

An improvement but the acoustics in the Viper leave a lot to be desired. I run a big money setup in my Lightning and the Viper will never sound like it, no matter how much money I dump into it. Gotta love having a huge gas tank jutting up between you and the rear subs...