Do you find people don't even know SRT-10 Vipers exist?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my three months owning my SRT-10 Viper, it still amazes me that people don't even know the SRT models even exist. They assume they stopped making them after the GTS. They also don't know Vipers come in convertibles...have you guys noticed that?

I realize the Viper isn't for everyone, based on price and it's driving charcteristics...but do you think Dodge has done a poor job marketing the Viper?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been an owner off and on since 1993 and you correct ALOT has changed since the mid 90s.When the RT-10 and GTS were first produced the overall aura was magical.(Basic reaction was NO MATTER WHAT I GOT TO HAVE THAT CAR )To put it in perspective i took delivery of my GTS (sERIAL NUMBER 502 )in May of 96.The car was one of the first if the the first distributed to the public (FIRST 200 produced went to celebritys ,Chrysler employees ect )Upon taking delivery i had numerious offers for 10 grand above sticker(and i paid under sticker for the car thanks to Darren Buhler ) Remember that car stickered for mid 60s Different time,different world.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL when the first RT-10 and Gts were produced if one was put on the showroom for dispay the public would show up to GAWK

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
People ask me all the time if they still make Vipers.

I tell them they stopped making the good ones in 2002... :rolaugh:

There was a guy at the car show Saturday that asked "What kind of car is that?" as he walked past four GTS'. :dunno:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago when we had the SFlorida meet among hundreds of other cars very few knew what an ACR was.....I have not seen a single brochure at a dealer featuring the ACR for 09.....

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 1&2 Vipers are to Gen 3&4....
as
1964 Corbra are to a 2008 Ford Cobra.

The Original is always the BEST :D

tmish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Gen 1&2 Vipers are to Gen 3&4....
as
1964 Corbra are to a 2008 Ford Cobra."

The spelling is as accurate as the analogy!...
:D

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Gen 1&2 Vipers are to Gen 3&4....
as
1964 Corbra are to a 2008 Ford Cobra."

The spelling is as accurate as the analogy!...
:D

Well excuse me..if you worked as many hours today as I have you might misspell a word or have a typing error.;) oh and its ok to wish you had a original.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well excuse me..if you worked as many hours today as I have you might misspell a word or have a typing error.;) oh and its ok to wish you had a original.

Wow nice reply. Comparing a Gen III - IV to a Mustang Cobra is a little bit of a stretch don't you think?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think Ryan started this thread to start a debate over which car is better, but as a question on the overall marketing of the product.:2tu:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow nice reply. Comparing a Gen III - IV to a Mustang Cobra is a little bit of a stretch don't you think?
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think Ryan started this thread to start a debate over which car is better, but as a question on the overall marketing of the product.:2tu:
Flatout,
I was not comparing a Viper to a Mustang. the new cobra is nothing like the old cobra.
as the new Viper is nothing like the old Viper.
I have also had many ask me why they stopped making the Viper.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's funny you mention that. Last week i was washing my '04 and a guy, in his 30s, came up to me and said, "Is that a viper? I haven't seen one of those in years. They still make those things"? It didn't really surprise me because I can't ever remember seeing a commercial for a viper, I've never seen a new one at a dealer, and generally you don't see them on the road. It is kind of a mythical car to many people. I like it that way.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only remarkable response that I get most often is, "Dodge makes that?" Folks seem surprised that an American company like Dodge can produce such an exotic looking car.

They always assume it's made by a manufacturer that ends in an "I".

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my three months owning my SRT-10 Viper, it still amazes me that people don't even know the SRT models even exist. They assume they stopped making them after the GTS. They also don't know Vipers come in convertibles...have you guys noticed that?

I realize the Viper isn't for everyone, based on price and it's driving charcteristics...but do you think Dodge has done a poor job marketing the Viper?

It's because only a few are made - hence, you don't see many on the road. Let's keep it that way.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's funny you mention that. Last week i was washing my '04 and a guy, in his 30s, came up to me and said, "Is that a viper? I haven't seen one of those in years. They still make those things"? It didn't really surprise me because I can't ever remember seeing a commercial for a viper, I've never seen a new one at a dealer, and generally you don't see them on the road. It is kind of a mythical car to many people. I like it that way.

Stories like that are EXACTLY what I'm referring to

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge didn't need to spend the money on marketing because the car sold itself. With all the press it got when it came out people knew what they would be getting into and if they wanted one they would seek out a dealer and get one. In later years dodge depended on us (the viper owner) to do the marketing. Not only for viper but for the whole brand as well.

As I recall there was only one specific viper commercial and it was made back in 2000 if i'm not mistaken. I have the dvd. They only made it because they had never made a viper commercial and figured it deserved one.

AndrewDoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't Dodge actually drop the "Viper" name on the first Gen III cars? It was supposed to just be called the SRT-10....I believe.

witz323

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's the youtube link to the one and only viper commercial...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFeBeoAxAY4[/media]

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They didn't exactly advertise the SRT-4's either. Seems kind of foolish as I am quite sure they would have sold many more of them.

Motivated

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a lady ask me if it came that way or if I had built it, when I told her I got it like this she said "Dodge makes that, my goodness, I had no idea its beautiful" :D She must have been 80 or more and it was great. I have had a quite a few ppl ask casually what it is though. I like it a lot, mystery machine

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow, that is a great commercial. I watched it twice and (I'm not $hitting you) I got the urge to go out and get a red GTS. They did a fantastic job on that. Now, if they would only do something like that for the ACR, I think they'd have more orders than they knew what to do with. For example, stick to the same theme as the old commercial (same music, same filming style), but insert an ACR ripping through the Ring. End it with "7.22 - Not only different, but fastest in the world."

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No there were a few others as well .For example a couple of guys again gawking from outside a closed showroom with the new 1996 Gts in it .IT aint for everybody THEN AGAIN ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE (one states the other one replies).

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No there were a few others as well .For example a couple of guys again gawking from outside a closed showroom with the new 1996 Gts in it .IT aint for everybody THEN AGAIN ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE (one states the other one replies).
Ps maybe someone could post the link to the above as it was a great ADVERTISMENT.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's sad is that I clearly remember back in the '90s when 'Viper fever' was in full swing. If you went into showrooms, the cars were all marked up over MSRP, they had ropes around them, and people were magically drawn to them. Now, I get the impression that people are having a hard time unloading their cars, and without seriously lowering prices, they just aren't moving. A lot of it is the economy, but I think a lot of it is customer perception (or lack thereof). I'm a big fanatic of the car, and to be honest I lost interest in getting a new one after the GTS body style gave way to the Gen III body style. From that point on, I hadn't even considered another one until I heard about the ACR last year when I stumbled upon it in a magazine article - which brought me back to the VCA for more information. I consider myself to be an average Joe kind of guy, so I'm confident there are a lot more out there like me who would get excited about this car if they just knew about it.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen print and online ads for the SRT group that did not even have a Viper in the lineup. There's been no factory-sponsored racing. The world record N'ring lap is set by the engineers and enthusiasts who go there on their own nickel. And Dodge does nothing to capitalize on the free marketing opportunity of being the world record holder anyway. So if people are unaware, there's a reason. For a long time, it has seemed deliberate. That's why I bought an '09--I was sure it was the last year. Glad to see I was wrong, but if the new owners take the same tack, it will be the same lame duck scenario.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe GM runs Corvette ads either, they just put over 50,000 on the street every year for advertisement. I have to remind people that these are handmade sports cars and that they produce less than 1,500 every year. So the chances of seeing one is slim.

The few times I've ever seen another one on the road, I find myself straining my neck like a fifth grader to get a better look at it myself.:D

I always like it when the valet move a MB, Bently or Porsche to put my Dodge up front. I never ask them to, I assume they may like looking at the Viper themselves. Go figure:rolaugh:

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960