Do you think $45K will buy a 2006 coupe at years end?

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a $45Kish limit for a Viper that I plan to purchase between Dec09-March10. I could possibly stretch that into $50K, but I'd like to hold some cash back for mods:lmao:

Since the Z06 isn't available as a Vert, my search begins and ends at the SRT-10 Vert. However, I've completely fallen in love with the look of the 2006 coupes and would absolutely, 100%, give up open air driving for a chance to own one. They seem to be "just" out of my price range, and I don't really feel comfortable stretching it out any further.

I realize VCA members can't predict the future, but I hold their opinion to a higher standard. Do you think the 2006 coupes will dip into the mid to low 40s by the middle of winter?

2001-V10 Power Nut

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think a SRT-10 2006 can be had for that price if you find a motivated seller, or maybe one with higher miles

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not an 06', but Woodhouse has a nice silver ACR in your price range. :headbang::drive:

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm resigned to the fact that it will be a higher mileage Viper.

But honestly, that is one of the things that draws me to the car(just like Vettes) They can take a ton of punishment/mileage/mods, and they just keep on going. Even when they break, repairs are relatively inexpensive, and I'll probably be able to do it myself.

I can already sense some hostility towards this thread...I understand owners don't want their cars to decrease in value, but looking at it objectively, is it a possibility?

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last Monday I got a 06 vert with only 4K on the clock and it was in pristine condition. I paid $51k the dealer wanted 55.9.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen a handful of '06 coupes in the $55K range. Two red ones and a black one. None had stripes. Two things could happen though in the next year. Viper goes away or becomes "Non-Dodge Viper" and demand increases as people try to get one. Prices hover or go up. Or, the economy takes another dump due to inflation and jobs being lost, and prices go down some more. Honestly, I feel the best time to buy was about 2 months ago. I'm seeing prices starting to rise on all sorts of cars now that spring and summer driving weather is here. So, there really is no way to know. I'd say you have a 75% chance of seeing an SRT coupe hit $45K in a year. Better have your money in hand and ready to go, should that deal come around!

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is $46,300 too much for a 23,000 mile '06 convertible in GTS Blue? Reason I ask is that is my "turn in" lease - I have made my last payment ... and that is the payoff ... if a dealer wants to buy (or someone thinks they can get US Bank to sell it straight to them). I don't see why not, dealer pays no tax if buys ... buyer pays tax, no matter who they are buying one from.

Car is great ... no problems with ... can be seen / driven in So FL ... but not driven until I know all is in place with US Bank, etc. Only thing in for me is no $395 turn-in fee ... so I will do, but not beat my brains out for that money.

Dealers? Perhaps too much for them to re-sell and make any profit? But perhaps individual like this one DOES have interest. Only sprayed like 50 or 70 like this (vert in color). Only conv in this color seen in So FL, though there are a couple in FL in entirety I think.

Never mod'd or raced in any way. Rock-solid and again, that can be confirmed ... but potential buyer must deal with US Bank. I already DID prelim's regarding a dealer ... they said I can do that ... if dealer will pay the payoff.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you could snag an 05 with a bit higher mileage on it. If you want a coupe then 06 but you may be into a 40k mile car then but again like you mentioned thats not a big deal. Im not sure what will happen with prices especially with the current viper situation (sold or discontinued). The original Dodge Viper may begin to climb in price if the new owner is fiat?:dunno:

I think if I was you and I had to wait that long to come into the market place to buy I would stop looking until closer to the time or your going to go nuts:hypno:. Might be to late though:lmao: good luck

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier in the year before I got my coupe I did run across two red '04 verts for $39,500 with relatively low mileage. Both were motivated sellers in the middle of winter. Problem was I didn't want a vert. Could you get a vert right now for $45K ? Maybe if you look long and hard. I have watched the number of Vipers that are for sale on the different on-line places drop quite a bit. I really stretched to be able to get my Viper and am very fortunate to have such a great car. Unfortunatley/fortunately, in any other market I probably could not have gotten my car. Only thing I would like better would be an ACR. No regrets though, I love this car and I suppose if the market gets really crazy in regards to prices rising I can always justify moding the car.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt it Ryan,

Honestly 50 was about the lowest we saw for the coupes, and that was in the middle of the winter while Dodge was still building Vipers LOL.

I would think from here that they are going to hold steady at around 55K mark if not start to go back up to around 60K.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Earlier in the year before I got my coupe I did run across two red '04 verts for $39,500 with relatively low mileage. Both were motivated sellers in the middle of winter. Problem was I didn't want a vert. Could you get a vert right now for $45K ? Maybe if you look long and hard. I have watched the number of Vipers that are for sale on the different on-line places drop quite a bit. I really stretched to be able to get my Viper and am very fortunate to have such a great car. Unfortunatley/fortunately, in any other market I probably could not have gotten my car. Only thing I would like better would be an ACR. No regrets though, I love this car and I suppose if the market gets really crazy in regards to prices rising I can always justify moding the car.

I saw two SRT convertibles in the $36-38K range just a week ago. While these are definitely on the low end of the price range for SRT cars, the deals do exist. If I see one hit 20s, I might have to pick up another Viper as a ******.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '06 coupe red, 22K miles about 14 months ago, 52.5K. Miles didn't matter to me, I replaced the entire drive train had the engine fully built., etc.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I expect a finders fee. Your dream just came true, this one is just west of Houston:

$44.9K SRT Coupe

I'm wondering about the "3-cylinder" and the photo of the Ram though. Might not hurt to call anyways, just to see if it is a scam. The phone number is a Houston area code (281)

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I expect a finders fee. Your dream just came true, this one is just west of Houston:

$44.9K SRT Coupe

I'm wondering about the "3-cylinder" and the photo of the Ram though. Might not hurt to call anyways, just to see if it is a scam. The phone number is a Houston area code (281)

Last summer when I started shopping for a Viper, this car kept coming up on ebay a lot. It was listed as a car from New Orleans. Those are the same photo's from a year ago. Price has come down a lot since a year ago, it was something like $55K. Could be a great deal, I wouldn't wait until December if it is legit.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony! Unfortunately, timing isn't right just yet for my financially.

As far as the Verts go, I certainly won't be disappointed with one. I've found them as low as 38K, and of course a nice lower mileage model can be had for low 40s. I don't expect those prices to go up at all, no matter what happens to Viper. But, if for just a little extra cash I could hop into a SRT-C, I would do it in a heartbeat.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ryan you know I picked up my 1 owner 03 with 7K miles for 39K.

I had 50K to spend on an 06 coupe but this car was just such an amazing deal in in incredible shape that I decided to spend less and mod more:D

I can tell you on days like today in maryland I love having the top down!

Andy Wheeler:2tu:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ive been searchin fot a 06 coupe for the past 6 months. i have seen most 06 coupes have a asking price of 48 to 52k, meaning that you could easily pick one up for 46 to 50k right now. 500 hp and
mph trapp speeds is just limp wristed compared to a 126 mph z06 or 129 mph 08 viper or 128 mph zr1.

JimK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you think the 2006 coupes will dip into the mid to low 40s by the middle of winter?

Spoke to an economist this week that fears the US credit rating could be downgraded. IF that happens, inflation/higher interest rates, more job losses etc here we come!

I can't believe the clowns we have running our country right now - an empty Chanel suit as Speaker, a bumbling fool that can't keep his mouth shut as VP, and a slimey Chicago machine politician at the top! It gets more terrifying by the week! :curse:

You might get your Viper a whole lot cheaper than your target...(I'm looking too by the way, in the same price range)

Jim

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
by january you may see me selling my GTS blue 2006 coupe at around that price. i'll probably have like 20,000 miles by then.

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my best advice is save up for what you want.

When i bought my viper i bought it with ugly 10 spokes and without stripes so that i can have it in my "price range". it wasn't even 2 months after buying it that i ended up dropping $5,000 on a set of 5 spokes with tires.

Not only that but it may be better spending a few grand more on a really low mileage one. I bought mine with 12,000 miles, and i know by january it may have 20,000 miles and that may turn down a lot of potential buyers and lower my resale.

OP
OP
A

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PM me when you decide to sell it. I'm still not set on any particular car, but I'm not scared of the higher mileage of yours

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Huntington Beach ford has had a 06 copperhead coupe over there for ages. I offered them 58k out the door last october and the manager looked down his nose at me. I was over there all the time. He wouldn't budge. Then in january I found a blue with white stripes at another dealer in costa measa which I stole for 43k and then spent 10 grand on the light ACR wheels tires rotors, exaust, air cleaner, silver dash and maxicare waranty. Now that same copperhead is 48k. I bet one could get that car out the door for 50k or less.....Don't be afraid af the milage. Vipers are not real good investments. You're gonna lose a ton when you sell it so just enjoy it. I babyed my first '03 hoping for a good resale price and still lost a ton. Now I'm going drive it and not even think about resale..or chips in the paint or any thing else.....except tickets. Got my first speeding ticket in my life, not including motorbikes,(I'm 59 )a month after I bought it...Got to buy a Valentine next..