Dodge is losing creditability with me and I am sure others...

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge is losing credibility with me and I am sure others...

Dodge is losing credibility with me and I am sure others, since they just can’t seem to tell us…The Viper Nation…the future of the car we love. I’m tired of hearing CAAP dates that keep changing, due to rumors. Dodge is going to lose not just my Viper purchases, but all other purchases (I think I will be buying European from now on). I just don't feel I can trust a company that won't tell its most loyal group the truth.

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you mean credibility or creditability? Unfortunately and perhaps, inadvertently, both may well be true.

Regardless, to attribute the repercussions of the worldwide recession/depression to Dodge is a bit of a stretch. More than any other automobile company, Dodge is extraordinarily responsive the The Viper Nation and has been for over a decade.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So buy a used one. There might be owners that, due to these economic conditions, would sell for less than in better times. You'd have the balance of the warranty (don't think that is at risk) also. When the new ones come out, sell your "used" one when economy recovers... or if it doesn't, and Dodge disappears, you have an instant classic. Win-win-win? Lemons.... lemonade?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with City but, I don't think Dodge even knows. The Viper plant is either going to close or sell. It's as simple as that. I heard there are three lookers. I hope for the best as this plays out.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have given thought to replacing the Copperhead with a new SRT vert. The 08s are very smooth and powerful (and I like stripes, maybe even an aero kit). I just don't know if my time is running out or there will be more to chose from???

67PLY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you make of this reply by the GrailKeeper from last weeks SRT Chat session, regarding future developments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Ride
It seems to me that Dodge and/or SRT have stayed out of the Viper "aftermarket" until recently. It seems as if most of the parts development has been left to aftermarket suppliers quite unlike Ford Racing, GM Performance, and other Mopar vehicles. I would like to go to my Dodge dealer and have a "one stop shop" for my performance needs. Why has there not been much support for Gen I/II as far as aftermarket/performance parts? Will that change in the future?

Let's talk about the future first.....as a new company we will finally be able to devote the right kind of resources to be able to help out on aftermarket kits/parts for the early cars. The new company when it is born realizes that this is desired by the nation. Historically, Chrysler has always had resource issues trying to find the time and money to properly develop lots of Viper aftermarket parts. The SRT guys have always wanted to work on aftermarket parts but the odds have always been against them...GK

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, is CAAP not opening on Monday, March 30??? Has someone heard a new date, or are we still waiting to see? This is really getting frustrating!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge is losing credibility with me and I am sure others...

Dodge is losing credibility with me and I am sure others, since they just can’t seem to tell us…The Viper Nation…the future of the car we love. I’m tired of hearing CAAP dates that keep changing, due to rumors. Dodge is going to lose not just my Viper purchases, but all other purchases (I think I will be buying European from now on). I just don't feel I can trust a company that won't tell its most loyal group the truth.

The auto industry is in termoil, and Chrysler is in worse shape than industry peers.

They told Viper Nation they were selling Viper in September.

Their fighting for suvival and told you their selling the viper line.

The new buyer will tell you the future.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
CAAP is indeed opening Monday, employees have been told to report. "People" from the team are at the new paint facility to ensure a flow of parts.

CarDude, let me remind you in hopes of calming:

The announced "sale offering" at VOI-10 was just prior to the most hectic part of the collapse of the US Economy. All the best intentions were sidelined - re-directed, and MANY things happened in the automotive world to change the value of the product being sold, and the players wanting it.

All of these are beyond Dodge-Chrysler-Cerberus' control! Many here have more than a passing relationship with the Fellow at the helm. Remember this: He was a key element of making the Viper happen in K-Car era of 1988-1992. He's still as passionate about making HIS progeny live on, and he has ZERO motive to do anything to breach the trust that Cerberus / Chrysler and any new buyer has placed in his WORD.

Even if we could get him to drink a half-bottle of Jack Daniels we could not likely lather him up enuf to spill any meaningful info on any pending sale. Our "curiousity" is just that, and only that.

Remember: Our PASSION for the Viper is most likley a selling point recognized by the buyer. Cdude, if you swear-off Viper now 'cause your curiousity is not sated, then either your passion is not as deep as some, or YOU'LL BE BACK when the chips have fallen and the end result is known.

I dont think we will be waiting much longer........ please hang in there, keep the faith, stay tuned, and any other team-cliche' you can muster!

Last edited:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seriously, this is not a choice that they are making. I applaud them for being pragmatic right now. Other than the Viper, I can't think of a single product that Chrysler produces that is best in class. The whole company needs to be retooled and the process will be painful.

vipernut94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Jon B. I just got off the phone with John Gastman (Roanoke Motors), and he basically said the same thing that you did. I can't wait to get my ACR!!!

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am behind Chrysler 100%. they are doing the best they can in there terribly economic times. My daughter just bough a new Sebring at such a great price, we couldn't pass it up. Also has the Lifetime Powertrian Warranty, how can you go wrong. Someone will be around to take care of it, I am sure. Things seem to have bottomed out and some good news is being reported in certain segments of the economy so the Chicken Littles can now Shut Up. Positive thinking we bring positive results! Chrysler will live on, just give them time as with all the American Auto Makers, at least as a nation, we better hope so. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
C

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to know if the Viper is finished. Then mentally I will know that the car is not going to get any better from the factory. I am not saying I will be giving up my current cars. I just want to know; will I have be to Audi man, Ferrari dude, or Porsche guy...even though I am CarDude.

We all know "all good things must come to an end".

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to know if the Viper is finished. Then mentally I will know that the car is not going to get any better from the factory. I am not saying I will be giving up my current cars. I just want to know; will I have be to Audi man, Ferrari dude, or Porsche guy...even though I am CarDude.

Oh please don't become one of those Ferrari guys... ;)

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have supported the Viper, Dodge and Chrysler in good times and they too have supported us in return. Friends can not abandon friends in tough times. It is up to us to stand strong and support them, including our local dealers where and when we can. "When things get tough, the tough get going". Things are slow for me too; however, I have placed another order for a Viper in hopes of the best. We are Americans and will stand together, through the good times and bad. Loyality is imperative, especially now. I wish Chyrsler, GM and Ford the very best. We will get through this. As you, I am proud of being a members of the VCA and now, more then ever, we need to be an example for all to follow.
God Bless America!!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think you should still be cardude. If the viper is stopped, that is no reason to jump ship. The Viper is the only car I have ever really been passoniate about and will continue to be passoniate about. There is something about this car that cannot be replaced. It has a mystique about it that no other car can touch. I can understand wanting to prepare yourself mentally but again, it's no reason to jump ship. I hope the Viper lives on. I hope it lives on as a MOPAR, but if it dosent then I will love to see what a new owner can bring to the table. As GK. had mentioned....IF Viper becomes it's own company, the possibilitys could be endless. Just imagine being able to get replacement parts for your Gen I Gen II viper without much delay. I know I would love that. All i'm saying (as did Jon B.) is don't lose the faith. :)

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrysler lost me years ago. i wont likely buy another NEW mopar again...sad but true.

and not for nothing, id buy a car off a lot or slightly used anyways, the savings is just silly now. why waste the money ?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude;

The best Viper made is a very subjective thing. I love my 06 Coupe, but just because the latest offering has the most power and latest technology does that mean it is the best? I believe your reference point will boil down to collectibility. Yes you drive your cars (not all at once), but if you wanted the best of best of the best, there are other cars better than the Viper. Before everyone jumps on me, be realists, there just are others.

Some feel the ole 92's of which there is only one introduction car group of 500 and all the hand built parts on that car made it the best. Some feel the 96 GTSs are the best, others feel the 98' GT2 cars, etc. etc. etc.

Unless your love for the Viper runs deep and you just accept the car for what it is, you will never be happy. Be greatful you have three Vipers. Others are losing their Vipers. You Vipers are all special and will hold their values in time and might even appreciate in 25 years, but it makes no sense why you would have to downplay all of the Vipers you have just becuase they may stop making them? They are what they are and if they don't put a smile on your face now and going forth, after buying three, not sure what will.

Personally, I still feel the Viper as we all now it and desire, has run it's course. New owner or not, it won't be the same type of car going forth in the next generation. Unfortunately that is not chicken little, it is just what is going to happen. Trying to be a realist.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am personally thankful that there was ever a Viper at all especially now where hybrid vehicles are driving alongside us. Ever since I got mine 4 years ago there have been rumors about killing the Viper and that never bothered me once. Cardude, if you ever had any other old obsolete cars lying around like a late 60's Shelby Cobra 427 or a Plymouth Hemicuda in sublime green, I'll take it off your hands and even pay you back the original sticker price so you never lose a dime.;)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for VCA Notes to show up in your mailboxes in the not-too-distant future. While there may not be any revelation per se, I think you will appreciate the commentary from Herb Helbig on this very subject. I think I can safely say both that the VCA is very involved in the process and that we are very excited as well.

Viper dead? Not even close. :2tu:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look for VCA Notes to show up in your mailboxes in the not-too-distant future. While there may not be any revelation per se, I think you will appreciate the commentary from Herb Helbig on this very subject. I think I can safely say both that the VCA is very involved in the process and that we are very excited as well.

Viper dead? Not even close. :2tu:

Let me repeat/modify a previous offer, if there is a way that I can pay something extra in addition to my Associate Membership dues to make things happen let me know! Not being an owner sure as heck does not keep me from supporting the club and in this case Viper itself!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am personally thankful that there was ever a Viper at all especially now where hybrid vehicles are driving alongside us. Ever since I got mine 4 years ago there have been rumors about killing the Viper and that never bothered me once. Cardude, if you ever had any other old obsolete cars lying around like a late 60's Shelby Cobra 427 or a Plymouth Hemicuda in sublime green, I'll take it off your hands and even pay you back the original sticker price so you never lose a dime.;)

Buy my GREEN GO (with Black stripes and scoops) 71 340 4speed Demon. I've invested well over $12000 (including a new 450hp small block) and have 95% of all parts to complete the project. Yours for only $9,000 Cdn.

My wife and I bought a new '08 RAM 1500 last Friday night. Yah, it's got a HEMI, and 20"s, and Blue tooth, and nearly everything else. For another 80% more money we could have bought a Toyota - but the Toyota has less hp and won't tow as well as a Dodge. The Hemi will respond to Cold Air Intake, exhaust and tune to put out well over 400hp, while the Toyota has to be supercharged for 312hp? Toyota = overpriced JUNK. Pay double the money and get less power, less torque and tought to modify? JUNK.

I wanted an SRT8 Jeep, but they're all sold. I also got $1,000 off because I bought my Viper last year. Brand loyalty pays. All hp, powerful Dodges are sold before they get to the lots? All I could find was 1 Challenger SRT8 at the Dealer where we bought the RAM. I guess carguy could buy a Toyota for $50,000Cdn and then bust the warranty, take it to a tuner and replace the supercharger with a bigger one, injectors, ECU, exhaust etc. etc. and about $70,000 may even get close to 400hp?

Maybe buy a Nissan pickup - oh they don't make a powerful V8 - do they make a 430 V8, like Dodge? NO

I saw a SL655AMG that I liked. It was only $80,000 (2 years old), but then all the stock 08 and 09 Viper's would be spanking me? NO.

I'm looking to buy an SRT10, Jeep SRT8, Challenger SRT8 or another older Viper - but my wife said that I have to trade my 440 Duster if I buy another car, :(. Guess 22 Dodges is enough? I've only got 6 garage spaces.

Yah, Dodge. The only problem I have with Dodge is Daimler cancelled my warranty when I bought my Viper in the states! Of course I understand that BMW and Porsche also do that.

If Dodge goes under it'll be after GM, FORD and any company building the fastest cars in the world go bankrupt. Dodge builds the fastest cars in the world. Hurst Hemi 'Cudas and Darts, old Hemi charger, SRT10 pickup, Viper, Daytona IROC R/T, ACR.

If you're after the fastest and most relaible then it's Dodge as your #1 choice.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You don't sound very loyal to me, euro boy wonder.

Too true. I did go to a psychic while I was in Florida. She told me that 'life will be tough for awhile". I could have asked for Chrysler's future while I was getting mine done I guess? LOL. $40 that cost me and I shared it for free!!!

Anyone want to buy my 440Duster now? LOL.

Ted

HOLLYWOOD1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I got jacked around also as I bought a 06 us car, got it certified in Canada, had a turn signal problem took it into the Calgary dealer and presto, no warranty because this was a US car. So I took the car to Vegas for the winter as I have a house there, took the car to the US dealer and presto, no warranty because its a CDN car. Wonderful, no warranty anywhere. Chrysler just used this as an excuse to escape from their obligation and no one wants to be accountable. I guess my 80K is not good enough for Chrysler as all profits roll up to the parent anyway but for a $150 turn signal, they can rot....Great product but brutal customer service. Here is a anchor for you guys....see ya......

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I got jacked around also as I bought a 06 us car, got it certified in Canada, had a turn signal problem took it into the Calgary dealer and presto, no warranty because this was a US car. So I took the car to Vegas for the winter as I have a house there, took the car to the US dealer and presto, no warranty because its a CDN car. Wonderful, no warranty anywhere. Chrysler just used this as an excuse to escape from their obligation and no one wants to be accountable. I guess my 80K is not good enough for Chrysler as all profits roll up to the parent anyway but for a $150 turn signal, they can rot....Great product but brutal customer service. Here is a anchor for you guys....see ya......

I feel for yah. On my way home from Ohio when I bought my Viper the door speaker wire busted and left channel quit. My odometer reads 10% different than my trip meter. All legitimate warranty claims that should have been previous owner fixes, but I bought it and Daimler cancelled it - too bad, so sad. I yelled and complained, asked top VCA execs for help - still too bad. Unfair, just like BMW and Porsche.

I was PISSED for more than a year. Really minor problems that reflect badly on Chrysler from a dumb corporation financial RETARD. At least they didn't short the SRT engineers financially! After another 22,000 miles on my Viper spanking everything warranty no longer concerns me. The car has been super reliable and if Chrysler wants to lose a couple customers so that they don't have to replace my speedo - oh well. They lost a lot more than what it cost me. I diagnosed and soldered the broken wire (between the door and pillar) in about an hour. Same speedo in the car still.

If I buy a newer Chrysler in the US, I'll purchase a warranty from an Independant company here in canada for about the same money so no big deal. I thought about having to modify a newer Z06, had shivers and no longer care about the warranty.

I wish Chrysler would have given me the phone number to a company that sells warraties instead of just informing me that the one with the car was cancelled. Guess that's what happens when finances and Execs dome from Daimler or Cerebus? No pride because they personally didn't built or design the product? Cerebus attitude is to save a few hundred dollars in warranties for a lousy excuse instead of jsut being polite and suggesting purchasing your own Canadian warranty? LOL, and they're supposed to be "big brains" worthy of millions in wages? I think I should have their job! Obviously I'm better at it and a loyal Dodge guy.

Hollywood1 - call your local Dodge dealer and ask for a private warranty! Your car is an 06. Mine's an '01 and it's reliable so I don't need any warranty.

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang