Dodge out of oil?

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So I went into the dodge dealership today to make an appointment to have my 08 Viper serviced. I also wanted to pick up a quart of oil bc she was running a little low and I wanted to top her off until they could get to her. But they tell me we no longer carry 0W-40. I was like can you get some in. They said no dodge is no longer carrying it, but that I should still use 0W-40 for the Viper, but all we have is 5W-40. I said so I pr
epurchased my oil changes from ya'll and now I have to supply the oil too. Anyway my question to you guys is should I allow them to put 5W-40 in? I tried doing a thread search but did't see anything. Thanks in advance.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dodge has a contract with Pennzoil now , but many Dealers still carry the 0-40w Mobil 1 . We do and frankly just pop into O'Reilly's or Napa and get a bottle. Frankly I would just take in 11 quarts to your Dealer next time you need a change and ask them to use the Mobil 1. Blanket statements like this one are why consumers question Dealers. That no Dodge Dealers are carrying Mobil 1 is ridiculous. Many are , but the contract with Pennzoil means they will have easier access to this brand.

Hang in there, I just put 11 qts in my ACR , and hmmmm, we had it in stock, ha,ha.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. I am still frustrated that I prebought my oil changes from dodge and now I will have to supply my own oil on top of that? I hope that when I go in Tuesday to talk to the vipertech and the general manager that we have a better conversation.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge got a contract with Pennzoil now , but many Dealers still carry the 0-40w Mobil 1 . We do and frankly just pop into O'Reilly's of Napa and get a bottle. Frankly I would just take in 11 quarts to your Dealer next time you need a change and ask them to used the Mobil 1. Blanket statements like that are why consumers question Dealers. No Dodge Dealers are carrying it is ridiculous. Many are , but the contract with Pennzoil means it will have easier access.

Hang in there, I just put 11 qts in my ACR , and hmmmm, we had it in stock, ha,ha.

Bill,

What's your preference for the filter - Mopar or Mobil 1?

Thanks

OP
OP
V

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Bill.
Well, I prefer mopar. I have read about the Mobil 1 filter opinions on this website. The reason I prebought my oil changes was bc dodge wanted over 150 bucks a POP to change oil. But if I prebought them, which I did for 7 years, it came out to about 52 dollars per change. The number 7 came from the fact that I bought the extended warranty for that long. As an ACR man, I am sure you have a filter preference. What is your suggestion for the filter as well as my debacle, lol

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always brought oil to my Viper tech. The manager gives me a hard time asking if I bring eggs and bacon to Denny's.

My Viper tech also works on my GTs. There is an expensive 2 hour change with 5/50 oil and $39 filters!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They will have to use the MoPar Viper specific filter and that is a good deal. If it is prepaid, you will likely have to go with the oil they have in stock. The funny thing is there are provisions in the contract about number of quarts , synthetics , etc. so you may just want to wing it and let them do it for the cost they stated -- they will be losing their shirt. The program does not pay for the full amount of a Viper fill , so roll with the punches. I am not a big fan of Pennzoil, but likely not worth buying your own Mobil 1 to replace it with --- it is a synthetic and likely no reason for you or I to get our biases in the way.

Dodge has the contract , so they will obviously back any issues,

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Pennzoil, Quaker State and Kendal oils were very high in paraffin which draws moisture.....this is going back quite a few years and may not be true anymore.....I for one will not take a chance, caused way to many problems back in my performance boat days

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The reason I prebought my oil changes was bc dodge wanted over 150 bucks a POP to change oil. But if I prebought them, which I did for 7 years, it came out to about 52 dollars per change.

The $150 a pop for oil changes is what probably scared you but the fact of the matter is Mobile 1 0W-40 can be puchased for around $6.50 (even less if you happen to catch a sale) per quart plus the Viper oil filer at $10. I as well as many others simply purchase the oil and filter then pay someone else to do the actual labor or we do it ourselves as changing the oil in this vehicle is no different than any other vehicle. I personally am not a fan of pre-paying for anything, especially for things (like oil chages) that extend out to seven years (unless your car is driven pretty regularly and you're piling up the miles). So called "deals" like this tend to benefit the seller and not the buyer in the long run (hence, the reason for them having such a program).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang