Dodge "own us" a lifetime warranty on yellowing sills

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge \"own us\" a lifetime warranty on yellowing sills

Dodge know of this VERY common problem on Vipers but can't/don't want to solve this problem for good and only offer a band-aid solution to it by replacing/repainting the sills and we know from owners experience that it only last for few thousands miles before having to do it all over again.

What happen after the factory warranty expire (3 years)?

Of course we have to paid it from our own pockets for a problem that is NOT NORMAL and where Dodge responsability is clear.

In California a Manufacturer Warranty,on a specific part is, by law, extended by the amount of time/mileage that this part was defective.

In another word,if your engine was for example using more oil than the manufacturer allow for a period of 6 months or 6000 miles before they could fix the problem, and that you reported and the dealer verified this fact,this 6 months/6000 miles will be added to the warranty on the engine.

How do that apply to the yellowing sills?

Let's say that on 01/01/01 you went to your dealer and you showed him the sills and a WRITEN repair order or anything in writting is done but, the sills are not fixed until 06/01/01,or 6 months later,in this case the warranty on the sills will be 3years AND 6 months, not 3 years only.

Also under "Lemon Law" if a manufacturer cannot fix the same problem after 3 times, you have the right to have them buying it back.

So, if we all get together and in WRITING explain the problem/situation to Dodge and ask them to give us a lifetime warranty on yellowing sills, I think that we have a good argument.

What do you think?
Luc.00GTS black/silver/YELLOW

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Dodge \"own us\" a lifetime warranty on yellowing sills

I would hate to start a fight with the company that brought the enjoyment of a Viper into my life. My car is red and the sills are changing color (I think), but I kind of feel like "Hey, I bought a car that is really out there on the design and performance edge - it ain't gonna be perfect".

Has anyone investigated fixes? As in wrapping the exhaust from the sills with heat tape? or venting? There has to be a solution that doesn't include painting every few years...

Painting is a short term fix unless the "new" paint is more heat tolerant.

Understand the frustration... I bet there is a non paint solution though.

Jeff

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by luc:

Dodge "own us".......
Dodge know of this.......
and only offer... .
What happen after...
factory warranty expire?
we have to paid it...
where Dodge responsability is clear.........
In California a Manufacturer Warranty........
In another word,.........
using more oil than the manufacturer allow ......
.....anything in writting is done.......
you have the right to have them buying it back.

So, if we all get together and in WRITTING....

What do you think?
Luc.00GTS black/silver/YELLOW
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What I think is that, if you do this, sumebuddy else shud doo the writting !!

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tank yu Jonb,yu ar rite.
Luc.

Reaction score

Yah, and you might wnana mention the "dangling throttle" thing two!
laugh.gif

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if your gonna ***** about the side sills...what else are you going to ***** about after you take delivery of your car. most of us would not trade our vipers in for anything....well except for maybe another viper....quit ******** before you get your viper....enjoy your viper, drive your viper, live for your viper......

OP
OP
L

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"..After you take delivery of your car... quit ******** before you get your Viper"????????????????????

Luc.00GTS

Charlie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Jon.. My laugh of the day.. Since there IS a spell checker on the site I wondered when someone wuz going to bring the spelling issue up.
smile.gif

I needed a good chuckle and thanks to you I can say I've had one before I hit the sack.
BURNOUT.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Despite the typos, and the ribbing that luc took....he brings up some good points.

Let's face it, they are hand-built, and of very limited production. And frankly, for the performance you get, they are a bargain. I think we all love our Vipers, and at the same time, recognize their shortcomings.

In my opinion, the side sill yellowing issue is one that DCX should make good on, without exception or hesitation. Especially when it is a known issue. A owner should not be afraid to keep his or her car past the warranty point.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I totally agree!!! For a car which is not a neon it should not have this type of reoccuring problem. Now if this was econo box okay problems happen but this is a high performance $80k machine

I would think to keep the customer base (the VCA) happy and keep us buying that they would WANT to make good on a problem.
Right? does it just make sense??

Luc, did DC give you a hard time on the new sills? they should give you 3/36 on the new sills from date of install to be fair; seeing that they know this is an issue.
Right now i have a yellow car so hopefully i will never notice
laugh.gif

but if i do have an issue i really hope they take ownership of the problem!!!
Luc great points.. need spellcheek
laugh.gif