Does anyone care where our tires are made?

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This isn't intended to be a flame thread against any tire manufacturer. I've done a search and there aren't any topics about tires and country of origin that I can find. I can tell you I have been nothing but 100% satisfied with my Michelin tires for street and track use in relevant classes from a performance perspective, but is anyone not buying Michelin's because of their French ownership or considering other brands for this reason?

I emailed the only Michelin representative that I have ever met about 3 weeks ago and he has not yet responded to my inquiry. Without going into great detail I stated that I do not believe companies should be "punished" by consumers for their home countries political views.

Without knowing what, if any, political position Michelin has taken I inquired if as a company they might be willing to make a substantial donation of tires appropriate for coalition military vehicle use to those forces active in the current military actions in the middle east.

I know I would really feel good about buying another set of my favorite Michelin Street Pilots or getting a hold of my first set of Michelin Cup tires if they supported the coalition forces with such a donation even though the French Governments views differ substantially from my own.

I would think that from a marketing perspective the product cost of say a million dollars US of product would be minimal compared to the (presumed) overwhelming positive worldwide press that they would receive.

Maybe I'm being short sighted or missing something. What are your views? Is this even relevant to our Viper ownership experience?

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had no idea the Frogs were involved with my tires. makes me want to puke and i will definitely start looking for other tires today. shame too cause this set has only 800 miles on it.

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin=Frog!!
But your tires are probably made in a US plant. Every tire has a code in the serial # that specifies country of production.

MULE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of this. Thank you. I have been debating on what type of track/street tires to purchase (see my thread 'track tires"). I guess it will be Khumos, or maybe BF Goodrich, Firestone? What are the name brands that are US owned manufacturers?

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BFG is owned by Michelin, So if you have an issue with the Frogs. That's where the BFG profits go.
Khumo is Korean.
Firestone is owned by Bridgestone= Japan. They don't have any tire for the track. Bridgestone has some decent HP tires.
Goodyear, Mickey Thompson and Hoosier are the only All Americans.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This weekend I gave PaceCar rides to 12 political and financial hacks looking to build a new racetrack in WA. One of them mentioned the "French Connection" of my tires. I told the group we would be making a French tire statement as we gave the first ride......

You guessed it: BURRRRRNNNNNOOOOOOUUUUUUUT ! Take THAT, Frenchie.

WARNING.......Political monologue follows:

Michelin does manufacture tires in USA and employs a lot of Americans. And I dislike hurting innocent American arms of France in a laudable but misdirected (?) demonstration in favor of our own Government and Military. Distinctly French products like wine and cheese and tourism ? No problem boycotting those.

There are ~~56,000 (Young) Americans from 2 wars buried on French soil. Their blood should have been their perpetual endowment to French freedom. But WE pay millions annually to maintain their (beautiful) graves. Been there. Cried there. You can't help it. Then, the French bungled Viet-Nam and got the US involved there. We brought our dead home. NATO = No Action Today, Oui ?

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I FOR ONE WILL NOT BUT ANOTHER FRENCH PRODUCT PERIOD....
IF YOU WANT TO TELL SOMEONE YOU DONT LIKE THEM IN ANY WAY YOU HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS..... IN THE WALLET$$$$$....
I got a email from a fellow american that listed 40 products inwhich the company is based in FROG country...
BTW i am 1/4 french Canadian but 100% AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!

FLYIN RYAN

STAND STRONG AMERICA

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NFW for a NY second would I ever think about buying Michelins for my prized American possession. France and the French can go pound sand where the sun don't shine.

I say support those that have stood by us - in this case the Italians, so I'll be shopping for a set of Pirellis.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not too worried about it, Michelin Pilot Sports perform well and protect me on a daily basis, so I'll stick with them - if you want to boycott, you get to decide to what extent you are willing to do so - as JonB noted, there are plenty of other products to concern yourself with that are "luxury" items.

YellowSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to: http://www.boycottfrenchproducts.org/

The following is a list of French products you'll want to avoid. You don't need to throw away what you have, simply choose a competing American (or British, Australian or Spanish!) product when it's time to purchase again.

Accor Dom Perignon MCA Records Veritas Group
Air France Durand Glass Méphisto Vivendi Universal
Alcatel Elle Magazine Michelin Tires Wild Turkey Bourbon
Americare Systems Inc. Estee Lauder Moet Wolverine siding
Archos.com Equant Motel 6 Work/Life Benefits
Astralloy Steel Evian Mumms Yves Saint Laurent
ATOS Origin, Inc. Faconnable (clothing) Nida-Core
AXA Advisors Ferraz Shawmut Nissan - 44% owned by Renault
Beneteau Boats Fina Oil Novotel Hotels
B.F. Goodrich -owned by Michelin Four J's Development Tools Ondeo Nalco
BIC Georgio Armani Peugeot Cars & Bicycles
Biotherm Givenchy Pierre Cardin
Bollinger Grand Marnier Ralph Lauren Perfume
Brylane Home Graphique de France cards RCA Thompson
Brylane Kitchen Great Bear Water Red Roof Inns (see below)
Business Objects Software Havas Advertising Redken
Calistoga Water Helena Rubenstein Remy Martin Cognac
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Hennessy Renault
Car & Driver Jessica London Roamans
Cartier jewelery JOB rolling papers Roc beauty products
Cerexagri Kaukana Club Cheese Rolling Stone Magazine
CertainTeed Corp King Size Rossignol Skis, boots
Chadwick's of Boston Lancome Sabatier kitchen knives
Chambord Preserves Lane Bryant Catalog Salomon Skis
Champagne (all brands) La Redoute Sofitel Hotels
Chanel LA Transitchek Solen
Chicago Transit Check Le Creuset SquareD Corp
Christian Dior Lerner Catalog St. Dalfour Jelly
Chivas Regal scotch L'Oreal Studio 6
Clarins Louis Vuitton T-Fal pots and pans
Club Med Maille Mustard Total Petroleum
Cognac (all brands) Marie Claire Uniroyal Tires
Cointreau Mavic bicycle components Universal Music Group
Courvoisier Cognac Maybelline Universal Studios
Dannon Yogurt
Decca Records

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ha ha ha - reading the above post like it's a list and not a 4 column table is too funny.... I'll never buy "Club Med Maille Mustard Total Petroleum" products again!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Why stop at tires?

Well guys lets remember that the Germans own Dodge (or at least "merged" with a good portion of it) and by default, being the holy patriotic folks you are, you really cannot conscienciously own a vehicle made by one of our "enemies." Therefore I have a $100 bucks here for anyone looking to clean their red white and blue hands of that desguisting crout SRT you have.

SRT = Owned by Germans, Designed by Japaniese, and made by parts from Taiwan, China and Itaily here in America.

Its really all a matter of percpective with me, if Bridgestone made a better/cheaper tire for the Viper I'd have it in a heartbeat, but alas....

Reaction score
NO!

Michelin tires are the best for the Viper so that is what I will buy. As a mater of fact Michelin is the only tire I buy for any car or trailer.

Politics I'll leave that for the politicians.

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Fred. A good friend of mine does a lot of engineering consulting work for various tire companies and his verdict is that Michelin is the absolute best street tire manufacturer when it comes to quality control and safety. He will use nothing else on his cars. Michelin may be a French company but I doubt if they make the country's political decisions.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem as I see it is that these French owned companies don't necessarily agree with thier countries political positions. If they lose marketshare anyway maybe that will affect the countries politics.

Today it comes out on Fox Networks and CNN that Billions are owed to France by IRAQ and Saddam himself that in the event of a dictatorial overthrow is not collectable unless the U.N. decides to make the new (hopefully democratic) leadership responsible for the debt.

Even though I don't like the U.N. (Unecessary Nobodies) I doubt they will make the new IRAQ pay the old dictators bills. Thus, perhaps why France was against the war?? Their own Greed? Why would a country lend Saddam money anyway?

I still think French companies can take a stand and make a statement by supporting coalition forces with their products directly. I know if I owned a French based company that did business in the US markets that we would have made a HUGE effort to support the troops ESPECIALLY because my country of origin wimped out.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bah, the only person losing out in this deal is the person without michelin tires. They are in a business to make tires, not cater to any specific political point of view for OR against the war, what the wussy french gov't thinks or does.

Not to be a smartass but a couple viper owenrs not buying a couple sets of tires isn't going to do much, they'll still sell millions of them around the world while someone drives around on an inferior tire and pretends to like it.

Heck if you're going to be that anal about it, canada isn't supporting the war either. So you better rip your dashboard out and replace it with one that was made in the USA. Have a Chevy or GMC truck? Better throw it off a cliff, how about a dodge caravan? The list goes on and on.

If you want to really hurt france, don't travel there, that's really the only way the country is going to see a huge hit. Michelin has a company setup in the US and all products you buy are taxed in the US which supports your economy anyway.

Nobody can help it, that's the way globalization goes, and frankly I think there are more important things to worry about than what kind of tire a Viper rolls around on.

endrant.

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that was asked..."Does anyone care where our tires are made"?

My answer. No. (kinda simple, huh?)

Does anyone care where the rubber comes from?

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being a dual national (French/American),I may be have a different view on the subject.
In general,I don't have too much respect for politicians and even less for French politicians,
With very few exception they are all crooked,and only do what is good for them,and not for their country.

I have been living in California for over 20 years,was for the war and feel that france made a big mistake not being on her friend side,but name calling,insult and "feel good"
boycotting of some french products is not the way to solve probems between friends.

If you feel so strongly about not buying french products,be honest about it and do it all the way.
So even if I think that jonB story was funny,he should know,that he made his "french tire statement" with a French made tranny.
(If I'm not mistaking,the T56 is manufactured in Tulle,France)
So,are you guys,selling your SRT or not buying one?

Luc.
00GTS
03 SRT

PS: I don't know what people have against "frogs" they are very good to eat.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought the Tremec T56 was made in Mexico. Not absolutely certain though.

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tremectransmissions.com and ttcautomotive.com are both registered out of Farmington Hills MI. and have the option to view the site in Spanish. From a GM press release:

"The six Mexican enterprises awarded were TREMEC, San Luis Rassini (for the fifth consecutive year), Nemak, Gates Rubber from Mexico, Etal and Air Temp."

Not French. You may all keep your transmissions.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to be a smartass but a couple viper owenrs not buying a couple sets of tires isn't going to do much, .....

It only matters to got guy I have to face when I look in the mirror, and in memory of my Father who fought the Nazis and helped to liberate those ungrateful, sniveling little ******** the French. So yes, it does quite a lot for me!

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've known that Michelin was a French company for many years. But, as soon as they decided not to support us in our war against Iraq I immediately drove the Viper out of the garage and literally smoked the tires right down to the rims. Have it all on video, I'll try to post it. It had a lot of good tread left before I smoked em too. Then I mounted the front tires on the rear and smoked them off too. Gonna try and sell the video on E-bay. Later. :cool:

OP
OP
N

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE.

I received a response from Michelin today from my email several weeks ago. This is the email I sent:

Subject: Michelin Products
Author: [email protected]
Date: 03/27/2003 9:47 AM

Brian,

We've spoken several times at Viper Days events. As you know I am a real Michelin product supporter.

I'm emailing you today because I am concerned with the number of emails and comments being made about "boycotting" French companies.

I'm sure you've already heard a lot about it so I won't belabor the point. Simply put, private and public companies should not be punished for their countries political positions. While I don't agree with any of France's positions in reference to the war with Iraq I don't think boycotting French products is the answer.

My question is very simple. Is it possible to arrange for Michelin to donate a large number of tires to the US Military forces to show their support?

This would have a profound impact on how the majority of Americans view the Michelin brand and would garner millions and millions of dollars of free marketing throughout the news media.

Please copy me on any forwards of this suggestion.

Regards,

Jeff Snell
CEO/Systech Systems & Services
www.systechsystems.com <http://www.systechsystems.com/> 919.719.2000 x111

This is the response. It is copied in it's entirety here:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your e-mail of 3/27/03 and for sharing your information and your request. We understand your viewpoint but would greatly appreciate the opportunity to present additional facts on this issue for your consideration.

A boycott of Michelin products in the United States would not be a boycott of French products. It would be a boycott against American products, made in 17 U.S. factories, located in 7 states. By rejecting the Michelin brand and BFGoodrich Tires consumers would not only deny themselves products that have won their respect and patronage, but American workers would also be hurt. Michelin North America, Inc., an American company with its corporate charter issued by New York State, employs some 20,000 people in the United States.

A boycott against Michelin in the US will have no impact on the French government since the vast majority of the tires made here stay here in the US and relatively few Michelin tires from France are imported to the US.

Michelin North America is an integral part of communities across the United States. Our employees are the leaders in giving to the United Way, Special Olympics and the American Cancer Society, just to name a few of the charities Michelin supports. Thousands of Michelin employees volunteer across the country in local school enrichment programs, Meals on Wheels and other vital non-profit services.

Perhaps you should know that when terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, the Michelin Group responded the next day by donating $1 million to provide aid to the families of the victims. Michelin North America also provided a quarter million dollars in tires and services to rebuilding efforts in New York City and Washington, D.C.

As a supplier, Michelin North America has among its customers the U.S. armed forces and the armed forces of other NATO countries. The U.S. armed forces are well aware of the quality tire products we have provided and continue to provide. Here at home, we recently extended the benefits of those Michelin employees who have been called to active duty in the Iraq crisis. We will continue to do so throughout the current military conflict.

Thanks you for giving us the opportunity to address your concerns, and the concerns of your fellow Viper Club members.

Sincerely,

Kondria Woods
Michelin North America
Greenville, S.C.

This was my response:

Kondria,

Thanks for your reply. So far as my research can tell Michelin is based in Clermont-Ferrand, France. It appears that you manufacturer product in approximately 70 countries and 40% of your total worldwide sales within North America. This looks to be about $6.4 billion annually.

Michelin is a French owned, French managed, French based company that does business in many countries. Employees and infrastructure are procured in those countries to facilitate the manufacturing, distribution, sales/marketing of Michelin and Michelin branded products. This does not make them independent companies. Many US companies have offices and operations outside of the United States - They are still US companies. Michelin North America profits are ultimately controlled by the French owned, French managed, French based company in France.

While I certainly appreciate past gestures Michelin has made during past North American crisis's, the fact remains that France has taken a clearly anti-American position as it relates to our efforts to rid the world of a heinous dictator who threatens not only our own national security, but that of many other countries worldwide. As a country, France is disgracing the men and women who fought for their own freedoms now and in wars past.

It is reasonable for Americans to deplore such actions by a country. It is shameful. Many feel that because of the French Governments actions that a "scorched earth" mentality towards everything French is in order. (Meaning if it has anything to do with France it should be boycotted - thus "Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast")

As my initial email indicates I do NOT agree with that mentality, but I do feel that French companies, such as Michelin, have a unique opportunity to rise above the political failures of France and show support for coalition forces.

The intent of my email was not to elicit a defensive "We are not a French company" type response, but to highlight the marketing opportunity that Michelin has now that is rarely presented. This is an opportunity to promote your products and brands to the US Market while also doing what most would feel was just, patriotic, and "American" by supporting those who are protecting our freedoms.

A boycott or ban is not and has not been suggested by me to anyone. I DO NOT SUPPORT A BAN OF MICHELIN PRODUCTS. I realize that some American employees of French based companies might suffer should public opinion towards their employers be damaged and their purchasing decisions shift to American based producers. This may prove to be an unfortunate after effect, but it is not justification to continue purchasing products from other French based companies that funnel profits back to France where their Government is against the United States.

I continue to use and purchase Michelin products with pride. I feel that they are technologically superior and as a company have more support at the consumer level than any other brand. MICHELIN is #1 in product quality in my opinion. I simply want to reiterate that the perception of antiFrance=antiMichelin exists and can not only be neutralized, but turned into an incredible positive by a simple demonstration of support for coalition forces.

Thank you for your time,

Jeff Snell
CEO/Systech Systems & Services
www.systechsystems.com
919.719.2000 x111

I think we are all grateful for Michelin's products and support of the Viper community - I know I am.

Anyone reading this thread should consider all that Michelin has (and continues to do) for us. As I stated in the first line of the first post THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A FLAME THREAD AGAINST TIRE MANUFACTURER.

How about a few posts about what Michelin has done for you and then (seprately in off topic) how you might feel about the French Government!

Thanks, Amen, Halleluiah, Holy Cow, okay hombre, let's go to the track.

Jeff