Does anyone make a driveshaft loop for our cars , or are they unnecessary? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep thinking of mods for my 2001 GTS that I have used on other "muscle cars" in the past ... only to realize that most of that stuff is already SO beefy on this car that its not necessary to upgrade.

Does anyone make a driveshaft loop for our cars? If so , please link me.

If its not necessary , explain whats so beefy on our cars ... do we have ******** u-joints or something? Do you ever hear of failures?

I just think of planting all this hp/tq on some WIDE tires, and I then think of how crappy it would be to break something in the driveshaft on the launch and damage a bunch of underbody stuff.

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most people put loops around the half-shafts as that is what breaks most often. Unitrax sells half-shaft loops. I bought a set. Great product and easy to install.

You already have a metal belly pan under the driveshaft which may provide some protection if the driveshaft snaps.

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the the Gen I and II cars, but the belly pan on my Gen III covers up the driveshaft and would prevent it from going crazy under the car and possibly digging straight into the pavement, unlike past muscle cars I've had that required a driveshaft loop.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search on "drive shaft loop" for the pictures and notes I posted on 5/23/11. I fabricated my own from universal driveshaft loops from Jegs for the half shafts. Found a used NASCAR drive shaft loop on ebay and fabbed up the cross brace that connects the frame sections. Hope this gives you a few ideas. OK to contact me for more information. Just tracked the car at Gingerman Raceway on Saturday. It was comforting knowing that the shafts are contained at 120+ mph!!

Last edited:

Visker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing your making some serious power! That driveshaft looks like it was chucked up in a lathe. Did you have a broken tranny mount?

Visker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Honestly, not sure what happend? Thats how I purchased the car. It has a paxton with some fueling and head upgrades, will have to get some dyno numbers when she is back on the road. Just bought a driveshaft, already have it in, need to replace transmission mount, I think trans mount gave out and started rubbing on the loop? Not much damage to the loop, steel on alum tho. As far as necessary, on a factory car I would put the money somewhere else. 2cents.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave that's why I asked if the trans mount was broken, because it sure looks like the the ring was acting like a lathe.