Does painting the front bumper lower the value?

ViperperfectionGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about painting the front bumper on my car to eliminate the normal chips, scrapes, etc. The rest of the car is perfect.

As long as the paint job is perfect, will anyone give me a hard time about painting it when I go to sell the car?

I can't imagine people caring that I was trying to improve the car, as long as I can document that it was not painted for any other reason.

Your thoughts?

Would it turn you off, if it was done correctly?

Have you done it?

Thanks

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rather have it repainted if it was done well. Every Viper either has just had the fascia repainted or needs to have the front fascia repainted. I can't seem to drive a week without scaping the bottom edge on something and my 96 GTS is much worse than my 94 RT/10 as it seems to be almost an inch lower to the ground.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if the current prices haven't hit home these things are not investnents. that's just a way for people to justify buying cars they can't afford or aren't allowed to buy. "honey it's not a $50,000 toy for me to have fun with, it's an investment in our future" lol

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do decide to paint it, I would take detailed pics of what you are trying to (cover up) and then file it with the rest of your paperwork.

Bruce

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would only paint it to sell it. However careful you drive, you received those imperfections and unless you stop driving, you'll only get them again.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+ 1 on taking pics of the before and after, but these cars are no longer exotic. Someone like me who's anal might appreciate it, when and if you sell it. Of course the key is that the work is done to perfection! Otherwise don't bother with the re-paint.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If your car is all original and extremely low miles then it would lower the value of your car a couple thou (if it was in excellent shape befpre you painted it). Factory original is a Collector car thing and proves condition from new.

Damaged parts and paint lower the value of all cars. But on a driver car perfect condition is always best. As Camfab stated, perfect is the Minimium standard for a Viper.

Ted

LPDesRoche

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is no sense in saving your car for someone else to enjoy later. Drive it, scrape it, paint it. Do whatever it is that makes you enjoy your ownership. I know too many people with nice cars that are scared to drive them. If you can't drive the thing then why own it.;)

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would paint it myself,but you will get people that will be uncomfortable with the fact that it was painted.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am thinking about painting the front bumper on my car to eliminate the normal chips, scrapes, etc. The rest of the car is perfect.

As long as the paint job is perfect, will anyone give me a hard time about painting it when I go to sell the car?

I can't imagine people caring that I was trying to improve the car, as long as I can document that it was not painted for any other reason.

Your thoughts?

Would it turn you off, if it was done correctly?

Have you done it?

Thanks

If painting it for the reasons you state and the paint job is perfect than no it won't be a problem. Drive it, enjoy it and forget about what other people think.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd paint it, and have the bodyshop sign off in the notes on the work order that it is being painted for cosmetic reasons. Not to repair an accident.

That is why many people are afraid of bumper re-paints, They cant be sure if there was a repair under the paint, and its makes them fear that the car was possibly in a collision.
There is also people on the flipside that know how to properly inspect a car and as soon as they see anypart was repainted would know to get it on a lift to see what is really going on.

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had mine done recently and when I asked the shop to follow the OEM process they thought I was crazy. I explained to them that I wanted a raised edge on my stripes and against their will they obliged.

One thing that I have noticed is that most of the "graffiti" within my car has dates very close to each other. Although I have only my car to judge by I would assume this could be used as an indication of a body panel replacement. Not a sure sign as someone could find a salvaged part with similar numbers. I did ask the body shop to keep overspray off of these during my paint work. It appears that some sort of mold release or removable film was adhered to the inside of my fascia and the writing was on top of this.

Do I think the paint work devalued my car, no as the rock pecks in the fascia prior to the re paint were an eyesore.

Chris23120

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no sense in saving your car for someone else to enjoy later. Drive it, scrape it, paint it. Do whatever it is that makes you enjoy your ownership. I know too many people with nice cars that are scared to drive them. If you can't drive the thing then why own it.;)

This from the guy who hasn't driven his Viper since APRIL!!! :D

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've repainted my nose 2x's in the last 4 yrs just because of rock chips.

I wish I would have put the 3M clearbra on it after the first time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32