Doing a stereo install this weekend, any pointers/tips?

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plan on installing my stereo this weekend, I am replacing:

Headunit with a Kenwood Receiver
Front Components with Focal Components
Amp with an Alpine Amp
Custom Box for JL 8w3v3
Hardwiring Valentine Radar

I want to put the amp into the stock amp location, heard the little Alpine amps fit the stock amp bracket, any tips on what needs to be done? Havent really taken a look at how the stock amp is connected.
What is the best way to run the power wire, from the battery or from the front of the car, is there access to the trunk from the battery?
Should I pull out the seats, I want to run new speaker wire from the amp to the front door speakers.
Door panels easy to take off?
Can I reuse the oem mount on the factory cd player on an aftermarket receiver?
Should I splice the head unit into the factory ground or find a new one?

Just any other tips?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is a lot of work as I have done all of it more than once. Not impossible but if you've never done this before you might consider allowing more than just a weekend.

I would strip the entire interior short of the carpet. Run new RCA cables to the new amp and leave the factory din cable alone. Go through the trunk to pick of amp power as the battery is right there.

The interior is tricky on some items to get out. Work carefully and you won't break any of the pieces. They can all be repaired with fiberglass if you do tho. Don't ask me how I know this.

OP
OP
K

KDR83

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don't plan on finishing, I just need to get it at least back to where it's driveable after the weekend, maybe just put in the head unit and run the wires to the back

Kraaken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got mine done yesterday. Had the guys who do it for a living and it took about 2 hours just to do speakers and head unit. Def going to be a job. I did all alpine head unit and speakers. I'm doing the amp and upgraded wires but even with the stock stuff it sounds greatt now.
Looked nice a clean too. Good luck with the project! Do you ever make it up palm beach way?
You must be registered for see images attach

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple project list except the valentine, that will take a bit of time. Rest is easy. Same thing, run all new wires. I ran rca wires through the middle on the side of the tunnel and speaker wire on the opposite side of the seat.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes simple, but if you've never stripped the interior out of your Gen 2 Viper I suggest not being in a hurry. Hard wiring the V1 is on that note no different than the rest except I had to remove the headliner to get the wires properly up there combined with my TPMS readout next to it. Too many wires to stuff in the crack. The V1 alone you can probably stuff but if not you'll have to pull the headliner down. Since it's the first thing in, it's the last part out.