Doing Some Work To My Garage Walls-Suggestions?

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up one of these on ebay for $15. I was disappointed when it arrived because the fabric was so thin. I am really very happy with it now though after hanging it...

New sign DODGE VIPER LOGO GTS banner flag 3x5ft : eBay Motors (item 250595291783 end time Apr-10-10 16:08:35 PDT)

You must be registered for see images

Same here I bought the same Flag. Came in 2 weeks. Looks great on the shop wall. I think the guys that I bought it from are now out of business...:dunno:

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to sand down that area to get it clean of paint so I can exactly locate the crack(s). Then will chop a bit to open them and then fill with waterproof caulk. Also, will run the caulk along the bottom edge in case that's another source. Once dry, will put two coats of Dryloc and see how that works.:eater:

Rather that caulking, they make a concrete epoxy. inject that instead. If you choose not to use epoxy. use GE 1 or 2 silicon. its very flexable lasts forever and you cant get it in clear or white. Its the best you can buy.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I know you said there was red on the walls, but honestly, it seems like a blur:bolt:, must be too fast even as wall paint. But, I have no problem seeing your yellow RT and the hardtop on the wall....looks like they're standing still:rolaugh:

Cabinets look cool, though will continue for now putting up adjustable wire shelves and drawers on my wife's side of the garage. Have to figure out what to do on my side.

2Snakes, I'll look into the concrete epoxy. Lots of rain today and water (again) got in from that wall. Looking closely, it looks like some is getting in where the wall meets the floor. Going to scrape as much of the old paint off as I can and see if I can find any cracks or separation. Will go to Home Depot and see if they have concrete expoxy....how does it apply, same a caulk?

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, Tony, that lighting is great...think I'll swap mine out for the ones you have. Was thinking of switching from the two bulb units I have now, to four bulb, but the unit you have seems to be more than enough lighting.

Like the cabinets, but don't think I have enough space for them. I already have one standup cabinet and one half size. They're both next to the RT and I never liked them there but haven't found a better place. In front of the RT is our second (backup) refrigerator and a large sporting goods organizer filled to the top with lacrosse stuff, roller blades, baseball gloves, soccer balls, yada, yada, yada.

I used to think we had a pretty good size garage, but after seeing many of yours, I've changed my mind.

Thanks for all the comments.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm progressing, albeit slowly. Just pulled down the old (yuk) dirty wood shelves from the front wall. Don't know how many years they've been up....but, they're down now!

You must be registered for see images attach

Need to move the stuff front in front of that wall - tool box, file cabinet - and get to work on cleaning/fixing/painting the wall. Then, will start putting up the shelf mounting pieces and start figuring out how to lay them out.

Also, its been raining for about two days now, sometimes really heavy. Here are a couple of pics to show what happens to the floor after rain. It seeps in from that bad wall on the right, also, a bit under the garage door and worse, when come back with my wife's car, the water just sits in an area where it looks like the floor settled and cracked, so its a little lower.

Water seeping from "bad" foundation wall:

Water sitting under wife's car:

Well, I'm trying...this is a good example of trying to fix up a garage that doesn't start out as new or in great condition. Floors not an easy fix....and, so on!:nono:

Thanks again for all the comments/suggestions/pictures!:2tu:

Peter

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, Tony, that lighting is great...think I'll swap mine out for the ones you have. Was thinking of switching from the two bulb units I have now, to four bulb, but the unit you have seems to be more than enough lighting.

I got the lighting at Home Depot...I have three 8' 2-bulb flourescents installed, one over each bay. The Viper bay has the brighter of the three which I think is 110 watt or something like that...they were around $39 - $59 each if my memory serves me. Relatively inexpensive. Be forewarned that these lights will call out every paint blemish on cars...sometimes I wish I never installed them ;). But they are a detailer's dream. Between the cabinets, paint, 2 part floor epoxy and light I paid less than $1,000 for everything.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good, bright lighting and fresh paint will go a long way! The rest is just not using the space for general storage... I'd start by building a shed out back for everything that's not car/workshop related. Fixing the water problem, well, I hope it doesn't extend into your house!! Obviously the fix is on the other side of the wall and will require you to dig, reseal and install a better drainage system (probably along that whole side of the structure).

It just never ends. There's always something that needs doing around the house.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks 2 Snakes, was looking at it earlier...looks like just the thing I need. Have to finish front wall on left side before starting work on that (ugly):crazy2: wall next to the RT.

Great reference!:2tu:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Here's mine after a mild floor cleaning. I'm in the middle of updating it now to welcome the "race yellow" snake to its new home. I've already done T8 lighting and a 20 year newer garage door opener. Next up is paneling, epoxy coating the floor, and shelving/work bench.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302