Don't want to touch it!

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys I need help, got my RT High-Flows in yesterday & went to the muffler shop, they did not want to attempt to take side sills off because they could not guarantee they wouldn't scratch them up. So I said take it back off the racks & I went home & looked on here how to get them off. I've got everything off but the 4 with the bumper plugs on top of the sills, went to autozone & o'reillys but neither one had that little tool(don't even know what its called) that you use to get them off with. I tried a few other things (but was very careful) because it looks like they could be very very easy
to scratch, so my question is does anybody know where I can get that little tool. Thank You!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken mine off several times, you need a VERY thin flat tool like a feeler gauge to slip under the plugs.
You'll be able to lift the cap upwards and see the two spring notches that need to be depressed simultaneously.
Once you do one it's easy.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken mine off several times, you need a VERY thin flat tool like a feeler gauge to slip under the plugs.
You'll be able to lift the cap upwards and see the two spring notches that need to be depressed simultaneously.
Once you do one it's easy.

That feeler gauge is what I saw in the pics here on the how-to, thats what I'm tryin to find might try ebay. Chad I tried it with the flat head (even put some paper under it, not much play there) & guess I'm being a bit cautious. Man, if you do scratch them I don't even know how you would fix them, I guess thats somekind of a flat black or something. After you do get them off is it just the screws like underneath. Thanks Guys

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a plastic knife thingy for cutting in when painting would work too maybe. anything thin like that.

those caps can be replaced cheap.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad I tried it with the flat head (even put some paper under it, not much play there) & guess I'm being a bit cautious.

I've done mine a couple times w/a flathead. The feeler gauge would work better, but I haven't had any issues (scratching the sills or breaking the plugs) w/the screwdriver.

After you do get them off is it just the screws like underneath. Thanks Guys

Yep, same as underneath.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
small flat screwdriver works fine, if you want the feeler gauge you can get them at autozone, napa or your local auto parts store

DanielR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That feeler gauge is what I saw in the pics here on the how-to, thats what I'm tryin to find might try ebay. Chad I tried it with the flat head (even put some paper under it, not much play there) & guess I'm being a bit cautious. Man, if you do scratch them I don't even know how you would fix them, I guess thats somekind of a flat black or something. After you do get them off is it just the screws like underneath. Thanks Guys

Don't worry about breaking them. They are cheaper than cheap.

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/644073-Side-Sill-Screw-Plug

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks reidesign if I can't do it with those then I'm in trouble. Also DanielR thanks for those pics, I thought they were like the bumper plugs, but they're actually a lil' different, but cheap anyway. Thanks Everybody, thats why the VCA is the Greatest!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:you can get the little tool at the little tool store.. lol i hope you suceed well at it!:2tu:

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I couldn't go to sleep knowing I didn't give it a better shot than I did so I went back out there with a narrow screwdriver & thin cloth & GUESS WHAT I've just got the passenger side sill off! Now I'm going to finish the job & also no scratches so far, keep your fingers crossed. Thanks Everybody!

SHELBYVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use fishing line. The newer braided line works great but a 10-20 lb. mono will do. Cut off about two feet of line. Make sure the caps are warm before attempting removal. I use a hairdryer to heat them up. They are easy to break when cold. Any metal tool will mar your finish no matter how careful you are. A credit card will help pop it out if you cant pull it all the way up. Just take your time and you should not have any issues.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it real quick with two credit cards or business cards... pinch and pull... easy as pie. I took mine off before going to the shop once because I didn't want them charging me extra for such an easy job.

Also, you can clean them up while they are off!! =D

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK guys I'm back, whoever said it was easier after you take a few screws out was right. I think I was more intimidated than anything. I'm definitely not a shade tree mechanic, & it was alot easier than I thought, THANKS to you guys. VCA is the Best!

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did it real quick with two credit cards or business cards... pinch and pull... easy as pie. I took mine off before going to the shop once because I didn't want them charging me extra for such an easy job.

Zentenk your right, cause I could see it in their eyes they really did not want to fool with those side sills. I think they look more menancing than they really are, I just hope their as easy putting them back on.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I have them off do any of you recommend I put those lil' plates(with the holes/vents) that go in front of the sills on? Thanks
OK one more question, the muffler shop sells the High Performance Magnaflow mufflers, would it be worth it to put them on with the HF cats or would it make that much difference?

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use caution when you slide the sills back into place.
I had mine repainted once on my Red GTS and when sliding it back in place scratched the sill where it goes under the door hinge area.
Line it up just right before sliding it in place and make sure its horizontal.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use caution when you slide the sills back into place.
I had mine repainted once on my Red GTS and when sliding it back in place scratched the sill where it goes under the door hinge area.
Line it up just right before sliding it in place and make sure its horizontal.

Thanks Jon.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zentenk your right, cause I could see it in their eyes they really did not want to fool with those side sills. I think they look more menancing than they really are, I just hope their as easy putting them back on.

you now have the ability to put them back on, or make sure they know not to over tighten the screws, i also put a dab of silicon in the screw heads

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK one more question, the muffler shop sells the High Performance Magnaflow mufflers, would it be worth it to put them on with the HF cats or would it make that much difference?

they may (will) change the exhaust note, but won't make much of a hp difference as the stock resonators are not too bad performance wise

mgeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same set up on my car (RT hi flows and magnaflow mufflers), excpetion is that it's a side exhaust conversion. If you are asking about sound/tone, I don't like the sound of my set up, not loud enough. I'm either going to remove the cats or try a glasspack muffler instead of the magnaflow. I haven't had the car on a dyno so I can't comment on the performance aspect of it.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your current setup? we are talking about a gen2 rear exit exhaust right? All stock? Still have the rear muffler?
What is your goal? More sound volume? More power?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi