Door Adjustment

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After scaning the old forum posts, I adjusted my driver's door. It is perfect now and am very pleased!! My question is, will it stay adjusted now, or will it have to be re-adjusted in the future? I plan to keep this "sweetheart" for ever and was wondering. Thanks.....Doc

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Keep the hinge lubricated

I think you will need to adjust it every so often

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any of the links saved to the realighnment instructions? I need to fix mine one of these days.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just adjusted mine last night using the "towel method". It took a few tries, but the door opens and closes much easier now, and the interior panel doesn't hit the rear seal because of sag any more.

One thing to be careful of is that when you remove the gill cover, there are stacks of shims under the cover at the screw points. When removing the cover, make note of what shims go where. Also, I found it helpful to put a dab of paint on the hinge at a couple of spots just to give me reference of where the hinge started and where it moved to. IMPORTANT: after you adjust the door, make sure you check window to seal engagment. My first adjustment attempt that had the door "hang" correct caused the window to pinch the seal wrong and would have resulted in horrible wind noise. This was caused by the door being about 1 or 2 MM too far forward. I redid the adjustment using the paint marks as a guide and got the hang and the forward/rear adjustment correct. The whole process for the drivers side door took about 30-45 minutes.

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not really sure if doing the door alignment will fix my issue. The gap between the door and the rear fender is perfect and the door has no problem opening or closing. But the gap between the bottom of the door and crooked. It starts out fine from the hinge side then droops downward by the rear quarter. if i raise the door up then the other gap that is good now will be misaligned.

Any ideas? heres a picture of what im talking about...

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
G

GT40DOC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
McCarlin, you can help that situation with adjustment. These bodys are fiberglass so don't expect "show car" gaps.My GTS has the top of the door(rear portion) slightly higher than the rear fender. It is that way on both sides. You can correct your problem with adjustment, but take your time and use very small adjustments as a little goes a long ways......Doc

SYNFULL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 ACR is exactly the same way. I played with it for hours moving up and down and finally gave up because I was only making it worse.

Gary