DOT Track Slicks/Wheels and Stock tires/wheels: Logistics

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 GTS in NV that I want to bring back to PA, however I'm started the process to keep it there one more year for the next Virginia City Hill Climb.

It has 18" Kinesis K28's with a old set of MXX3's just I just drive around on that still have a ton of tread - and I plan on running them out.

But even if I was getting new street tires, swapping the DOT's in and out for a single event, and then what to do with 2 sets of tires when I tour or ship back to PA is another issue.

The thought of having 2 sets of wheels: road and track is an obvious option.

If the car was where it is going to stay, that would be one thing, but just to have tires for a single event is another matter.

Hummmm.... Ted May from Valaya is just a few hours away. I know he does track support. Wonder if this is up his tree... Maybe work out a deal of borrowing some wheels, buy some new meats, and then let him have them when done.

Or just buy another set of wheels and tires and when done, sell them locally. Shipping them back to PA would be $400 I'd guess.

I won't even get into what size wheels, tires, and compounds at this point. Who knows, maybe 17's might have an advantage.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just buy a set of used Pruner 17's with the tires your going to use ?
Ship the car back to PA when your ready, and the tires will come along with the car?
Now if you want to drive back from NV then yes you will have to shop but you just might
find someone coming back east to race and might bring them as close as possible to you...

I do hope it works out for you....There are plenty of guys that might let you borrow wheels

I do have a set of 17's if your interested....Purner Wheels....

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is currently in Carson City, NV where the Virginia City Hill Climb is.

After the event, I plan to bring the car back to PA.

I'm now leaning towards touring my way back and not shipping. But if I shipped, I don't think there is any way to get a set of tires inside the car. Can't put then on the seats because the diameter is too great to clear the windshield bottom at the door. Besides, in PA, although I hope to join the Pennsylvania HIll Climb Association, with me driving, there is no point to DOT slicks.

So I'm thinking the best thing to do is "what happens in NV, stays in NV."

But I need to touch base with the guy who would drive it. Although he is a rally driver, I think he would have some preferences.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you use a friendly Viper Shipper they will bring the wheels & Tires back for you.
I know that when i transport a car if there are extras that is fine, trailer is enclosed,
even if someone has a 24' trailer to haul her back for you, there is lots of space. Now if
your on a U Haul Trailer it will not work.

Hope to see you in Reading for the Hill Climbs....