Double Bubble Hardtop w/Integrated Roof Duct

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a hardtop from VMANIA.COM tomorrow. A search through the archives yielded positive feedback from various consumers. One thing I didn't find is a description of the latch mechansim on the front and rear. The stock version is hard to secure overall and the scissor type in the rear is defintely an after thought. Does anyone know if these guys improved the latch design. Also, how's their customer service record?

Pls advise!

BTW, any hope of getting a discount based on VCA membership?

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Biff gives all VCA members a discount. I've bought the windows and a MOPAR top from him. He's been very helpful. He lives in NOVA, so it's a short drive for you. The Mopar top bolts onto the back and you have to remove the sportbar. I took the top off for the season this week and it was a pain to remove and then put the sport bar back on. I'd say as long as the top doen't get sucked off by the vacuum, the clips are a better deal.

OP
OP
K

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Since I have a GEN II 99 RT/10, I was hoping for something with less hassle...i.e., don't wont to remove anything to put top on and off. Perferably, something light weight, improved latch design, no squeaks or rattles and no water leaks and no removal of the sports bar.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell me again, someone, how do I get the plastic piece off of the fixed sport bar so I can bolt on the stock hard top? I looked in the manual and the procedure isn't clear, at least to me.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
A nice slim open end wrench will do it. Take a look (from the inside of the cabin) up & under the "sport bar pad". There are "slots" in the sport pad that allow you to slip the wrench in, loosen the bolts, and the sport cap comes right off.

If I'm not mistaken, at that point, you have to remove the bolts, replace them with the factory provided tapered rods and install the hardtop (if it's a factory top).

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, now we are getting somewhere. If I'm in the car, sort of twisted round, looking up at the underside of the sports bar, where are the underside slots in relation to the slits on the topside where the soft top brackets plug in? How many bolts need to be removed before I can pull off the pad piece?

Jon-Mike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought many things from Biff (most recently one of his new hardtops and another set of Vmania windows). He is great - great products, great service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His top is awesome...I think I am just now wishing I had gotten the scoop in the top!!!!!!!! Don't hesitate to give him your business - you won't be sorry.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The support bar has two bolts that secure it to the car, and two bolt "pins" that the soft top latches too (also atached to the car). If your looking dead on at the soft support bar, about 2"on the left (passenger side) and right (drivers side) are the securing bolts. They are on the underside, there is a little "notched" area that identifies them as the bolt area.

Buy a 1/2" self racheting wrench, or a quick wrench (I did) which makes removal 90% faster than using a regular wrench.

I have the mopar hard top, but am looking at the Vmania (Do have their windows!).

MadMaxx

snakoil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of those silly ratcheting wrenches makes taking the bolts off the sports bar faster. I think with a normal wrench you get aobut a 1/4 turn.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe117, there are 4 bolts (2 on each side) spaced about
equally on either side of the slot for the soft top. I would
estimate 3-4 inches on either side of the soft top slot in the sport bar/pad.

You can just loosed the bolts maybe one or one and a half turns each, then lift the sport pad straight up, since the holes are slotted...Then remove the bolts and put em in a secure place for next time!

Tomer

OP
OP
K

Kevin Stitely

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to say this site has provided tremendous "value add" to my viper experience thus far. Based on the feed back from the replies and a search through the archives, I've decided to go with VMANIA. Per conversation with Biff, it's evident these guys capitalize on the weeknesses of stock parts (i.e., latch mechanism on the mopar hardtop). His version of the double bubble hard top is exactly what I'm looking for...especially the integrated roof duct.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For you guys/gals with significant others, you must do a better job than I at getting approval for purchases...My 96 RT came with the Mopar Top, and although its more difficult to install, I am happy with it...Also, can't get approval from the Minister of Domestic Affairs to buy another hard top when I have a perfectly good one already...

So, instead, I spent some of that Money on the HF cats and Corsa 3"cat back system...I can't say enough good things about the Corsa, now my beast sounds like a beast, but not toooo loud...

Another intersting note, with the stock side curtains installed, and the hardtop on, I can now use my cell phone at 70-80 mph and actually be heard by the person on the other end...With the stock exhaust system, forgetaboutit...

Tomer
96 RT