Drag - proper burnout tips?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to do a good, proper burnout to prepare for a drag race? Obviously I know how to do a burnout, but I am wondering about how long you do it, and stuff like that. How do you know when it is ready? Any tips?

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I am big into drag racing, but I know what the experts first question will be. What kind of tires are you using?

If you're using OEM Michelin, you may want to avoid the water box and just do a brief dry spin (1 seconds or so) to clean the tires. Not sure a smokey burnout makes a difference with factory rubber. But I'll let the experts answer.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Even if I'm running on my Michelins I go into the water box. Then pull out just in front of the box, Drop the clutch tap your break and let the car roll slowly forward. You will feel when all of the water is gone and the tires will start to bite.

If you have BFG's stay in the box, drop the clutch hit the break and hold so you stay put. Spin up to 5500 rpm's for about 10 seconds ,let off break and roll forward till they bite.

Note: If you keep spinning after you feel them bite you just pulled off all the sticky rubber

Hope this helps.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have tread on the front tires, pull around the water, and BACK in if you are going to do a water burn out. Now I have never used a line lock or used the brakes in the water. If you are in the water, do a 2nd gear burn out and as the car moves out of the water, stay in it until the good traction starts to pull the RPM down. Why 2nd gear, the wheel speed is much faster, I, if I were drag racing any more and with the Viper, might even try 3rd gear for even faster wheel speed.
Later,

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For slicks drive into the water box, spin tires slowly, creep out of the box and start your burnout outside of the box (keeps the box water fairly clean for the next guys).
For treaded tires avoid the box. Darn near impossible to get rid of all the water and you will probably hurt either your launch or the person following you.

acrdakota

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated if your not running skinnies up front drive AROUND the water box. The last thing you want to do is drag a ton of water right into where your trying to get traction.

On radials do a short dry hop to clean the tires and thats it. The rubber on street tires is a harder compound, if you try to smoke them up they will get greasy, ball up the rubber, and slip MORE.

On slicks stick to 2nd gear burnouts when you BACK into the water box. You'll need to learn how to heel/toe brake it, spin the motor up and hold the brake while your giving it a good amount of throttle. Once the clutch is all the way out you can lay into the throttle and modulate roll with the brake. Once you get them good and warm let the brake out and lift off the throttle as the car rolls forward. DO NOT dry hop the slicks once they are hot. Stage the car and haul ass.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte