Drag Racing Tires

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on VA and got lots of views but not much feedback.

I am currently running 335 35-17 Hoosier DOT drag radials that are 25.9" in diameter and have run a best time just under 12 seconds at 120 MPH in 3rd gear. In third I sometimes hit the rev limiter and sometimes do not.

I recently bought some 18" Forgelines and am looking at going to 345 35-18 MT ET Street II's that have a 27.5" diameter. I am guessing this will push me to about 127 MPH before hitting the rev limiter in third and will allow me to launch at a higher RPM (4,000 or so instead of 3,500).

Any advice before I order these? It does not look like the 27.5" tire would have any clearance issue on a 96 GTS. Anybody running the MT ET Streets fulltime with Pilot Sports up front? How does the car handle overall, and how are the MT ET Streets in the rain?

I am also going to install a VEC III with Sean Roes recommended tune for my minor mods (smooth tube, filters, HF cats and Borla cat back). Will Roe's VEC III tune raise the rev limiter RPM or will it be the same as factory? I dyno at 455 RWHP and have the stock 3.07 rear end.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted this on VA and got lots of views but not much feedback.

I am currently running 335 35-17 Hoosier DOT drag radials that are 25.9" in diameter and have run a best time just under 12 seconds at 120 MPH in 3rd gear. In third I sometimes hit the rev limiter and sometimes do not.

I recently bought some 18" Forgelines and am looking at going to 345 35-18 MT ET Street II's that have a 27.5" diameter. I am guessing this will push me to about 127 MPH before hitting the rev limiter in third and will allow me to launch at a higher RPM (4,000 or so instead of 3,500).

Any advice before I order these? It does not look like the 27.5" tire would have any clearance issue on a 96 GTS. Anybody running the MT ET Streets fulltime with Pilot Sports up front? How does the car handle overall, and how are the MT ET Streets in the rain?

I am also going to install a VEC III with Sean Roes recommended tune for my minor mods (smooth tube, filters, HF cats and Borla cat back). Will Roe's VEC III tune raise the rev limiter RPM or will it be the same as factory? I dyno at 455 RWHP and have the stock 3.07 rear end.

Those are relatively new, i don't think many have tried them yet. I run the same tire in a 16", but it has a much higher side wall, therefore, not a good comparison.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set on my 04. I wrote some threads on this tire already somewhere on the board. Refresh...... The tires are good for straight not to good for turns. I had sport cups on the front and it was completely undrivable. I put some runflats (old stock tires) made it better but honestly not the tire to cruise around in. It did improve my times on the dragstrip (love those tires for that) you have to cut the air to 12 lbs to make them get down on the track and stick. I never launched at that high RPM my best 60' was 1.48 11.88 121MPH 3.73 gears I usually go off at around 1800 with a gradual realase.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like them alot. I was running BFG DRs before these. I haven't launched them over 2500 RPMs though.... (New engine) But, I don't get the wheel spin when I run up the RPMs from a roll.
* I am using a Quaiffe diff. which makes a huge difference*

My car is lowered with Eibachs and caps. I am also running 28# air in the tires while driving around. (I will try CANYON707's experience with 12# for a "dig" when I get the car back.)

As far as every day driving... The MTs don't have the "sway" in the back end on turns that the BFGs did. Believe it or not, they don't rub that much, if at all.
They are Drag Radials though. They ARE different to drive on than the PS2s etc.. THEY ARE NOT FOR THE TWISTIES, for sure.

I would compare it to driving with a half full glass of water on the center console...

Well, maybe not that bad. But you will need to adjust your driving habits for everyday driving.

m_011.jpg

m_010.jpg

Last edited:

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched from the BFGs to the MT and will never go back! You will not regret it.

They don't rub at all with my eibachs. I was launching at 4k and still dead hooked, so these tires have more traction than I have power right now.

With the VEC3 you can set the rev limiter wherever you want it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte