Drag Radials

mopar75110

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to buy drag radials and would appreciate opinions. Would you prefer BFGoodrich, Nitto, or what? I will put a few street miles on them, (not many). Thanks.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BFG! If you're not doing a ton of street driving, they're perfect! I had them on my car for about a year. They feel odd at first, but you grow to love them. They hook reeeeeally well on the street!

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BFGs are great, but the new Mickey Thomson drag radials are a little better. I was at the track the other day and had a car cut a 1.39 on them. They are like running on ET Streets. I have no idea how they drive on the street, but I was more than impressed how they were on the track. I have cut as good as a 1.49 on my BFGs and I drive on the streets everyday on mine with no problems.
I have found the Nittos drive great in the rain, but are so so on the track. On the other hand, the BFGs hook great everywhere but are scary in the rain (the old style...the new G-force are not that bad in the rain). That is just my opinion...hope that helps.
Joe

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the MT's for the Viper out yet?

They are out in 16" for sure. Fuelman had them on his car in Gainesville 2 weeks ago. He liked them. I know he walked off and left me in 1st and 2nd gear on my pilots.

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified--I'm talking about the 18's they're supposed to be coming out with.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
They are out in 16" for sure. Fuelman had them on his car in Gainesville 2 weeks ago. He liked them. I know he walked off and left me in 1st and 2nd gear on my pilots.

[/QUOTE]

Mike your car makes great power, more than mine I think. I was trapping upwards of 134 mph and I think you were right in there too, but you need a set of tires bad, I am sure your car would have gone in the 10s with the BFGs or the Mickey Thompsons.

I like the BFGs, they look good on the car also. I have pulled 1.49 - 1.50 sixty foots with them. However these Mickey Thompsons felt like they were digging harder, even though the best I did that day was 1.62. I need a little practice with them. Neither tire would be good for a lot of street use, but the BFGs are more stable. I have driven 200 + miles back and forth to Bradenton on them, but rough surfaces can be scary. I would not consider driving more than 50 miles on the Mickey Thompsons, just too unstable on the street, but fine on the track. In the rain on either tire pull over and get some coffee and wait it out.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have clarified--I'm talking about the 18's they're supposed to be coming out with.

M/T's email to me a few months ago was that the 18" Drag Radials are coming out in Feb/march 05.

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
buy the BFG. ive had them on my car for about a year and they hook real good. Don't drive with them in the rain because they don't give any traction in water. NOT for cornering either.

Max

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like the BFG's, at the track good for 1.4's 60'. On the street alot of fun with only 17 lbs. I drive to the track and back about 57 miles round trip.

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the new Mickey Thomson drag radials
are the best so far , they even hook on the rain no joke
a friend has them on a 240z v8 powered runs 11's
and they work great, they have more thread than the bfg,
the BFG are good but if you have good power you can still spin them under 50mph.
to bad they dont have the MT drags in 17's or 18's yet

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell, if I'm going to buy some tires that are worse on the street than the BFG's, I'll just go right to slicks and skinnies!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the new Mickey Thomson drag radials
are the best so far , they even hook on the rain no joke
a friend has them on a 240z v8 powered runs 11's
and they work great, they have more thread than the bfg,
the BFG are good but if you have good power you can still spin them under 50mph.
to bad they dont have the MT drags in 17's or 18's yet

M/T's wesbite shows a P275/40R17 with 10.2" tread width and 25.7" diameter. (pre-production estimated dimensions) www.mickeythompsontires.com

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are any of you using your 13" wide rear wheels with the BFG Drag Radials??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my BFGs on a set of CCW 18X13s, The Bfg is actually 10 mm wider than the stock tire.

I think he must be talking about 17" BFG's--isn't the largest they come in 17" like a 305 or something?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are any of you using your 13" wide rear wheels with the BFG Drag Radials??

I have my BFGs on a set of CCW 18X13s, The Bfg is actually 10 mm wider than the stock tire.

This is what it looks like.

6400IMGP2335-med.JPG

6400IMGP2339-med.JPG

6400IMGP2347-med.JPG

vd..

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he wants to know is whether a 315/35/17 drag radial will work on a 13" wheel. I would think it would be ok, but not having tried it, can't say one way or the other.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he wants to know is whether a 315/35/17 drag radial will work on a 13" wheel. I would think it would be ok, but not having tried it, can't say one way or the other.

Most put them on the front wheel. I believe the 10 or 11 inch rims work better than trying to extend to the tire to fit a 13" rim.

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike your car makes great power, more than mine I think. I was trapping upwards of 134 mph and I think you were right in there too, but you need a set of tires bad, I am sure your car would have gone in the 10s with the BFGs or the Mickey Thompsons.

I like the BFGs, they look good on the car also. I have pulled 1.49 - 1.50 sixty foots with them. However these Mickey Thompsons felt like they were digging harder, even though the best I did that day was 1.62. I need a little practice with them. Neither tire would be good for a lot of street use, but the BFGs are more stable. I have driven 200 + miles back and forth to Bradenton on them, but rough surfaces can be scary. I would not consider driving more than 50 miles on the Mickey Thompsons, just too unstable on the street, but fine on the track. In the rain on either tire pull over and get some coffee and wait it out.

[/QUOTE]

Yes I do need tires. I tried to get some purners but they didn't have any in stock before the race. They would have helped lower my e.t some but the mph tells the story. My car made great power on the dyno(more than your car I believe) but it still only got 132 mph trap speed one time. The rest of the runs were all in the 12 sec. and 120's mph. :confused: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdinc98117