Drag T/A vs. Pilot Sport Sport Cup

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested in the Pilot Sport Cup & Drag T/A for the rear tires on my ACR. 345/30-18 is the size available, has anyone who has used these tires taken a tape measure to check the actual installed height. I just installed a Mopar 3:55 Diff and am anticipating some traction issues in first gear. Again I'm interested in an actual measurement by someone who has these tires. Other than the gears my car is a stock 2000 ACR, Dynojet #'s are as follows: 423.7 HP and 460.7 ft/lb Torque.

Additionally, is the Drag T/A handling acceptable on the street?

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a search on the drag radials and found LOTS of posts with good info including some pictures posted by a guy with a white Gen III. Seemed to me the call on street handling with Drag Radials was if they were at 30 psi they were fine, but down at the optimal 15 psi they were squirrely and not acceptable for turning corners, and if it rains - forget it. I did not find much for comemnts on the Cups, but what I learned was that almost universally, for street use, the Kumho V700 is the preferred "R" compound tire. The listed heights for all three tires are within tenths of an inch of 26" and the difference would be negligible if those dimensions are true. Here is a pic of the drag radial on an 18" SSR Comp wheel.

6400IMGP2335-med.JPG

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The BFG is not going to be anywhere close to the Cups (or Kumhos) in the handling department, even at 30 psi, because the sidewalls are much, much softer than the other tires. If you want to go even moderately fast around corners, go with the Cups or Kumhos. The BFG's can't be beat for straight line traction, but there is a very significant tradeoff in cornering capability.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Michelin website lists the diameters for their tires. Interesting to compare different tires with same sizes like 33535z18 are different diameters.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have them on my 02. If you want I can check height tonight. They are not cheap, but the traction is GREAT!

Andy

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I would actually love a measurement Andy, exactly which tire is on your car? If the Cups hook that would certainly be the best of both worlds, again my car is stock with gears.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. How much are the Cups, Kumos and BFG? Last time I checked there was no 18" kumo to fit the rear :confused:
Cheers, Tom

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TireRack has 18" Kumho's for the rear, 335/30 18 @ $245.00 each. I just purchased a set of rims and snow tires from them for my wife's CLK. I must say, seems to be a first class organization. Very impressive.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your car is stock and you plan to keep it that way, you don't really need the BFG's. The other tires mentioned here should hook well and you'll still be able to take a corner.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember right the cups were about 400 ea for the rear 345/18. Definately not cheap. I had to work late last night, but I will take a pic. & measure when I get home. One more thing, there is not much tread on these tires & I have no idea how long they will last. I just didn't want to take any chances with my DLM car.

Andy