Drive it or transport it.....

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, well I finally bought a 97 GTS (red) with warranty. My only dilema is
I live in Orange County, Ca and the car is located in Dallas, TX. I have not
seen the car in person except for pics but the person selling it assures me I will not be dissapointed and it still has extended factory warranty from Crysler untill Dec 04. Would you guys buy the car and have it shipped or would you fly to Texas and drive it 1500 miles back? Let me know what you guys would do or have done.

thanks

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have it inspected by a Viper club member or even better a viper Tech? If so.....DRIVE IT!!! By the time you get home you will be wishing the trip was 3,000 miles.

Bill

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I absolutely would not buy it without either flying there and inspecting it or having someone from the board here look at it for you. There are a ot folks here from Texas. Having said that, the transport thing is a matter of time versus money, and which one is more valuable to you personally.

yellow94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRIVE IT!! I live in CT and purchased my Viper in FL. My son and I flew down and shared the 1200 mile drive home. Best time we ever had. Next one I buy will be on the West coast so the drive home is longer!!! :2tu:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider your driving route and time of the year for weather as well. I bought mine from Texas in April/May and knew I had to drive through Oklahoma and Kansas which could be prone to hail storms that time of year and did not want to risk having a Viper full of lumps and thus ended up having it shipped. I got lucky with the timing and had the car 2 days after calling the shipping company, but this is not the norm from what I understand.

OP
OP

93Cobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am leaning towards driving it but 2002 GTS brings up a good point regarding weather. If I drive, I will be going thru New Mexico and Arizona. I wonder
if I could take a route from texas where I would not have to worry about hail or snow.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my SRT in Phoenix and drove it back to San Diego, and the car was brand new. I still wanted to see it. You have to go see the car, what if it has scratches and stuff like that, you dont know if the transport guys did it or the car already had them. I would go get the car and drive it back if I was you

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Hi all, well I finally bought a 97 GTS (red) with warranty. My only dilema is
I live in Orange County, Ca and the car is located in Dallas, TX. I have not
seen the car in person except for pics but the person selling it assures me I will not be dissapointed and it still has extended factory warranty from Crysler untill Dec 04. Would you guys buy the car and have it shipped or would you fly to Texas and drive it 1500 miles back? Let me know what you guys would do or have done.

thanks

You didn't buy it from Amer at Auto Link in Dallas did you? If so, you need to contact me immediately regarding this Red 97 Viper. I had the car professionally inspected and have a full report of why you do not want this car!

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats! on your purchase. Your gonna love it. I'd fly out look at it if all is well then I'd drive it home. :2tu:

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRIVE IT !!!

Check weather and route as mentioned by members and drive it, it will be one of the best experiences you will have with your new love. You will know everything about the car by the time you get to OC.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee is 100% correct! If you haven't had it inspected by either a viper tech or a VCA member, then AT LEAST look at the car and drive it around some before you nail the deal as done. Once you're sure the car is all it is supposed to be then drive it back or ship - whichever suit you.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do not buy a car without examining it in-person first. Your definition of "will not be disappointed" and the seller's definition may not be the same. You're spending at least $40,000 -- you need to know exactly what you're buying. I strongly recommend you contact the VCA president in that area, and I'm sure he can arrange to have a Viper-knowledgeable member look at the car for or with you. Having recently gone through this exercise with a potential buyer, I speak from considerable experience. We checked out 5 GTS's in all -- 2 were in very good to excellent condition (he bought one of those), and 3 were better left behind. Two of those 3 had no coolant in either the reservoir or the overflow bottle!

Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge is the only salesperson I would trust to sell me a used Viper sight unseen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte