Drive train noise. 02 RT/10

Erical

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 02 RT 10 with 12k miles, purchased at 8k miles. It has a drive train noise/whine, most apparent at 65 MPH on pull only; silent on coast. Quiet at lower speeds, probably drowned out at higher speeds. It is the same in all gears and the noise is relative to road speed, not engine speed. It is more apparent when the car is fully warmed up, not so much when the car is cold.

I suspect the differential. Probably the ring and pinion because it appears with pull; disappears with coast, rather than the bearings.

Any similar experiences/advice???/

Eric

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you hear anything when making turns? I'd say the rear diff fluid has never been changed. Start with that. Don't forget the additive too.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on diff fluid change. Use the Mopar diff fluid and the friction modifier.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
forget about changeing the fluid, wont work, ring and pinion loose tolerance, usually due to heavy tork load from a low speed or stop and heavy go- sometimes you can re shim them, but sometimes the gears will not match back up correctly and then you have gear noise, so replace the complete gears and bearings and be done. and dont drag race with it,cause it will happen again