Drivers door doesn't unlock with remote

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drivers door doesn\'t unlock with remote

Hello
My 97 GTS drivers door no longer unlocks with the remote. (the passengers side works fine. (I noticed the light in the rocker switch doesn't light up either on the drivers side. Passenger's side lights up fine) I have to use the emergency lever to open the drivers door and with the window up I can't get to the emergency lever!
Any ideas?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Drivers door doesn\'t unlock with remote

try synco your FOB's by holding both buttons down at the same time until you hear your horn honk to confirm. I upgraded my FOB's with the newer ones and they seem to work well.

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When you say "remote" do you mean the outside electric switch????
With the window up, unlock the hatch and reach around the pillar to release the emergency lever.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like an electrical problem, open circuit. Also you can easily open the drivers door by lifting the rear hatch, then reaching inside for the emergency exit
smile.gif

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is probably one of two things.. either a microswitch failure.. or a break in the wiring.

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a wiring problem..
frown.gif

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm with Afy. My 2000 GTS had the driver's door speakers stop working. The wires had broken clean inside the rubber boot that goes between the door and door jamb. I would check there first. I had to edit this post to add that it was one speaker wire and another wire that had something to do with the door latch. But, both had broken clean. We made up some short lines so that the splices would not be inside the boot anymore, but inside the car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting on the wiring. They ordered a new door switch for my driver's door a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it will get in this week. My deal was that it would not open from the inside, but the outside switch worked fine. Been using the "emergency" release on the driver's side to get out for now. I also noticed that when I stop the car it isn't always "releasing" the locks (either side) now. Hopefully the switch has something to do with it. We shall see...

Chris