driving impressions new SPEC carbon fiber clutch/al flywheel

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finailly stoped rainig long enough I could drive my car after installing new clutch. First thing i noticed was "grabby" the car now feels. You let off a little and your moving. Second was how quick the car revs up. (it does make the car feel faster!) third was how grabby it is on downshifting! I did not notice any "rattling" (however I do have the short throw shift kit)

This was a pretty easy install, the hard part was getting the transmission bell housing between the narrow frame rails. Book say to move the motor up a little. Bullsh1t! You have to take the bell housing off, mount that to the motor then the tranmission to it. Physically impossible to clear the rails after its pulled back off the spline.

Very happy with the clutch, hopefully it will last more than 20000 miles.

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you follow the 400 mile break in procedure ... I installed the same set up in a '01 SS today and it felt very good. I did notice a little chatter on a slow easy launch. I told the customer to try to be easy on it for a while to seat the disc in and his response was...Yea Right !!! I have used carbon fiber puck style clutches before and never had a issue with a break in procedure. Let me know how the clutch hangs with a couple of hard launches...I may install one in my car if it works out OK.
Later,
Joe

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dansauto:

It is not easy, however, lower the rear of the engine a little, clear clutch, rotate the trans (clockwise looking forward), angle the tailshaft down and pray, it does come down. All this is done on an adjustable axis transmission jack because the trans weighs 135#. I don't know why, however, it goes in a lot easier.

I would like to hear if anyone has installed a similar clutch and if they have used it with ET slicks

OP
OP
D

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got about 100 miles on it now, It doesn't chatter, but really grabs when you try to do an easy take off. My dealer costs with flywheel was $850. That's only $100 more than the OEM LUK clutch and flywheel from Sean. I wanted the carbon pads as I am going to have about 750 RWHP and was afraid the OEM clutch would not hold up. I know from experiance (with large trucks) the carbon pad clutchs last much longer and engage firmer.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch I've bben using this season is based on a Archer kevlar clutch. Since it did only last for about 20 runs did we do the following with it.
The Pressure Plate surface was reworked with new angles. The Disc did get the kevlar replaced with Iron Sinters. That setup lasted for about 30 runs...my launch rpm is 5000rpm so the clutch does take a lot of stress...

Next season will i use a adjustable pressure plate, with 2 sintered iron discs. The gear box will be a Jeric 4-speed.

RON98GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had the spec 3 in my Mustang 500 rwhp. It was a world of difference. I loved it. It did chatter backing up though. I will buy one for my Viper when the time comes. Its the one to have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960